Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

Yeah I'm a bit of a hippie in a lot of ways, at least whenever it comes to animals, and still thought it sounded silly at first.

But after reading its actually a pretty reasonable request, and its not like it would be a city law, they just want to encourage individual building owners to observe the migration periods by turning off the lights early.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe someone can help me with this...

Has the accented lighting on top of the Hearst Building always been red? Or is that a new thing? I just noticed it about a week ago and then thought "there is no way that has always been like that". Or maybe I'm wrong. :shok:

I think it's for breast cancer

I worked an Clerical Assistant type job on east blvd for a couple years, and everyday I would run errands to the bank and the post office on foot, and I have had quite a few insights into the mind of chilly willy.

Here is the story of Larry Majors, aka chilly willy/ crazy larry.

Crazy Larry is from Charlotte, not sure what he did for a living, but he was a member of the motorcycle gang known as the outlaws. Actually, If you look at his wrists and arms he has outlaws tattood on his body in multiple places, and also numerous jail house tats, including swastikas and etc. He's really not that bad of a guy, believe it or not. He was arrested in the 1970s or 80s for shooting a police officer and served time for murder but was later released due to the shootings circumstances. It was finally proven that the police officer was in the process of raping Larrys sister when he was shot. Larry was released from jail, with a tarnished record and a grim viewpoint on life, as one can imagine Shooting a police officer doesn't help you get a job, so he was not able to make ends meet and became homeless. He actually enjoys his life, but regrets what has happened to him. In the late to mid 90s his, "wife" was struck by a drunk driver while pregnant with his child, and he sort of had a melt down from there. His brother is david majors I think, he is a plumber in charlotte, and helps larry when he can, but larry makes a good amount of money panhandling. His family doesn't really try too hard to take him in, but I know people who have taken him in to bath, or given him a ride. He is a living legend however, and everyone knows him.

It's being reported that Larry Majors - Chilly Willy - was struck and killed by a car near 7th and Caswell/Pecan :(

So, Dalton VS. McCrory. I'm interested in what you guys think the Pro's for Charlotte are for each man. To be honest, I haven't kept up with the race much unlike the presidential election I've been following closely. I want to go with Dalton because I know the Democrats are generally more progressive here but... McCrory is our former mayor... I lean Left and plan on Voting for O, but I can't help but feel I'd be making a mistake not voting for McCrory.

The big thing I see that jumps out from a quick google is McCrory is charged with wanting to shift Transportation money from Rural NC to Urban NC. I say Amen to that...

^Amen to more urban policies. That is, after all, where NC is growing.

But I do worry if the same McCrory keeps his stances held as Mayor, once he becomes Governor. If so, he should mostly* be good for NC. But will Pat be willing to challenge his own party? For example, would Pat support Raleigh-Durham's fight to become the next NC metro with rail transit?

*Personally, I can't vote for Pat, given he doesn't even recognize my civil rights, but I couldn't vote for Dalton either, given his lack of fresh ideas, so I decided to protest-vote for the Libertarian.

Yeah. It's a tough pill to swallow to vote for a party that rejects your civil rights, but I have hope the supreme court will decide upon it. I just wanna do what's best for Charlotte because I know my mayor and Charlotte cares for my civil rights.

I just wonder how he'd govern. I would crap a brick if Obama won and Pat rejected federal dollars like florida or some state did and we got the money.

I just think he'd use connections to bring jobs to Charlotte, prioritize Charlotte projects. His political career is Charlotte... Maybe Charlotte needs some more Charlotte in Raleigh.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

If it wasn't for LGBT rights I would vote McCrory, but I just can't respect his candidacy ever since as Mayor he refused to welcome HRC's annual gala to Charlotte. That was more than bad form that was bad economics as the HRC went to Raliegh for two years.

To me that says his personal prejudices are more important than what's best for the city, or in case of Governor, state.

Yeah. It's a tough pill to swallow to vote for a party that rejects your civil rights, but I have hope the supreme court will decide upon it. I just wanna do what's best for Charlotte because I know my mayor and Charlotte cares for my civil rights.

I just wonder how he'd govern. I would crap a brick if Obama won and Pat rejected federal dollars like florida or some state did and we got the money.

I just think he'd use connections to bring jobs to Charlotte, prioritize Charlotte projects. His political career is Charlotte... Maybe Charlotte needs some more Charlotte in Raleigh.

Im voting for Dalton and Obama but after this election I won't be part of either party. Not sure if going Libertarian or joining the Green Party.

Anywho, as far as McCrory goes I totally agree that this is mostly about Charlotte for him. He does love this city and he had an awful time getting raleigh to pay us attention when he was Mayor. Especially when it came to Transportation. it wouldn't surprise me if he goes on to the senate...or dare I say, a run for the President..

Here's an off topic. Imagine if we had a 75 story skyscraper in the middle of construction during a hurricane... Wait - you don't have to imagine - it's going on in NYC and the crane is collapsing!

At 57th and 7th Avenue no less! If I'm correct the building it is opposite is the Carnegie Hall Tower, meaning that the crane if it collapses could fall into Carnegie Hall!

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1194527

post-24262-0-06319500-1351538737_thumb.j

post-24262-0-38953700-1351539137_thumb.j

post-24262-0-28352000-1351540490_thumb.j

Edited by Urbanity

Anyone here familiar w/ living in Wilmington?

Considering a new job down there, but wanted to see if anyone had insight into living there? Been there countless times on vacation, but never lived there.

Looking at some of the downtown neighborhoods (Carolina Place, Forest Hills, Ardmore, etc) as they seem similar to were we are now.

(I would have tried this on the Wilmington UP board, but that place is dead...and CityData seems just seems like alot of bomb throwers)

Anyone here familiar w/ living in Wilmington?

Considering a new job down there, but wanted to see if anyone had insight into living there? Been there countless times on vacation, but never lived there.

Looking at some of the downtown neighborhoods (Carolina Place, Forest Hills, Ardmore, etc) as they seem similar to were we are now.

(I would have tried this on the Wilmington UP board, but that place is dead...and CityData seems just seems like alot of bomb throwers)

If I had to pick anywhere else to live, it'd be Wilmington. I love the Mayfaire area.

I would be so thrilled if we could get Rail service from Charlotte to Wilmington (or any beach...). One of my favorite places. Wrightsville Beach is amazing.

Traffic in Wilmington is awful, particularly in summer. I would pick a neighborhood that minimizes your need to drive on Market, College or Military Cutoff at all costs. If school district is a concern stay away from the neighborhood that is across Market street from Forrest Hills (but otherwise it is nice for an early 70s hood). Greenfield Lake and Sunset Hills appear to be on the upswing. If I could afford it I would be in the historic district.

Edited by kermit

Thanks for the replies.

My office would be on Market, so sounds like being closer would be better.

Any thoughts on the neighborhood listed above?

And is being near/right on Wrightsville Ave a concern? I know it's a one way through there...but couldn't guage how much traffic it handles.

A friend of mine lives on the town side of Wrightsville ave, he bikes to work downtown everyday. He really loves the neighborhood. I have never noticed any traffic problems on it (other than the beach end of the street).

Forest Hills is the Myers Park of Wilmington. I don't have any experience with the other neighborhoods on the list (at least by name).

Watching Fox News and they had 3 boxes showing different polling places in different cities with the names of the cities in the bottom hand. Those cities were;

Miami, Columbus OH, and Charlotte.

:alc: Columbus got the state taf and we didn't. That's flattering. It's not like Columbus is some podunk.

• Like 1