Greater Spartanburg Projects & Developments

Spartan

I wonder if their are ownership issues dealing with the extension of Liberty. When Renaissance was frist started the Cleveland got all that land for the 9 hole par 3 course.

Thats possible, in fact that may be the exact situation. I hadnt considered that. This would be an appropriate place to use eminent domain, unless they plan to send Liberty down its old path again.

With Cleveland's current trouble's it would seem that the city would hold some leverage with him concerning the property in back of the Marriott. I like the idea of the putting course in the shape of SC, but don't think we need a driving range downtown in that spot. I wish the city could regain control of the certain parcels, build the appropriate infrastructure to make it a great spot for a mixed use development.

Love the idea EMO.

In other news. This was in the hard copy of the HJ yesterday but they didn't put it online. A new retail complex is coming over across from City Range. It is the Westgate Pointe expansion that we have rumored in the past but looks like construction could start by the end of the summer. It will begin with 40,000 sq. ft retail space in two buildings with a town center type complex featuring a courtyard and fountain.

There are already two hotels, conference center, two restaurants and the Spartan 16 movie theater already there, but the master plan shows 5 more retail buildings in addition to the two confirmed plus another hotel.

There are two renderings in the Sunday paper if anyone has access to a scanner. One is of the rendition and the other the master plan.

Fantastic news. I am glad that they havent forgotten this project. I'll see about getting something scanned. I don't always get to read the print version. I am surprised that they did not put the text online like they normally do.

How is this town center complex arranged on the site?

This 1st phase is in the space between the movie and the the conference center but is up on the main road just down and across from City Range. There will still be room for more buildings closer to I-26. It looks like it may take up some of the theater parking but hard to tell.

It looks like Spartanburg is about to at least halfway fill another big box. The HJ is reporting that Sportsman's Warehouse is coming to the old Lowe's on the Westside. It will occupy about 50,000 sq ft of the 125,000 there and will employ around 150.

Click HERE for full article.

Edited by hub-city

I drove through town on a rainy Saturday this weekend and took note of the following:

1. The Johnson Building on East Main Street is nearly complete.

2. The Echostar facility on I-85 is nearing completion. It is very close to the highway and will be an impressive facility.

3. Nothing happening at the corner of Broad and Liberty yet. No signs, no construction.

4. Reidville Road widening and the SPUI at I-26 is finished.

5. The Chapman Cultural Center is coming together. It's a very impressive complex.

6. Starbucks in nearly complete on North Pine.

7. The I-585 / US-176 construction north of Business 85 is nearly finished.

8. Grading taking place at I-85 and US-221 near Business 85. No signs. Anyone have any ideas?

9. Northern Tool is about 25% complete at I-85 and SC-9.

10. Tuffy Muffler under construction on W.O. Ezell and Powell Mill Road.

11. New restaurant under construction in Boiling Springs - Copper Creek on SC-9.

It was too gray and dreary to get good photos.

To add to that, they are working on replacing the overpasses over Asheville Highway and Howard St. I did not see the report on this, but apparantly those bridges were having structural problems.

The Food Lion on Garner Rd has its walls up. It looks as though it will face Garner Rd.

They have also started work on the site infront of the Eastside Walmart.

I am glad that they filled half of the old Lowes. I hope they can fill the other half of it soon, as well as the other half of the old Westside Walmart.

To add to that, they are working on replacing the overpasses over Asheville Highway and Howard St. I did not see the report on this, but apparantly those bridges were having structural problems.

The Food Lion on Garner Rd has its walls up. It looks as though it will face Garner Rd.

They have also started work on the site infront of the Eastside Walmart.

I am glad that they filled half of the old Lowes. I hope they can fill the other half of it soon, as well as the other half of the old Westside Walmart.

I REALLY wish for them to soon fill up that old Home Depot and Michael's. They should just tear down the old Best Buy and create a restaurant row (ala Pelham Road) or something there.

I was able to read part of that article about Westgate Pointe, and I was able to see a rendering of this new complex. Its not really a town center in the sense of what it would normally be. It does look to be a pedestrian oriented shopping center though. Basicly its two buildings that form mirrored "L" shapes. I assume that these buildings will have several stores in each of them. The article says that they are talking with Marble Slab, a coffee shop, and some other clothiers.

It will be built in the vacant land between the new theater and the Hampton Inn, fronting Spartan Blvd.

Here is the link to that article. Please remember to include links in the future!

I was able to read part of that article about Westgate Pointe, and I was able to see a rendering of this new complex. Its not really a town center in the sense of what it would normally be. It does look to be a pedestrian oriented shopping center though. Basicly its two buildings that form mirrored "L" shapes. I assume that these buildings will have several stores in each of them. The article says that they are talking with Marble Slab, a coffee shop, and some other clothiers.

It will be built in the vacant land between the new theater and the Hampton Inn, fronting Spartan Blvd.

Here is the link to that article. Please remember to include links in the future!

Probably Starbucks or Panera Bread will be the coffee shop.

Last week I was on a story and I talked to a few people from the city and they said that the SCDOT has approved the East Main Street project that would beautify the street by narrowing it and adding medians. They said work should start sometime this fall on the new streetscape. East Main is really shaping up to be a beautiful street!

That's awesome news about main Street. i hope they go ahead and do the same with Converse street.

Also, I was just on Kennedy Street and the new Spartanburg County Foundation building is really coming along. That is turning into a great street.

The Spartanburg County Foundation building does look good. They are also modifhying another building further down Kennedy St near the old Evans Office Supply place. Anyone know what is going on there?

i work on kennedy st. and have talked with someone from the city about a new streetscape for kennedy. this area could become like a little village in downtown with the smaller buildings and old homes. i suggested they make wider, brick sidewalks and add room for greenery. we'll see what happens.

as far as that building i think it is going to be an upscale jewelry store.

i work on kennedy st. and have talked with someone from the city about a new streetscape for kennedy. this area could become like a little village in downtown with the smaller buildings and old homes. i suggested they make wider, brick sidewalks and add room for greenery. we'll see what happens.

as far as that building i think it is going to be an upscale jewelry store.

Have you heard anything about the future of the closed Hardees on Kennedy? This was, of course, the first Hardees in Spartanburg. With so much happening on the street I wonder what's to come of this building.

Have you heard anything about the future of the closed Hardees on Kennedy? This was, of course, the first Hardees in Spartanburg. With so much happening on the street I wonder what's to come of this building.

It was also the first Hardee's franchise in the nation!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that the old Best Buy is going to be turned into a Peak Fitness Club. It will occupy at 50,000 sq ft and will be open 24hrs.

This is great news for the Westside in general. Now there is only half of the old Lowe's, half of the old Walmart, and old Pier 1 to fill, and all of our empty boxes will be full in that area. The old Home Depot is next...

here is the article