Greater Spartanburg Projects & Developments

Spartan

The city is getting a new urbanist style development on the Westside at WO Ezell and Arrowhead. Its only 5 acres, but it will have 22 homes ranging from 1600 to 2200 sq ft. with prices ranging from $200k to $300k. The land was just rezoned to allow for denser housing.

This is good news because its bringing people back into the city, and its using new urbanist principles. I question how useful the connectivity issues will be in this particular development, since Ezell is a major artery and Arrowhead has a rather steep hill going up behind it (who would want to walk/bike that?). But its definitely a step in the right direction. Its also a great location- 5 minutes to downtown and to the major shopping/retail destinations in town.

Article

I know the guy developing this. I'll see if I can find out anything more.

The city is getting a new urbanist style development on the Westside at WO Ezell and Arrowhead. Its only 5 acres, but it will have 22 homes ranging from 1600 to 2200 sq ft. with prices ranging from $200k to $300k. The land was just rezoned to allow for denser housing.

This is good news because its bringing people back into the city, and its using new urbanist principles. I question how useful the connectivity issues will be in this particular development, since Ezell is a major artery and Arrowhead has a rather steep hill going up behind it (who would want to walk/bike that?). But its definitely a step in the right direction. Its also a great location- 5 minutes to downtown and to the major shopping/retail destinations in town.

Article

• 3 weeks later...

Pizza Inn is going to reopen in Hillcrest and on the Westside, but in new locations. The old ones all around town had closed except for the one on Asheville Hwy and in Boiling Springs, so its good that they are going to oipen some new ones. I always liked Pizza Inn.

On the Westisde it will be located next to the former Symposium Cafe in a new strip shopping center that will have two other businesses in it. The owner uses the term "upscale" to describe his new restaurant. I'll believe it when I see it.

They didn't say where they one in Hillcrest would go, but I would assume in its former location on Fernwood-Glendale.

• 2 weeks later...

The GSA Business Journal had a nice article on Johnson Development Associates plans to dramatically revitalize the Cedar Springs Shopping Center at SC-295 and SC-56. It looks as though Food Lion will anchor the center (replacing Winn-Dixie) and Walgreens will build a stand alone store where Hardees now sits. For all the Hardees fans they are relocating a little further back from their existing location.

The new Hardee's was practically finished about two or three weeks ago when I was home. Its much nicer than the old one. I think this new shopping center will really improve Cedar Springs. If you look at the way the new center is being designed, the new grocery store will face 295 and not Cedar Springs Rd.

They've also changed around the intersection of Union and Southport to make Southport the thru-road, roather than Union St.

The one that burned near Ingles? Drat. I was hoping they would re-open in the previous location since it's more convenient for me.

Oh well, at least that will be better than getting in and out of Pizza Hut, and we'll have chocolate chip pizza again.

Thats the one. The previous location is some other pizza buffet restaurant now, from what I was told. I think that whole strip of land from Lan-Yair to Zion Hill is going to explode once Easton really gets going.

Unless something opened there yesterday, the old location on Fernwood-Glendale is empty. There was a pointer on the sign for a while directing people to some pizza buffet place down at Cedar Springs.

For my part, I'm hoping for Target (Super or not), B&N or Borders, Best Buy or Circuit City and a stadium-seating theatre for Easton. A Kohl's would be icing on the cake. That would almost eliminate any reason to go to the west side of town. Actually I almost never go over there as it is now. If there's something I need from one of the stores over there, I can usually wait until the next time I have to go to my office in Greenville and then combine all my errands while I'm over there.

Oh, well I could be wrong. I haven't actually been there to see for myself.

I completely agree though. I would love it if the Eastside could become large enough to where you never need to go to the westside. There would need to be some more clothiers though (more mall type retailers).

• 3 weeks later...

We have some new info on the westside development that would connect Caldwell Drive to Reidville Rd.... Its going to be called Old River Place. It will be built with new urbanist principles, including 17acres of high end retail and 10 acres of dense housing, with an unspecified number of SFR.

This will be the largest new urban-style development in Spartanburg so far. They haven't said that it will be a "New Urbanist" community though, so who knows what it will actually be. My guess is some kind of TND type of development.

[Ariticle

Fantastic! I'm glad this is underway. I hope this will help turn Arcadia around. Its actually a pretty good location, and a cool neighborhood. From an urban development perspective it has a lot of potential because it has potential for some moderate density on the vacant lots, and if parks were added and some corner stores moved in, it could be an awesome neighborhood. Anyone know if that area is in the city limits or not?

Glad to find this forum!

My wife has often made fun of me for being excited about new developments going up in Spartanburg. BTW, our property borders the "New Urbanist" community on WO Ezell/Arrowhead.....I sure hope it raises our property value, but I'm going to miss having the woods as my backyard. My wife is worried that it's going to drive all the snakes onto our property. :lol:

Anyway, I've got a couple pieces of info that I didn't see posted. One is that the new Exxon station at the intersection of 29 and I-85 will contain a Subway restaurant. The other item is that the former Pranza (also formerly Canyons) will be reopening as a Mellow Mushroom this fall. Good stuff!

Also, the former location of Pizza Inn on WO Ezell has a "contact pending" sign out. Not sure who is buying it, but I'm betting that it'll be some type of restaurant once something is built there.

EDIT: Daggumit....just saw this stuff mentioned in another thread. Sorry about the duplicate.

Edited by clemsonfn

Welcome to the forum! You are definitely not alone. I always thought I was weird because I was interested in new developments around town... now its a career path ;)

I'm interested to see how this new urbanist community works out. I'm interested to see the plans for it, and how it will fit into the new urban realm of things.

Don't worry about duplicate posts. It happens all the time. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum! You are definitely not alone. I always thought I was weird because I was interested in new developments around town... now its a career path ;)

I'm interested to see how this new urbanist community works out. I'm interested to see the plans for it, and how it will fit into the new urban realm of things.

Don't worry about duplicate posts. It happens all the time. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the welcome!

I spoke with the builder of this community, and all of the houses will be two story. My biggest concern is the spacing. 25 houses on 5 acres leaves 0.2 acres per house. As if that's not close enough (and it doesn't count the internal access roads), apparently the center of the community will be some type of "common area" for residents to gather and meet. Sounds like a good idea in concept, but I can't get my mind around how close together the houses will have to be. And if I was going to drop $200K-$300K on a house, I sure wouldn't want to be able to open my window and touch the house next to me. :huh:

I believe this community will be modeled around the one at the intersection of Country Club and Pine St., and the spacing seems fine there. I think this one will be much more compressed.