Greater Spartanburg Projects & Developments

Spartan

I really remember that deck on sonny's. It was those days we had last summer in the upper 90's. We built our selves a little tent to cover up from the heat cause it was deadly outside. That old Smith distribution warehouse is comming along very nicely. I love those brick on it, and they turned out looking great i think. I believe QS/1 has bought all that land that stretches out in front of the the Smith distribution building(the land that is covered in kudzu? I heard a rumor that they were going to have some kind of walking trail going to the integral solutions building. I think it is very good Spartanburg is cleaning up this area. One of those houses got demolished that used to be on the street beside the Smith building. It is not there anymore. We did a lot of demolition on the Smith building also tearing out for those big windows that went in there and patching other ones up.

I drove by the warehouse renovation the other day and it will be a great addition to that part of town. I hope that it will spur more cleaning devopment around it as well as residential. The city does have a Thompson Street development plan, but I don't know what stage it is in right now. That area has some of the nicest views of downtown around.

The HJ has an exciting story today about the Arkwright site. The idea is to turn it into a championship golf course. I was first skeptical when I read the headline, but it looks like there are several partners and agencys involved, and Fazio golf is onboard which is awesome.

READ and ponder.

Edited by hub-city

Looks like some investors might be buying the Radisson Hotel and Suites. Roberts Hotel Group. The article reads as though their niche is buying up undervalued properties and making improvements on them. According to the article, they'll be keeping the Radisson name.

http://www.goupstate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../610170374/1026

• 3 weeks later...

i know this is an old post but i was doing some looking on the internet for our apartments and the hard hard work they are doing to this biulding. and i did not like the quote that you made in this post. yes there may be alot of ppl here in this building that are on low income want to know why because they are elderly ppl and disabled ppl and i am one of those ppl. just because we are either elderly or disabled and on low income does not mean we are any different than anyone else in this city. we thank god everyday that we have the schuyler apts which is a roof over our heads every night and they are doin a lot of renovating now to bring this building back up to where it should be yes the building may have went as you so called it down hill well yah its a building that is over 50 yrs old what do you expect. anyhow just thought you should know that we were very upset at the comment made here and would like to be known as the same as other ppl no matter where we live or what income we are on. and if you do some more research you might find that more than half the ppl in the building pay the full rent each month. thank you.

this was a reply to a quote made about the schulyer apts

I'd like to start by saying welcome to the forum! I have to confess that I am at somewhat of a loss as to which post you are referring to. I read back and the only remotely derogatory post about the Schuyler Building that I could find was one that I made some time ago about its appearance. Back then I said that it is not an attractive building, and I still think that is true today. That doesn't mean that the building itself does not serve a purpose, and my comment was certainly not directed towards the residents of this building.

Please enlighten us as to what sort of rennovations are taking place in the Schuyler Building, as we are certainly not all knowing here and we are interested in all developments in our city!

HI SORRY IF THAT WAS NOT INTENDED TOWARDS THE TENANTS HERE AT THE SCHUYELR APARTMENTS, BUT IT JUST SEEMED LIKE IT WAS WHEN YOU SAID LOW INCOME. AND IT MADE OUR APARTMENTS LOOK BAD. WE ARE ONE BIG FMILY HERE AND WATCH OUT FOR EACH OTHER HERE. YES THE OUTSIDE DOES LOOK A LITTLE ROUGH BUT LIKE I SAID THE BUILDING IS OVER 50 YRS OLD SO YOU CAN EXPECT THAT. THEY ARE WORKING HARD RIGHT NOW TO FIX THAT. PLS THE INSIDE RIGHT NOW AS FAR AS THE APRTMENTS LOOK GOOD BUT WE WILL BE GETTING BRAND NEW APARTMENTS SOON . BRAND NEW FLOORS, WINDOWS, BATHROOMS, KITCHENS, ETC. AND WHEN I SAY BATHROOM AND KITCHENS I AM TALKING BOUT THE THINGS IN THEM SUCH AS SINKS AND STOVES AND SUCH . THE BIG BAY WINDOWS WILL BE REPLACED WITH BRAND NEW BAY WINDOWS OUR PATIO DOORS FOR THE ONES THAT HAVE PATIOS WILL HAVE BRAND NEW FRENCH DOORS. THE PATIORS WILL BE REDONE . THERE IS AOT OF WORK IN THE MAKING FOR THESE APARTMENTS RIGHT NOW AND WILL TAKE SOME TIME SINCE THERE ARE PPL LIVING HERE AND WILL HAVE TO MOVE THESE PPL IN THE PROCESS OF THE RENOVATION OF EACH APARTMENT. BUT AT THE END OF IT ALL WE ARE GOING TO HAVE A WONDERFUL BUILDING TO LIVE IN WHICH WE ALREADY HAVE BUT YES IT IS AN OLD BUILDING AND NEEDS SOME WORK DONE. THIS BUILDING I BELIEVE HAS MADE THE HISTORIC BUILDINGS IN SC IF I HEARD RIGHT FROM SOMEONE.. IF I FIND ANYTHING ELSE ABOUT THE UPCOMING RENOVATIONS ON THE BUILDING I WILL POST IT. THANK YOU

That is excellent news about the rennovations. The Schuyler Buliding is definitely an asset to Spartanburg, and I am glad that they are in the process of improving it.

I have always thought the owners of the Schuyler building should renovate and make it into a show place. If the existing building was totally renovated into apartments and/or condo's you could tier the top with new construction adding 2-3 floors in lightweight metal framing ( much like a wedding cake) and the top could have an illuminated crown. The other tiered floors would have outside greenery from the roof over the floor below. The parking area could be courtyarded off with private parking and great landscaping. It could really be more of a landmark and a gem for Spartanburg.

I have always thought the owners of the Schuyler building should renovate and make it into a show place. If the existing building was totally renovated into apartments and/or condo's you could tier the top with new construction adding 2-3 floors in lightweight metal framing ( much like a wedding cake) and the top could have an illuminated crown. The other tiered floors would have outside greenery from the roof over the floor below. The parking area could be courtyarded off with private parking and great landscaping. It could really be more of a landmark and a gem for Spartanburg.

• 3 weeks later...

This morning's H-J reports that the city council and local real estate developers have reached an agreement on a financing plan to construct a grocery store on South Church Street at the site of the now-demolished Community Cash store.

Although the store will not be a Publix or a Bi-lo, it will fill a much needed void on the city's south side and could be the catalyst for more retail development in this area.

Personally, I want to commend the city council for proactively working with developers on this project.

This morning's H-J reports that the city council and local real estate developers have reached an agreement on a financing plan to construct a grocery store on South Church Street at the site of the now-demolished Community Cash store.

Although the store will not be a Publix or a Bi-lo, it will fill a much needed void on the city's south side and could be the catalyst for more retail development in this area.

Personally, I want to commend the city council for proactively working with developers on this project.

I agree. I would like to point out that once again, Councilwoman Linda Dogan is the lone voice against progress in Spartanburg. Her stated reasons for opposing this development are weak, especially when you conisder how long the Southside has been without a grocery store, and how much they need one. Maybe its becuase it doesn't directly benefit her immediate constituancy- I'm not sure- but if any residents on the north side are reading, you should consider her actions next time you vote.

I agree. I would like to point out that once again, Councilwoman Linda Dogan is the lone voice against progress in Spartanburg. Her stated reasons for opposing this development are weak, especially when you conisder how long the Southside has been without a grocery store, and how much they need one. Maybe its becuase it doesn't directly benefit her immediate constituancy- I'm not sure- but if any residents on the north side are reading, you should consider her actions next time you vote.

Linda relishes playing the role as protector of Spartanburg's oppressed. Her zeal has cost her a lot of respect in the community. Her chances of becoming mayor are slim at best 'cause she's alienated virtually everyone.

Overall though, Spartanburg has exceptional elected leadership. The mayor and council are really thinking outside the box on a whole host of issues.

Overall though, Spartanburg has exceptional elected leadership. The mayor and council are really thinking outside the box on a whole host of issues.

I agree. Everyone else seems to be forward thinking. Too bad this type of leadership couldnt have come around 20 years ago. At least its here now though, and we have progress to show for it.

That is great. This area deserves a grocery store. It is foolish to overlook a strong customer base.

If it is not one of those two or not an Ingle's or Food Lion, then you eliminated any grocery store from coming to the south side. It is simply that or nothing.

I heard Sav-a-lot, a Supervalu chain, would be locating there. While it provides some basics, the store is not what city the targeted communities, city council, and real estate developers are looking for.

The end result is an major area supermarket with the necessities (i.e. pharmacy, delicatessen, bakery, meat, etc.).

• 2 weeks later...

There is a good article in the HJ to day about Glendale and the steps that are being made to revitalize that town.

They want to bring some life back into the Methodist Church that closed earlier this year by making it a learning/outdoor sports center. Its kind of a cool concept, and it sounds like it coudl really happen. They say that the Palmetto Conservation Foundation is going to move its offices to the church next spring. They want this to anchor the town's rehabilitation.

I have also heard of some other grand plans for Glendale that tie in with Spartanburg that would really change the face of both places. Nobody else in the State or even the South would have something like this to my knowledge... it will tie in the past to the future of the area. The leaders around town support this too.... I will tell you more as soon as I know more about it.

There are several interesting articles in the HJ today.

One deals with the City's interest in getting out of the sewer business. The City is considering handing over its sewer system to SSSD, which practically maintains it anway. It would be a significant cost savings to the City. The only benefit to owning it is leverage for annexation, but the article says that an agreement can be made to extend the same annexation stipulations to SSSD. That means that the people who have already signed an agreement or would have to in the future based on the current arrangement would still have to.

Another articel deal with the new walking trail on Willis Rd. This is an excellent example of citizens making something happen to better their community. I think the Westview area should have more of this type of amenity. The Westside in general is laking in parks & other recreational options.

Finally, there is an article about some high density housing going in near Landrum. A California developer wants to pur 44 units on a 6 acre tract near the state line. The issue here is that this project could potentially be approved because there is no zoning in Spartanburg County. The folks in Polk County aren't too pleased with it. The one problem on the developer's end is how the sewer system will work. With that type of density you can't operate on a septic tank.

I personally think that this type of density has no place in that part of the County, but its a perfect example of what zoning could prevent! People don't want zoning until something like this happens in their back yard.

A developer wants to put in a new subdivision on the westside... but part of his plan would be to connect Caldwell Dr to Reidville Rd. article.

This is an integral part of greating that grid that I have been talking about... this provdes another thru-connection for the westside. Haveing more options enables people to avoid congestion and relieve it at the same time. This plan isn't official yet, but it will be fantastic if it work out.

Couple of things on the way in this morning:

The new Food Lion on Garner Rd. (old K-mart site) is now open.

Grading and site work continues beside Starbucks contiues, but still no sign.

The renovation of the building on Liberty street between Broad and Main continues nicely. They are putting balconies along Liberty Street for the apartments upstairs. They will overlook Denny's Plaza. One retail site on Main seems to be leased and they're working on the interior. it is boarded up, so you can't see in. They are advertising two other retail locations with one being the other downstairs unit on Main and then one on the other side of the building at the corner of Broad and Liberty.

• 2 weeks later...

This was in an article in today's paper:

"There are at least two multi-million-dollar companies, whose names county leaders are keeping under raps because of continuing negotiations, set to land here in 2007. Britt said their presence will greatly impact Spartanburg County's economic development."

And.....

"Also crucial will be the county's ability to attract higher-paying jobs so that all residents might be able to benefit from a higher standard of living -- something Horton said a better parks and recreation system would feed."

So does that mean we might actually see a plan to make our parks system something worth discussing? I sure hope so.

Here is the link to that article