Greater Spartanburg Projects & Developments

Spartan

Hello everyone! Newbie poster here to join the discussions. I must admit that I have followed this forum for well over a year and have been amazed by the amount of accurate info that gets posted here. I work for a local architectural firm, and several of the projects I have worked on have been part of the discussions. Just thought I would stop watching from the sidelines and jump into the game. Most of the local projects I work on must be kept under wraps until the developers are ready to go public, but I look forward to sharing when I can! Hopefully I won't spill the beans on too many projects coming down the pipe... :whistling:

Hello everyone! Newbie poster here to join the discussions. I must admit that I have followed this forum for well over a year and have been amazed by the amount of accurate info that gets posted here. I work for a local architectural firm, and several of the projects I have worked on have been part of the discussions. Just thought I would stop watching from the sidelines and jump into the game. Most of the local projects I work on must be kept under wraps until the developers are ready to go public, but I look forward to sharing when I can! Hopefully I won't spill the beans on too many projects coming down the pipe... :whistling:

Welcome aboard Caddman8! There's so much exciting stuff going on in Spartanburg and its great to share it all.

Aanother welcome caddman!!!

We have a different thread concerning the master plan and urban code. Are you familiar with the plan and if so, I would welcome any insights or observations from a design point of view. We've had several post concerning hieght issues etc... and I'm curious how the plan is being received by the architectual community.

Academy Sports opens today on Peachwood Drive on the west side. I think this one is in the former Lowe's. At least this sprawl is making use of existing sprawl, rather than creating new sprawl.

And Academy has done a nice job with the old Lowe's building. It really doesn't seem that a Lowe's was ever there!

It would be nice to see all of these boxes in some kind of mixed use urban center. But in thinking about that, I have to wonder how we could ever pull that off in Spartanburg.

Think about this hypothetical situation:

Assume we could get a group of urban style mixed use developments that are expansive enough to contain a majority of the big boxes around town. (Think Mt Pleasant Town Center x Birkdale Village)

1) Where could they go?

2) Big box relocations to these developments present a secondary problem- what do we do with all the current big boxes that would be vacated?

It would be nice to see all of these boxes in some kind of mixed use urban center. But in thinking about that, I have to wonder how we could ever pull that off in Spartanburg.

Think about this hypothetical situation:

Assume we could get a group of urban style mixed use developments that are expansive enough to contain a majority of the big boxes around town. (Think Mt Pleasant Town Center x Birkdale Village)

1) Where could they go?

2) Big box relocations to these developments present a secondary problem- what do we do with all the current big boxes that would be vacated?

Spartan, you're always thinking out of the [big] box.

I really think that Boiling Springs and maybe towards the I-85 & US-29 interchange would be logical spots for a mixed-use urban center.

My first thought was Boiling Springs or perhaps the North Spartanburg area, since there is still a fair amount of open land there. I would think that proximity to 85 & 26 would be vital.

I'd really like to see something happen with the old Southern Shops rail yard. Its a huge amount of open space between the old and new 85 on Asheville Hwy. Its not proximate to anything high end, thats for sure, but something there would easily act as a catalyst to change that part of town for the better. The problem is that its within a half mile of some of the biggest crime spots in town.

I'm curious, too. I bought my HDTV from the one in Greenville last spring for an excellent price.

Nothing. I was thinking it would be more like a Best Buy and Circuit City but was surprised that they really focused mostly on appliances and TVs which I only tend to buy every 7-10 years. Which means, I won't be shopping there much, that's all. Plus I love my Vizio...for a 32" LCD at $599...there is really no comparison!

Couple things I haven't seen mentioned......

- I've noticed trucks at the old Home Depot on W.O. Ezell. Looks like the prelim work is being down for the transformation into Burlington Coat Factory.

- The KFC has been torn down on W.O. Ezell across from Jasons Deli. Replacing it will be......KFC. The old building was somewhat run down and dated. Not sure if the new place will be a combo (ie KFC/Long John Silvers), but the look should be very modern.

- The Family Video on W.O. Ezell where Pizza Inn used to be is coming along. It looks like a good amount of money is being put into the structure, as it's a pretty large brick building. I've got to admit, I still don't understand why someone would sink that kind of money into a brick and mortar video rental business, as it's a dying format. Blockbuster has been taking serious losses, and I've pretty sure video and game rentals will be solely digital downloads within 10 years.

- The structure going up opposite Target will contain a Blimpie Sub Shop.

- Looks like the exterior work is almost finished on the new strip center next to IHOP. Very nice stone structure on the Pizza Inn portion of the building. Hate to see the Symposium Cafe just sitting there vacant next door, but at least the owners are keeping the landscaping up.

- Work continues on the strip centers on Blackstock across from Lowes/Best Buy. That road should look radically different in a year's time. The Firehouse Subs location continues to be packed every time I drive by, and that should continue during the shopping season.

- Lot of projects going on over on Reidville Road. The Bella Coffee location across from Outback looks to be 1 or 2 months from completion. The old Movie Gallery at the intersection of Camelot and Reidville has been torn down, and I've noticed that a large portion of the adjacent Reidville frontage property has been purchased. It's about the perfect size for some type of strip center, but I sure wish they'd do something with the shopping center across the street first. That property is too valuable to just sit there. I also wish they'd bulldoze and start over with the Circuit City/former Pier One location at the intersection of Blackstock/W.O. Ezell. Would love to see something like Whole Foods there.

Sorry to ramble. Hope this was informative to some.

Thanks for the update :)

I would imagine the the KFC will become a tacky combo restaurant like KFC.Taco Bell or Pizza Hut or some combination. Its all basically the same anyway :)

Whole Foods would be nice, but I wonder if it would even fit in that location? It seems to me that it used to be a Winn-Dixie, but that was a loooong time ago and grocery stores are much larger now than they used to be. I would think that they would be better suited for a spot somewhere else (not sure where though).

Do you know what's going up at the old Putt-Putt site? I noticed it had been torn down sometime in the past few months.

I would expect the Starbucks to build on its own site so it can have a stand-alone building. That row of shops on Blackstock has been mentioned here on UP before, but I don't think it mentioned what would go in there.

Yeah, and that makes sense, but I was kind of thinking of the Starbucks on Woodruff Rd in Greenville. In fact, all of these new strip centers remind me of Woodruff Rd a great deal.....although much smaller.