Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

You may say bye to soccer, but there are many of us (and we are growing...rapidly) that continue to watch, both World Cup and club soccer (both European and good old home grown American).  The keeper for the Colorado Rapids was on local radio the other day and talked about the "fifa generation", the 18-35 year olds, that are driving this trend.  I fall in that group and I can attest, we aren't going anywhere and we are only gaining more fans.  Pretending like soccer is "going away" in this country and gloating about it is on par with thinking baseball is making a comeback.

I know I know, it's just so easy to give soccer fans a hard time  :whistling:  the world cup has actually been pretty exciting, and I actually don't think it'll be too long until soccer overtakes Hockey, or even the NBA (the NBA is just the worst)

Edited by Jayvee

I know I know, it's just so easy to give soccer fans a hard time  :whistling:  the world cup has actually been pretty exciting, and I actually don't think it'll be too long until soccer overtakes Hockey, or even the NBA (the NBA is just the worst)

Stick to Charlotte development topics and not insulting sports that other people are fans of...

Stick to Charlotte development topics and not insulting sports that other people are fans of...

Yeesh, alright alright, all in good fun. I am not a particular hater of soccer, I have never minded it and would welcome a team here. Queen City FC

Also.....to bring numbers to the streaming ratings (TV ratings will probably be out later today), MASSIVE numbers from ESPN streaming (30 million)

http://money.cnn.com/2014/07/01/media/world-cup-streaming-record/

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

Darren Rovell cited a poll on twitter saying that 17% of World Cup viewers in the US say they'll have more interest in the MLS after the World Cup.  We'll see if that holds true but if it does, that's a huge shot in the arm for a league that is already growing at a reasonable rate.

Edit:  Guess it wasn't a formal poll but one he just hosted himself.  Still, crazy if that holds true.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

^He does those polls all the time... not sure how much of a realistic sampling it is. Mostly because half his followers just insult him, like many Twitter trolls do. MLS, still has a long way to go to be in the same conversation as the big 4 sports in the US, at least from a TV ratings perspective: http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/06/no-record-breaking-world-cup-ratings-dont-make-soccer-a-mainstream-us-sport/373216/. The hard core fans are the ones going to the games. The casual fans still aren't watching it on TV in large numbers like they do for the NFL and to a lesser degree NBA, MLB and NHL. I think a real game changer for soccer in the US, would be a home grown star, in the fashion of LeBron James, Peyton Manning, etc. Someone that's marketable not just in the game but outside of it. The problem is that even if that guy comes along, he'll likely go to the EPL and not MLS. America is still is a generation away from that trend reversing. 

^He does those polls all the time... not sure how much of a realistic sampling it is. Mostly because half his followers just insult him, like many Twitter trolls do. MLS, still has a long way to go to be in the same conversation as the big 4 sports in the US, at least from a TV ratings perspective: http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/06/no-record-breaking-world-cup-ratings-dont-make-soccer-a-mainstream-us-sport/373216/. The hard core fans are the ones going to the games. The casual fans still aren't watching it on TV in large numbers like they do for the NFL and to a lesser degree NBA, MLB and NHL. I think a real game changer for soccer in the US, would be a home grown star, in the fashion of LeBron James, Peyton Manning, etc. Someone that's marketable not just in the game but outside of it. The problem is that even if that guy comes along, he'll likely go to the EPL and not MLS. America is still is a generation away from that trend reversing. 

One thing I did look at is attendance. Attendance within the MLS is pretty impressive that is for sure, but one article I was reading suggests one major issue Soccer has (from a business perspective in the US) is the lack of commercials. While as a viewer, it is FANTASTIC, it lends a challenge to the lead to get businesses on board. The KC and Seattle games look AMAZING though, and new soccer stadiums are so cool looking.

I think a real game changer for soccer in the US, would be a home grown star, in the fashion of LeBron James, Peyton Manning, etc. Someone that's marketable not just in the game but outside of it.

I occasionally wonder what could have been if Freddy Adu had panned out as many analysts had stated, "America's Pele".  It was all hype over a 14 year old prodigy who had seemingly endless potential, power, and skill.

But as you said, until the players have more marketability and franchises are more popular, the MLS salary cap will stay low and top talent will stay away. It would certainly help if more games could find there way to cable.  It is still a fun league to watch.  Late goals and impressive shots are pretty common.

Edited by MilZ

I enjoy the MLS, but the quality level compared to European club football is fairly obvious, even for a laymen.  I think it's going to be difficult to draw American fans that are new to the game, solely to MLS, unless they have a team in their city.  There aren't a ton of big names outside of waning European superstars looking for a payday and someone watching the quality of say, a Brazil or Belgium during the World Cup and then watching Houston play KC will probably wonder if the same sport is being played.  

I think a major problem for soccer (in the U.S.?) is that there isn't just one league for the top players in the world (NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL), and the best players don't play in the U.S. league.  (Even if you say EPL, for instance, is the top league, there are still top players elsewhere, and the EPL isn't in the U.S.).

Also, it's hard to take soccer seriously when the WNT games aren't even on TV (many are only available through ussoccer.com).  And I swear some of the MNT games over the last couple years were only on beIN channel, which isn't a standard channel on major systems (such as direcTV). 

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting before/after photo spread of Detroit that is not just the usual glory to decay but some cases of renewal.   I was impressed particularly with Orchestra Hall and Book Cadillac Hotel.  Gives me some hope for the Carolina Theatre. 

http://www.freep.com/article/20140722/NEWS01/140721003/THEN-NOW-Watch-Detroit-change-before-your-very-eyes

• Like 1

I would be skeptical of any residential that tall being built anywhere in most US cities.

That would be a lot of apartments.

What's dissapointing is the rinky dink hotels that have been proposed uptown. It seems natural that a hotel tower would be a home run in our city... And I think the tallest hotel proposed is 17 floors at the Green parking deck.

Crescents stonewall street doesn't seem like it will be large. Embassy Suites, nothing large. Epicenter, again small. BBT baseball hotel will probably be small, the other two hotel towers behind Trademark & beside Carillon were small. 300 South Tryon hotel section will be s all.

Give me a 30 story hotel dang it.

One last off topic thought; I am pessimistic about Crescent Tryon Place. Seems like they're a little late to the party

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

I see the guys on the Nashville forum talking about the possibility of this beauty going up there. If it does get built, I'd be a little envious. 

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2014/6/19/giarratanas_505_cst_to_be_residential_tower

That is gorgeous, but I'm also curious/skeptical for that building  as all residential. At least in Nashville.  It's height is proposed as 750 ft which is almost the height of our own Duke tower. 

I just don't see that in Nashville.   That said if they do it - good for them!   

Edited by Urbanity

I see the guys on the Nashville forum talking about the possibility of this beauty going up there. If it does get built, I'd be a little envious. 

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2014/6/19/giarratanas_505_cst_to_be_residential_tower

Tony Giarratana might be the equivalent to Levine here. He has had so many proposed towers and they all look great, but never seem to get started. 

That is gorgeous, but I'm also curious/skeptical for that building  as all residential. At least in Nashville.  It's height is proposed as 750 ft which is almost the height of our own Duke tower. 

I just don't see that in Nashville.   That said if they do it - good for them!   

Yea, I don't know enough about the Nashville market to say whether it's viable for sure, but just based on demographics and size of the city I would be skeptical too. If it was Vegas, Miami or even Atlanta, less so. Still a beautiful building. Even if they scaled it back some it would look awesome. 

Tony Giarratana might be the equivalent to Levine here. He has had so many proposed towers and they all look great, but never seem to get started. 

This is incorrect. Giarrantana has had a few major setbacks like Signature Tower and, most recently, a Marriott project that fell through. However, he also has the 33-story SoBro about to start in addition to his work on the Encore, the Viridian, the Cumberland and a handful of other smaller projects that have had a strong impact in Nashville. The guy dreams big, but he also has a solid track record for actually getting things done. 

Also, I do think the current proposal for 505CST as all residential is much more viable than any incarnation of 505CST. It's honestly not that many units considering how hot the Nashville market is currently.  

Tony has done quite a few projects:

The Cumberland 23 stories

The Viridian 31 stories

The Encore 20 stories

The Sobro just getting underway 33 stories

The Belle Meade Harris Teeter and Residential/Office Project

Park 25 8 stories

The Dallas at Elliston 6 stories

22nd and State just underway

The Bennie Dillion Rehabilitation

Tony has done or been part of quite a few projects since 1998. That is quite a portfolio.

While Charlotte does have some amazing towers, I cannot state enough that Nashville is not a skyscraper city and never will be. We are now known for music, art, craft beer, cuisine, film, healthcare companies, insurance, banking, printing (although a dying industry), education, professional sports,  and many other things that don't require skyscrapers.

Tourists don't come here for the ATT Tower, they come for everything else. In the grand scheme of things, the only people that really care about skyscrapers, are nerds like us!

I want to visit Charlotte at some point. Urbanity, thanks for your comment. Queen City folks are always welcome!

Yea, I don't know enough about the Nashville market to say whether it's viable for sure, but just based on demographics and size of the city I would be skeptical too. If it was Vegas, Miami or even Atlanta, less so. Still a beautiful building. Even if they scaled it back some it would look awesome. 

What demographics are you referring to? Regarding size are you referring to population or the current number of skyscrapers? Nashville and Austin are nearly identical in size. Las Vegas is actually smaller in city population and slightly larger in metro population, so I don't understand what you mean here.

Las Vegas isn't a great comparison to Nashville. It's a huge tourist destination. I'd even say International tourist destination but I'm not 100% on that so I'm not going to say that.

Miami also is a huge tourist destination that rock and rolls on hotel and residential towers and I believe has a residential taller than 505. It too an anomaly being an international tourist beach destination.

Atlanta's tallest is like 150 feet shorter than 505 and is much much offer than Nashville.

Austin I guess is a fair comparison.

(and I know Nashville has a very large tourism industry also but I'm not sure it's I te same level as Vegas & Miami)

The fact is, even adding in the U/C residential only buildings, there are about 12, 700+ footers in the United States.  8 of those are built or u/c in New York.  3 in Chicago and the other u/c in Miami.  Nashville is an awesome city, but it makes absolute sense why Urbanity would question the likelihood that the next 700+ foot residential only building would pop up in a metro with 1.67 million people.  Even with Nashville's great reputation for tourism.  It's not a slight against Nashville.  I'd immediately doubt the same proposal in Charlotte.  I hope it gets built, but it just doesn't seem realistic.  We can certainly dream though!

• Like 1