Greater Spartanburg Projects & Developments

Spartan

Great news! :yahoo: I wonder if this is the large building next to the I-85 bypass, near I-26? That would make the most sense, but I am not positive about the name of the business park. This will certainly be a shot in the arm for Spartanburg's economy, and I imagine it will inevitably strengthen the Upstate and even the state economy as well. Dish Network provides the best service, IMO. :shades:

I actually prefer DirectTV :) But Dishnet is a great company, and its not going anywhere :)

The site is just north of the old 85 off of N Blackstock Rd. If you look at it on the Yahoo Maps link I posted in the EchoStar thread, you can see the site.

It's also north of the new 85. There is not an exit ramp there so I really don't know the route that you would take to get there except from business 85 and then go over the new 85.

PS - Hadn't seen post from you in the last week or so Spartan. Good to have you back. I was getting worried.

Edited by hub-city

Don't be too worried about Spartan. He'll be back with us full time before too long, I assure you. :thumbsup: In the meantime, please keep posting your thoughts and other info on UrbanPlanet.org and he'll have lots to reply to.

I know exactly where this building is, since it is impossible to miss while driving on the I-85 bypass, just west of the I-26 interchange.

It's also north of the new 85. There is not an exit ramp there so I really don't know the route that you would take to get there except from business 85 and then go over the new 85.

Actually, you would go under the new 85 if you got off on business 85 and not over it.

Headed south on new 85, you can get off at exit 69 and make a right just after you get off the exit ramp. That one is a narrow, winding road, though.

Best thing is to exit I-85 to I-26E to business 85S and then off at the first exit

Don't be too worried about Spartan. He'll be back with us full time before too long, I assure you. :thumbsup: In the meantime, please keep posting your thoughts and other info on UrbanPlanet.org and he'll have lots to reply to.

I know exactly where this building is, since it is impossible to miss while driving on the I-85 bypass, just west of the I-26 interchange.

I'm definately back now :)

I think that development is in Boiling Springs.

Heres some information from the Register of Deeds for a plat. It looks like it is still in the planning stages, as there is no actual deeds.

Instrument PLT-1999-19041

The following information has not been verified

Book/Page:

145/728

Date Recorded:

9/3/1999

Legal Description:

29.60 A OLD FURNACE ROAD ET AL CHEROKEE SPRINGS

Owner

CHEROKEE SPRINGS -SUBDIVISION , SMITH & LOWE DEVELOPMENT

HARVEST MOON LANE -CHEROKEE SPRINGS , HARVEST MOON LANE -CHEROKEE SPRINGS , OLD FURNACE ROAD -CHEROKEE SPRINGS , OLD FURNACE ROAD -CHEROKEE SPRINGS

According to GSABusiness Journal, a new shopping center will be going into the Peach Valley Golf Course on 221, near I-85.

Asheville-based Ingles Markets Inc. has submitted plans to the Spartanburg County planning department to develop about 43 acres of the 171-acre site on U.S. Highway 221 about one mile from Interstate 85.

Read more at: http://www.gsabusiness.com/

One of the stores is going to be 80,000 square feet. I wonder what it will be?

Hello, that would be Ingles. :blink:

Ingles plans to build an 80,000-square-foot store on one parcel. Plans show nine other parcels slated for commercial development ranging in size from 0.98 acres to 2.95 acres.

We can't fault you there. I'm all up in the 'canes cup run myself and can't think straight.

CO CANES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In other news, it looks like Chief's Wings and Firewater is coming in a couple of weeks to the old Billy D's location on John White Blvd. on the westside.

Edited by hub-city

One mile from 85 on 221 is more or less in Cherokee Springs... perhaps this is in anticipation of the large Cherokee Springs project?

I would bet that they close the other ingles that Ingles that is alwarady there, adjacent to 85, and accross from another old Ingles.

I've not head about this restaurant before... is it a chain, and if so is it any good?

I think this is great news. As someone who grew up in that area (though not in Converse itself) I think it wil be a great asset to the community, and perhaps bring some life back to it. The older people that they spoke to in writing that article don't want it to change, which I find concerning. They need a little bit of youth back in that community. I think that it will end up being retirement village of some sort.

The A Deva Day Spa on Morgan Square is closing, accordin to this article.

Thats the bad news. The good news is that someone is already lined up to buy it. They will keep a spa on teh first floor and turn the rest of it into additional apartments.

On a separate note, I thought that this was a good Opinion piece:http://www.goupstate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060623/NEWS/606230303/1022

I found some interesting info on some downtown apartments on another forum:

The old City View apartments at Henry & Spring is being remodelled remodeled into the Atelier (French for "artists lofts.") They want to attract young people and artists to live there. The plans call for a new lobby built on the back that will make the entrance on Kennedy Street.

Hopefully they will make the apartments seem less shady. I don't know that I would be confortable living there at this point in time.

The Spring & Henry intersection is maybe two "blocks" away from downtown... but in spartanburg the blocks are very irregular... So maybe a quarter of a mile. It is in the area that City Manager Mark Scott identified as the next area of focus for the city. It is on the southern end of the CBD area going towards Hampton Heights. Its not really in the best area right now... at least aesthetically. They might be good apartments, I really don't know. But my impression fromthe outside is that they aren't. Either way, they are fairly isolated from the active parts of downtown at the moment.