Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

Sure, our transportation plan is a work in progress. But at least we're not Seattle: http://grist.org/cities/seattles-unbelievable-transportation-megaproject-fustercluck/

Wow that is bad. I will say, friends from Cleveland and Columbus that come visit me here are really impressed with our transportation here. It is GARBAGE in both of those cities and I tell them what is in the works and what is planned and they are more impressed. Then my sister who lives in Denver comes here and brags :whistling:

Sure, our transportation plan is a work in progress. But at least we're not Seattle: http://grist.org/cities/seattles-unbelievable-transportation-megaproject-fustercluck/

I like this quote from this article:

"Cities work best when designed for the people who live in them, not the people trying to get through them as quickly as possible."

• Like 3

The "Moment Mile" exhibit at the Mint is pretty cool: http://www.mintmuseum.org/art/projects/the-light-factory-s-moment-mile

It is free and open to the public, so go see it if you want.  Yeah, Google Street View does it "better", but this is artsy and fun.

"

On 1 November, 138 photographers gathered in uptown Charlotte. At 6:15 p.m., the photographers stood in predetermined spots on the mile-long stretch of Tryon Street and simultaneously clicked their shutters. Then, exactly five minutes later at 6:20 p.m., they did so once again on the opposite side of the street. Stitched together, the two resulting prints – each 100 feet long and 11inches tall – capture a single moment of a stretch of Charlotte’s urban core and acts as a historical marker of the city circa 2014.

"

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Couldn't really figure out a good spot to put this, but it sounds like Mercedes-Benz to Atlanta is a done deal: http://www.northjersey.com/news/business/sources-say-montvale-based-mercedes-headed-to-atlanta-1.1186431

I think most of us agreed that NC was never a serious candidate, just Atlanta or staying in NJ (and that's no offense to anyone). I know speculation is rampant about what BMW will do now, with them being the best candidate of the luxury automakers to relo here giving the existing non-stop flights to Germany on Lufthansa and proximity to their plant in Greenville. Some commentators on that article already pointed out BMW would be the next to leave. Will be interesting to see what happens now... Perhaps NJ really ups the ante to keep them since they can't afford more black eyes. 

Couldn't really figure out a good spot to put this, but it sounds like Mercedes-Benz to Atlanta is a done deal: http://www.northjersey.com/news/business/sources-say-montvale-based-mercedes-headed-to-atlanta-1.1186431

I think most of us agreed that NC was never a serious candidate, just Atlanta or staying in NJ (and that's no offense to anyone). I know speculation is rampant about what BMW will do now, with them being the best candidate of the luxury automakers to relo here giving the existing non-stop flights to Germany on Lufthansa and proximity to their plant in Greenville. Some commentators on that article already pointed out BMW would be the next to leave. Will be interesting to see what happens now... Perhaps NJ really ups the ante to keep them since they can't afford more black eyes. 

I think we all figured this would be the outcome.  Shame it couldn't work out differently.  But I HOPE, this was the states practice run at BMW coming to CLT.

Totally off topic from Charlotte, Cleveland actually (should make Jayvee happy).  But there's a big project going on there called nuCLEus, which I didn't think someone could find a hokier name than the Epicentre but they succeeded.  Either way the renderings were released last night and they're no joke.  This is on a 3 acre piece of land, gives me hope for the Observer site.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2015/01/first_look_nucleus_project_ren.html#incart_m-rpt-1

20150108-v07-from-huronjpg-0a5bcf07c6c5a

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 1

Totally off topic from Charlotte, Cleveland actually (should make Jayvee happy).  But there's a big project going on there called nuCLEus, which I didn't think someone could find a hokier name than the Epicentre but they succeeded.  Either way the renderings were released last night and they're no joke.  This is on a 3 acre piece of land, gives me hope for the Observer site.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2015/01/first_look_nucleus_project_ren.html#incart_m-rpt-1

20150108-v07-from-huronjpg-0a5bcf07c6c5a

Way too much Lebron love in the pictures though... He probably won't even be playing there by the time its finished. Real Estate is so cheap in Cleveland, maybe i'll buy two of the condos though... LOL

Edited by Guest

Yeah my dad's company been working on this for some time. I am a huge fan of the design and Cleveland is REALLY making a resurgance. Cleveland has absolutely been killing it lately, and the out door social area with this project looks epic. I feel like Cleveland is killing Charlotte when it comes to walkable social areas. East bank, west 6th, this, east 4th....

Edited by Jayvee

Yeah my dad's company been working on this for some time. I am a huge fan of the design and Cleveland is REALLY making a resurgance. Cleveland has absolutely been killing it lately, and the out door social area with this project looks epic. I feel like Cleveland is killing Charlotte when it comes to walkable social areas. East bank, west 6th, this, east 4th....

Actually just got back from CLE. So many great old retail districts to walk around (Coventry, Little Italy, etc.). I definitely don't think "Mistake by the Lake" is accurate anymore...

• Like 1

I'm in Denver right now, a couple observations:

1. Apartment/building boom. Wow. And I thought we had a lot of construction in CLT! It seems like every block has a high quality apartment/condo under construction.

2. The homeless. If you ever thought Charlotte has an aggressive or overpopulated homeless, just visit Denver. They must have the most homeless per capita of any city I've visited. Never thought I'd say that after being in Vancouver.

3. Street level retail/vibrancy. We aren't even close. Denver is easily a good 20 years ahead of in regards to retail and restaurants/bars. I had assumed it was closer. Not the case. After walking around for just 15 minutes, my sister turned to my wife and said "I feel like Charlotte is the most boring city in the united states", which saddened me. I made a point to note Denver's larger metro and substantially larger downtown population, but I think it fell on deaf ears.

Denver is an excellent model we should try to follow. It's really a shame we can't have something similar to LoDo, I just don't think Charlotte has or had the old bones to build something similar. As a cyclist, I'm also super jealous of how flat it is here.

Edited by ah59396
  • Like 1

I'm in Denver right now, a couple observations:

1. Apartment/building boom. Wow. And I thought we had a lot of construction in CLT! It seems like every block has a high quality apartment/condo under construction.

2. The homeless. If you ever thought Charlotte has an aggressive or overpopulated homeless, just visit Denver. They must have the most homeless per capita of any city I've visited. Never thought I'd say that after being in Vancouver.

3. Street level retail/vibrancy. We aren't even close. Denver is easily a good 20 years ahead of in regards to retail and restaurants/bars. I had assumed it was closer. Not the case. After walking around for just 15 minutes, my sister turned to my wife and said "I feel like Charlotte is the most boring city in the united states", which saddened me. I made a point to note Denver's larger metro and substantially larger downtown population, but I think it fell on deaf ears.

Denver is an excellent model we should try to follow. It's really a shame we can't have something similar to LoDo, I just don't think Charlotte has or had the old bones to build something similar. As a cyclist, I'm also super jealous of how flat it is here.

The street level retail and vibrancy difference shouldn't be news to anyone, as much as we wish it was different (it's improving from where it was, but long way to go)... Nor should the homeless issue. Not sure if you've spent time in downtown San Francisco before but that's the worst I've seen with homeless people. I spent 6 months working there, walking from my hotel in Union Square to the financial district 4-5 days a week. I could probably count on one hand the number of times I wasn't witness to someone dropping a number 2 or begging for something. I wasn't aware that Denver was that bad like you said. 

Most "it" cities are HORRIBLE with homeless (S.F., Denver, Austin, Seattle), and as much as I complain about it here, it's nothing in comparison to those. I have to say, Charlotte is a bit boring, it's getting better but I mean, we need WAY WAY more bars uptown to even be close. And jesus, can they get rid of the covers??? This is not Miami.

Most "it" cities are HORRIBLE with homeless (S.F., Denver, Austin, Seattle), and as much as I complain about it here, it's nothing in comparison to those. I have to say, Charlotte is a bit boring, it's getting better but I mean, we need WAY WAY more bars uptown to even be close. And jesus, can they get rid of the covers??? This is not Miami.

I believe that it is state law that bars have to charge a cover unless you are a member, not sure about that though. I know bars have to offer memberships though, unless laws changed.

I believe that it is state law that bars have to charge a cover unless you are a member, not sure about that though. I know bars have to offer memberships though, unless laws changed.

I am actually not sure about that I know there's something like that on the books but for example, 5church doesnt charge cover, but Dandelion Market, Blackfinn, Connelly's etc all do. It's an absolute jip for those places to charge $5, but yes its Econ 101, people pay it so why stop charging it. HOWEVER, I firmly believe the covers are due to a lack of variety, there's really not that many places to go as opposed to say, downtown Cleveland, so they can get away with it. You'd never find a cover at a regular bar downtown Cleveland because there are so many to go; "oh this place has a cover screw that, lets go next door"

I am actually not sure about that I know there's something like that on the books but for example, 5church doesnt charge cover, but Dandelion Market, Blackfinn, Connelly's etc all do. It's an absolute jip for those places to charge $5, but yes its Econ 101, people pay it so why stop charging it. HOWEVER, I firmly believe the covers are due to a lack of variety, there's really not that many places to go as opposed to say, downtown Cleveland, so they can get away with it. You'd never find a cover at a regular bar downtown Cleveland because there are so many to go; "oh this place has a cover screw that, lets go next door"

I've been to Dandelion Market probably 15 times over the years since it opened, mostly on Fridays and Saturdays, and have never encountered a cover there. Anyway, I find that the covers here in Charlotte are only the bars that put on their "club face" on weekends, and among clubs that would be common in most any city. 

I've been to Dandelion Market probably 15 times over the years since it opened, mostly on Fridays and Saturdays, and have never encountered a cover there. Anyway, I find that the covers here in Charlotte are only the bars that put on their "club face" on weekends, and among clubs that would be common in most any city. 

They charge covers after 10 I believe (guys only). Clubs I agree, Bubble and Suite should charge covers. RiRa (although I don't think they do anymore), Connellys, Dandelion, Blackfinn, Fitzgeralds (I don't think they do anymore either), should absolutely not be charging covers.

I imagine the lack of any creativity, shopping, grittiness is just the lack of the creative and working middle class in the center city area. Not enough diversity of incomes probably. How can artist, young professionals, etc. just starting out afford to live in center city?

I'd be the most urban young professional, walk, bike, greenways, public transportation only, shopping local, etc. but I'm outcast to places like Mallard Creek Church Road or Statesville Rd. in Lake Norman or Mount Holly Rd. area in Charlotte just to have a safe, affordable starter home...

I actually live in Huntersville. Love the urbanish-sorta-kinda shopping centers here. The parks, greenways and lake are a big plus also.

If Uptown could just get some retail. Even big boxes. I'd be 100X happier

Super off topic, but I've been wondering for a while why there aren't any "geofilters" on Snapchat for Charlotte (other than the one at the airport). I know most city-specific filters are created by the community, but it's been weird that a city this size hasn't had a single artistically-inclined resident put something together... I mean, New York has about 50 of them, but couldn't we at least have 1?

If any of you are feeling particularly creative anytime soon, here is more info on how to submit something:

https://support.snapchat.com/a/user-submitted-geofilters

The street level retail and vibrancy difference shouldn't be news to anyone, as much as we wish it was different (it's improving from where it was, but long way to go)... Nor should the homeless issue. Not sure if you've spent time in downtown San Francisco before but that's the worst I've seen with homeless people. I spent 6 months working there, walking from my hotel in Union Square to the financial district 4-5 days a week. I could probably count on one hand the number of times I wasn't witness to someone dropping a number 2 or begging for something. I wasn't aware that Denver was that bad like you said. 

SF by far has most homeless of any city I've visited in the states. 

Denver is truly booming in so many ways but just look at how far Charlotte has come in the past 20 years. Who could have imagined the difference. 

It is happening in Charlotte and the fun is watching it happen. 

The condos/apartments will get built, more will be announced, and then comes the retail. IT WILL HAPPEN!!

in 2035 Charlotte will not even be recognizable to today. And I'll have fun watching you guys cover it every step of the way.

Big thanks to all of you who keep us lurkers in the know.....!!

• Like 1