Greater Spartanburg Projects & Developments

Spartan

but with hub-bub there things could change quickly, esp. if the city remodels the sidewalks there and add better lighting, along with the further renaissance of HH. there is a lot on the corner of East Henry and Daniel Morgan that has also sold, but i don't have any idea what may be coming there.

i heard the guy that bought City View also bought some of the land right around it and is trying to buy some of the property on that little street where the dance studio is (is that still Kennedy St.?) and improve it. They are painting the City View apartments and they look great.

We are seeing a ton of positive movement on Spring Street. Montessori is renovating a home on the corner of S. Spring/Brookwood that they are going to make into a junior high...the house next door to them--which in HH we refer to as the "poster child" house has been bought and is in the works to be renovated, a potentially gorgeous brick duplex on the corner of Carlisle/S. Spring is undergoing renovations and lots of stuff going on at Carlisle Street.

The Hub-bub project and the Preservation Trust are working hard on bringing this area UP--the Hub-Bub project really not intentionally but they're here...and it's making a huge, positive difference!

I'm very thankful to both of them.

:-) t

but with hub-bub there things could change quickly, esp. if the city remodels the sidewalks there and add better lighting, along with the further renaissance of HH. there is a lot on the corner of East Henry and Daniel Morgan that has also sold, but i don't have any idea what may be coming there.

Like what? There isn't much there to start with.... Maaco, that random brick building on the hill... what else?

You have a good point though.

i heard the guy that bought City View also bought some of the land right around it and is trying to buy some of the property on that little street where the dance studio is (is that still Kennedy St.?) and improve it. They are painting the City View apartments and they look great.

We are seeing a ton of positive movement on Spring Street. Montessori is renovating a home on the corner of S. Spring/Brookwood that they are going to make into a junior high...the house next door to them--which in HH we refer to as the "poster child" house has been bought and is in the works to be renovated, a potentially gorgeous brick duplex on the corner of Carlisle/S. Spring is undergoing renovations and lots of stuff going on at Carlisle Street.

The Hub-bub project and the Preservation Trust are working hard on bringing this area UP--the Hub-Bub project really not intentionally but they're here...and it's making a huge, positive difference!

I'm very thankful to both of them.

:-) t

That road is called Harris Place, its the natural extension to Kennedy, but its one way. At one point it was not connected to Kennedy and Kennedy stopped at Church St.

What do you think will happen to the end of Carlisle at Daniel Morgan (with the barricade)?

Are people starting to catch on to HH? I was under the impression that it has not been going as fast as they wanted at one point. It sounds like that is changing for the better now :)

• 2 weeks later...

And don't forget Hub-Bub. That is set to become a very unique and attractive place. Hopefully the rest of the street or even block will be effected in a major way by that project. I really like the size they have and there is plenty of vacant space to expand. :shades:

I think that the Hub-Bub artist in residences have opened up the gallery. Not sure. haven't been by.

• 2 weeks later...

I find it astonishing that no one has posted about the new "Renaissance Streetscpe" plan, which includes extending Liberty Street and straightening Converse Street to give Barnet Park more space. Also mentioned was the future 400+ space parking garage, and the priming of a piece of land for a corporate office building. This area around the Chapman Cultural Center will eventually become a hot spot for street activity. :shades:

Just got back from a great vacation. Trying to catch up a little. As far as Johnson Development is concerned, I think that Chapman Foster would be a good start as far as e-mail is concerned.

The Renaissance Park streetscape sounds promising, but I haven't seen any drawings. You can find the article HERE

Of course, if you are a reader of UP you probably already knew about all of these things ;)

This was a great article though, in that it has confirmed this information that has been floating around here. I am interested to know how they will give Barnet park more space. I am somewhat confused about that...

They were also not clear as to whether Liberty would be extended on its current path or if it would follow its former route.

St John is supposed to become the corporate corridor of Spartanburg... large office buildings and what not. I hope that something starts soon.

Article

Of course, if you are a reader of UP you probably already knew about all of these things ;)

This was a great article though, in that it has confirmed this information that has been floating around here. I am interested to know how they will give Barnet park more space. I am somewhat confused about that...

They were also not clear as to whether Liberty would be extended on its current path or if it would follow its former route.

St John is supposed to become the corporate corridor of Spartanburg... large office buildings and what not. I hope that something starts soon.

Article

If you can pick up a hard copy of the paper, you'll see a rendering of the road changes. It is actually on the front page. Liberty will be extended straight across St. John and shortly beyond the CCC. Converse will be straightened, and Silver Hill will be briefly extended, creating a long wedge of flat space at the top of Barnet Park. ;)

Edited by Skyliner

If you can pick up a hard copy of the paper, you'll see a rendering of the road changes. It is actually on the front page. Liberty will be extended straight across St. John and shortly beyond the CCC. Converse will be straightened, and Silver Hill will be briefly extended, creating a long wedge of flat space at the top of Barnet Park. ;)

Ah! Excellent. I will read the print version when I get back to Spartanburg today. I hope that they plan to extend Liberty all the way to Daniel Morgan eventually. I think that there should be a full restoration of the grid system in that area, if not an expansionof it. I still don't understand how they will "straighten" Converse because the road bed connecting to Daniel Morgan is already straight. Having said that, if they extend Silver Hill to meet Converse, it would not give any additional space to the park. I guess the image in the paper will clear that up for me.

If someone has access to a scanner and could post the image that would be great. If not I will try to get it scanned later on today, hopefully.

Ah! Excellent. I will read the print version when I get back to Spartanburg today. I hope that they plan to extend Liberty all the way to Daniel Morgan eventually. I think that there should be a full restoration of the grid system in that area, if not an expansionof it. I still don't understand how they will "straighten" Converse because the road bed connecting to Daniel Morgan is already straight. Having said that, if they extend Silver Hill to meet Converse, it would not give any additional space to the park. I guess the image in the paper will clear that up for me.

If someone has access to a scanner and could post the image that would be great. If not I will try to get it scanned later on today, hopefully.

Converse will be pivoted toward the CCC from the St John intersectection. The wide end of the new "wedge" will be at the end closest to Daniel Morgan. Basically, these two new roads will be more perpendicular to Daniel Morgan.

Converse will be pivoted toward the CCC from the St John intersectection. The wide end of the new "wedge" will be at the end closest to Daniel Morgan. Basically, these two new roads will be more perpendicular to Daniel Morgan.

Oh ok. That makes sense now that I thnk about it. That will add a little more room for the park. Its all startin to come together. :thumbsup:

I think extending Liberty to Daniel Morgan will open up more land for development downtown and will give the park more exposure, as it is somewhat off the beaten path for a downtown location. When I last went to Spartanburg on my shooting spree, I wanted to take some pictures of the park and thought I would find it just meandering around downtown, but I guess I didn't go far enough down St. John. Hopefully the Chapman Cultural Center will help with that too. Extending Liberty and restoring a grid in that area will also help the Marriott become more integrated with the rest of downtown.

Spartanburg really needs wayfinding signs to prevent problems like yours from happening. The good news is that there are funds allocated for them. The bad news is that they won't come until July 2007 at the earliest.

St John does not look like it is anything more than a through street (which it is). Once it is fixed up a little, people might be more willing to go down there and see whats going on. The CCC and Barnet Park comnined will really help to remedy that

I hope to see more come to that big parcel of land

Lol join the club! We've been sayin that for the past 15 years or so in Spartanburg. That is the "Renaissance Park" area that has been vacant for the longest time. Almost as long as I can remember. It used to be a mostly vacant slum. It is a huge eyesore still, but very few cities have the luxury of such a large tract of undeveloped land downtown. I trust that City officials will do something great with this land.

You have the extent of my knowledge on this subject 8-)

Here is that image. I am dissapointed that they aren't going ahead with the reconnection to Daniel Morgan Ave. I assume that will happen at some point. Perhaps KSUcat will chime in :) That person seems to be in the know.