Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

Does Pepsi have a "Pepsi Experience" like coke does in Atlanta?

And if not, would Charlotte be the most logical place to build one??

I don't think they do and I think Charlotte would be an ideal choice. I am all for Charlotte pursuing unique attractions, but there are a few things we could pursue that we've seen work in other cities. This would be one of those things. Pepsi would get the exposure and Charlotte would get the attraction. Another easy thing to pursue would be a Cafe du Monde type downtown restaurant/coffee shop selling Krispy Creams. I'll take a hot glazed over a beignet any day and it would add a 24 hour destination to downtown (just a thought).

I don't think they do and I think Charlotte would be an ideal choice. I am all for Charlotte pursuing unique attractions, but there are a few things we could pursue that we've seen work in other cities. This would be one of those things. Pepsi would get the exposure and Charlotte would get the attraction. Another easy thing to pursue would be a Cafe du Monde type downtown restaurant/coffee shop selling Krispy Creams. I'll take a hot glazed over a beignet any day and it would add a 24 hour destination to downtown (just a thought).

Didn't Pepsi abandon the Carolinas for their HQ, though? It was "born in the Carolinas" but it didn't stay here. Just wonder if this would be the place that they'd put any sort of museum instead of their HQ. I know this is far-flung anyway, though.

The Coca Cola Experience in ATL is awesome, though. Great attraction. Would love to see something similar here, but I don't drink Pepsi. Diet Coke is my poison, and Diet Pepsi just doesn't satisfy me. I wouldn't have any desire to visit a Pepsi museum aside from the fact that it might be in my hometown.

According to Save Charlotte Music's facebook page, there is a meeting at the Government Center at 6pm on Thursday the 24th to discuss the attempt to AGAIN restrict live music. The proposal on the table would prohibit live music after midnight at any establishment within 400 ft of a residence.

I know there is some kind of exemption for uptown, but if the definition of "residence" includes apartments/condos, I believe this would affect most of our best music venues and particularly bars that like to have small shows. I believe this will be defeated again, but it is concerning that such a IMO laughable law keeps getting pushed.

Edited by nonillogical

I know it is coming about because of complaints, but it is implied that all other venues meeting the criteria will be affected whether they've been an issue or not.

It is not a big secret that the complaints in question are all coming from Elizabeth and aimed at Philosopher's Stone. I used to go to shows there regularly, and you could absolutely not hear the music from across the parking lot, much less 400ft away, so I really think it is neighbors unhappy with seeing the crowd on those nights, not hearing the music. 

Can someone tell me what building the one one the left is supposed to be?   It's obviously in Charlotte as the VUE is in the background, and the smaller building I think is Discovery Place with Parking deck (it also looks like the Avenue reflected in it)- but is this something proposed that someone can identify the project?

It's on Crescent's site under commercial and retail

http://www.crescent-resources.com/our-expertise/commercial-and-retail/

OE_ComRet.jpg

Edited by Urbanity

Can someone tell me what building the one one the left is supposed to be?   It's obviously in Charlotte as the VUE is in the background, and the smaller building I think is Discovery Place with Parking deck (it also looks like the Avenue reflected in it)- but is this something proposed that someone can identify the project?

It's on Crescent's site under commercial and retail

http://www.crescent-resources.com/our-expertise/commercial-and-retail/

OE_ComRet.jpg

Thats not Charlotte, Thats Buckhead. See Building here, definitely not the Vue. 

http://binged.it/VMFHVT 

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't know Four First Union was planned at 84 floors, wow.  http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?cityID=536&statusID=6 shows 21 mid-rise and greater.  Guessing this is probably true of any city.  One reason I am more an advocate of ~10 stories, more likely to be built and more human-scale (if such a concept is possible with a large building).

Emporus has a nice db of 56, going back pretty far.  In 1967 Tryon Towers at 174m would have cost under $26million, and been the Southeast's tallest.  We we're always dreaming big.

Edited by nowensone

This has probably been covered and/or is common knowledge, but what is the old-school sign on 7th street behind Villa Francesca?  Sorry, I made a couple attempts at googling this, but came up empty.

http://goo.gl/maps/bPVn0

Wasn't that The Chicken King (or some such) sign.  Might have even been a remote location for Prices.

Didn't know Four First Union was planned at 84 floors, wow.  http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?cityID=536&statusID=6 shows 21 mid-rise and greater.  Guessing this is probably true of any city.  One reason I am more an advocate of ~10 stories, more likely to be built and more human-scale (if such a concept is possible with a large building).

Emporus has a nice db of 56, going back pretty far.  In 1967 Tryon Towers at 174m would have cost under $26million, and been the Southeast's tallest.  We we're always dreaming big.

Yep. This is what it was suppose to look like. Back then there wasn't enough balance in Charlotte's skyline for a tower that tall which is why it looks a little out of place. However, with all the additional towers that have been built since then, it would look great today!

100057153.jpg

100057154.jpg

I superimposed the tower in a more recent photo

char2.jpg

Edited by cityboi

I remember being crushed when it was cancelled. Then, I later saw the design ... and felt better about its not getting built.

Here is the original design for the 84-story First Union Tower. What do you think about this one?

100057147.jpg

BTW I superimposed this version of Four First Union as well. Sorry if its not a great photoshop job. i just quickly did it in a few minutes LOL. But the tower looks great! WOW! Now I like the first design better.

charalt2.jpg

Edited by cityboi