Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

http://wfae.org/post/millions-worms-eat-compost-charlotte-airports-trash

This may be better placed in the Charlotte Airport thread, but since that is all about construction/expansion, I thought it would fit just as well here.  Hopefully this program turns into a huge success and our airport is able to start a trend.  

Has anyone else noticed the "digital subscription" that now applies to the Charlotte Observer? It looks like it prevents you from adding/viewing comments if you're not a subscriber. Can't say I'm overly upset since you can't see the mostly asinine comments that appear on there. Guess as long as you can still read the articles that's ok with me. Though, wonder how much longer that will be "free".

^ I think he means if half the people avoid paying to subscribe, and half the people no longer reading it since the observer won't be free (advertising dollars) how long will the Observer survive or continue the policy

Amen to this!  

I honestly wouldn't mind paying for an online digital subscription to the Observer if their price point was more realistic.  By realistic - I mean for the world around them.  They are trying to survive and justify their prices based on the internet availability of their product but are ignoring that the internet has made their product less relevant than ever.

I listen to WFAE, watch News14, and read a host of local sites and blogs so I get my local news and was only looking on their site a couple a times a month to begin with.  

Charlotte got a small reference on the Walking Dead video game. It was listed as one of the places to avoid in the southeast, because of the outbreak (along with Atlanta and Charleston). Would be pretty cool if the series ever expanded out of Atlanta, and made it's way into Charlotte (Eastland Mall would make a perfect setting for a Walking Dead episode).

• Like 1

I thought there was a general foodie thread but couldn't find it. I've been casually looking for a little while now with no luck, but does anyone know if there is a decent Filipino restaurant or bakery anywhere near Charlotte? I've had two people tell me that they thought there was one near Rock Hill. Thanks guys.

Looks like Raleigh is a little paranoid about a Charlottean being in office saying a room filled with Charlotteans laughing at prods to his "new city" and that we think we're the Center of our states universe if not the eastern seaboard. <br />

<br />

<br />

I think it's a flattering article, personally.<br />

<br />

<a href='http://projects.newsobserver.com/node/26646'>http://projects.newsobserver.com/node/26646</a>

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

Anyone have recomendations near Uptown for an iPhone repair? Need to replace a shattered screen.

And what's the ballpark on price?

Just noticed yesterday that "Smartphone MD" is in the old smoothie space across from the old Sbarro space next to Salsarita's.  No idea if they do iPhones or can help you, but they're there.