Greater Spartanburg Projects & Developments

Spartan

I'm excited about the Starbuck's for the simple fact that they will be replacing an eyesore with a nice new building and parking. I like the location because, while it will get the drive-by traffic, I don't think it will hurt the new local coffee shops within walking in the CBD. This along with the construction across the street, will really help revitalize that entrance into the city.

there's another article in the hj today about the city targeting eyesore neighborhoods. some of the neighborhoods mentioned are south church and south converse streets. tenants and property owners will have to pass inspections or else they will face fines or even jail time.

Jail time seems extreme to me, but I am glad that the city is trying to get the bad apples in the neighborhoods to clean up their property to enhance the appearance of the city.

I agree. This is important for the City to do. Once people realize that the city will enforce it rules, the city's physical appearance will improve. The most visible parts of Spartanburg (city) are fairly attractive, but the neighborhoods, particularly NW and SE of downtown can be rather unattractive. It varies from place to place of course.

Not a huge development, but with all the bad publicity that Renaissance Park has gotten, I thought some good news would be nice.

The Marriott has won the 2005 Eastern Regional sales award for it's strong sales performance. This region runs from SC all the way up to Maine, putting it against cities such as Washington, New York, Philly etc.... It is great to see that the performance of the hotel is strong and a lot of that has to do with local support.

Check out the ARTICLE

Not a huge development, but with all the bad publicity that Renaissance Park has gotten, I thought some good news would be nice.

The Marriott has won the 2005 Eastern Regional sales award for it's strong sales performance. This region runs from SC all the way up to Maine, putting it against cities such as Washington, New York, Philly etc.... It is great to see that the performance of the hotel is strong and a lot of that has to do with local support.

Check out the ARTICLE

The Marriott was booked up this past weekend...never thought it would be possible for Sparkle....but I'm glad nonetheless...

I wouldn't be surprised to see Windsor-Aughtry put up a Hampton downtown. The Hampton in the Vista in the Columbia and the one being built in RiverPlace in Greenville are really nice.

That would be awsome. A good place might be the lot that was created at Spring St (including the HJ parking lot) when they took out the Broad St connector (from Main to Broad). The hotel would be on Morgan Square, and it would have to be fairly tall since that is a rather small lot.

• 3 weeks later...

I spent most of the day Saturday driving around Spartanburg and thought I would pass along the following observations:

1. Downtown was quite busy, especially the restaurants.

2. The new Lime Leaf Thai restaurant is a nice new addition to the city.

3. The Marriott's parking lot was full. The hotel appears to be doing well.

4. The new CVS is well underway at Pine and Garner. Along with the Starbucks this area is

poised for a resurgence.

5. Construction has not begun on the new Olive Garden but Friendship Church is gone.

6. The new SPUI at I-26 and John B. White, Sr. Blvd. is almost complete.

7. The new Johnson Building on East Main has been topped out.

8. Construction of the Chapman Cultural Center is well underway.

9. Construction is well underway at the new Food Lion on US-221 in Roebuck.

• 2 weeks later...

looks like a Food Lion will go on the former Kmart site on Garner Rd. That is good news since that area needs a grocery store in a bad way.

http://www.goupstate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../604190379/1026

That is really IRONIC...didn't a Food Lion USED to be on that site at one time? That is great news! However the area does have Bi-Lo on Whitney Road.

I think there used to be a grcery store (maybe a Winn-Dixie?) where Mr Gatti's is today. It seems like that was always a Kmart. I could be wrong though...

Thats true. I always forget about the BiLo.

Yes, there was indeed a Winn-Dixie in the now-Mr. Gatti's, but if I'm correct weren't the Kmart and Winn-Dixie shopping centers two separate strip malls? I heard that Food Lion was in one of the smaller stores next to the Kmart. Also, does anyone remember when Community Cash was just up the road (along with Rose's and Bowling USA) in the Pinewood Shopping Center? Community Cash used to rule Spartanburg. I also remember having bigger Piggly Wiggly's (Reidville Road, Whitney Road). Then there was the A&P next to the westside Kmart (which the A&P later became Big Lots; then all of that was torn down to rebuild Kmart as the Super Kmart Center around 1994 or 1995).

• 2 weeks later...

there's a new store on Morgan Square called Z Place. I went in yesterday and had a good time. it's just a couple of doors down from Abby's and they have a really cool interior. they sell a lot of different things, kind of like a unique gift shop, but i think it's mostly marketed towards women, if not all. But, there is a really cool tea bar in the back of the shop. Finally i can get bubble tea here in town! my girlfriend and i really love the stuff. anyway, everyone should go and check it out sometime.

i also drove past the new arts center and they have started to put up the structure for the main building. this is going to be an awesome addition to downtown. i can't wait to see the finished structure. hopefully this will spur a lot more development and redevelopment on St. John. maybe some more activity in renaissance park?