Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

There was a "Luxury Apartment Community" Proposed over there. It was dreadful and suburban, so I was just hoping it had gone away.

You don't mean the one at Morehead & Millerton (which did get built)? The construction happening right now is directly on Wilkinson next to the train tracks, right before it splits into onramps for 277/77. I can't imagine apartments there, or much of anything really other than the current manufacturing/warehouse uses near there.

You don't mean the one at Morehead & Millerton (which did get built)? The construction happening right now is directly on Wilkinson next to the train tracks, right before it splits into onramps for 277/77. I can't imagine apartments there, or much of anything really other than the current manufacturing/warehouse uses near there.

hmmmm. I dunno then. Let me do some digging.

Question for anyone that is in the know...  What is being built across from the "old" Charlotte Law School on Wilkinson Blvd?  I used to see the signs for "City View" or something like that.  But can't see anything tangible as to exactly what they are doing other than seeing drainage pipes lined up waiting to be installed.

If you mean right across Wilkinson, then it's a gun shop and shooting range. 

• 2 weeks later...

Soooo, haven't posted anything in years, but caught this out of the corner of my eye when my wife was watching one of her soaps.  I rewound, snapped a pic, and here ya go.  My apologies in advance if this has already been posted, but hopefully most of you don't have soap operas playing in your house ...   :whistling:

GenoaCity.jpg

• Like 3

When I first saw this on TV, the Marshall Park fountain and concrete arch bridge is what jumped out, otherwise I might have missed it. After studying the image, I noticed that the CMGC looks pretty much like it does in the real world other than the signage photoshopped in. Skye also stands out, although it is partially obscured by a building added that doesn't exist. The most interesting change is that the top of the One Wells Fargo jukebox is chopped off. I guess when you're showing a shot of a fictional city on a TV show (The Young and the Restless) you want to alter the actual city used?

^ that's pretty common for construction sets, especially where north doesn't really align well with a specific side of the building. For 300 S Tryon, if you said "the north side" of the building, what side are you referring to? It could be the Church St side or 3rd St since true north is the corner of the site. They've "assigned" north to the 3rd Street side so everyone knows what they mean when they say "north elevation," "north side of the plan," etc. 

there are a lot of reviews online about these guys from sub contractors that did work for them but never got paid.

I've also seen reviews from people that paid but their projects haven't been finished.

Surprised me because I remember seeing and hearing their commercials on tv and the radio all the time growing up.

Edited by Niner National

there are a lot of reviews online about these guys from sub contractors that did work for them but never got paid.

I've also seen reviews from people that paid but their projects haven't been finished.

Surprised me because I remember seeing and hearing their commercials on tv and the radio all the time growing up.

Oof we were family friends with them and their daughters in the 90s and early 2000s. Sucks to see he has a warrant out :-(.

• 2 weeks later...

So I saw this mentioned in a letter to the editor on the O's website: BILL DRAFT 2013-TQz-22.  After reading it and also reading various articles regarding it, it would seem that our humble public servants are about to remove the ability of local municipalities from enforcing any tree ordinances on private land.

The obvious winners would be the developers who will be allowed to clear-cut with impunity.  So much for our 50% tree canopy goal.

Last year was full of horrible ideas, looks like this years short session will be more of the same.

(Forgive me if this has already been mentioned on UP)

• Like 1

Anyone know what's going on with the blank parcel of "state owned property" off Smith street between 8th and 9th streets? Google maps lists it as "9th street park" which it definitely is NOT.  I assume this has something to do with the eventual Lynx Red Line, but if not, why on earth isn't it being developed? At this point, it would serve better as a parking lot than just an empty block of weedy, busted concrete.

Anyone know what's going on with the blank parcel of "state owned property" off Smith street between 8th and 9th streets? Google maps lists it as "9th street park" which it definitely is NOT.  I assume this has something to do with the eventual Lynx Red Line, but if not, why on earth isn't it being developed? At this point, it would serve better as a parking lot than just an empty block of weedy, busted concrete.

I think this is part of the Gateway station project....so nothing is going on with it. I'm no insider like some of the people here, but I doubt we'll see any movement with those parcels for a while.