New Greenville developments

gs3

Actually, this is a PERFECT location for Michelin on Main. Consider the Falls Park draw, and RiverPlace is already a major magnet along the Reedy River, with art studios and awesome dining. This is the right place to put an icon you want people from everywhere to see. Consider this a possible attraction in and of itself as well, helping people see other attractions they didn't know about before.

This is nice and all, BUT all it will do is drive more people down to the West End and less up towards the Hyatt. Why didn't they move into one of the many store fronts for sale along Main St. towards Beattie Place/College Street? It's also not a tower like I was hoping for. Still sounds awesome though.

Because they want to make money and go where people are, instead of making them go where they aren't?

Why would a 2,000+ sq. foot business/ store/ meeting space create a demand for a 'tower'?

Because they want to make money and go where people are, instead of making them go where they aren't?

Why would a 2,000+ sq. foot business/ store/ meeting space create a demand for a 'tower'?

It wouldn't. I should of been more clear. I was hoping the big announcement was for a new tower downtown. I was hoping Michelin was expanding their headquarters or something, but I was wrong. This sounds nice though.

It wouldn't. I should of been more clear. I was hoping the big announcement was for a new tower downtown. I was hoping Michelin was expanding their headquarters or something, but I was wrong. This sounds nice though.

You probably don't understand the potential impact this place will have on downtown Greenville. It could end up leaving a greater impression on visitors than any tower will. :shades:

You probably don't understand the potential impact this place will have on downtown Greenville. It could end up leaving a greater impression on visitors than any tower will. :shades:

Maybe it will turn out to be one of those stores every city wants like BPS, Apple, or Cheesecake Factory. Hmmm...interesting, very interesting. :shades:

<_<Maybe it will turn out to be one of those stores every city wants like BPS, Apple, or Cheesecake Factory. Hmmm...interesting, very interesting. :shades:

According to the article, it is a place only two cities in the World have - only Greenville's will include much more. In other words, this will be a one-of-a-kind place, which any city would obviously desire to have. I don't expect this to become a prototype for other locations though. Greenville is the home of Michelin North America's headquarters.

According to the article, it is a place only two cities in the World have - only Greenville's will include much more. In other words, this will be a one-of-a-kind place, which any city would obviously desire to have. I don't expect this to become a prototype for other locations though. Greenville is the home of Michelin North America's headquarters.

I don't think it would expand to other cities, but it will definitely be one of those stores every city would like to have like I said in my last post.

This is more exciting than the first guesses made it seem. It will be a nice draw. Now we need a Greenville store in conjunction with this.

Will the first building of Riverplace be full on the retail floors now?

Yes, unless there is an extra store front on Camperdown i'm not aware of.

Excellent! This is a great example of taking advantage of what we have. Now if BMW and a few others would do the same thing....

It would be cool to have a few of these DT, kind of an international HQ retail circuit. :shades:

BMW is in Spartanburg County and their address is Spartanburg (by choice), not Greenville (or Greer, as it would be by location). They also have a store on site, as well as a museum and the Zentrum Center. I just don't see them wanting to follow Michelin to downtown Greenville.

http://www.bmwzentrum.com/

Edited by crescentmoon

You've got to love the Michelin Man wving to visitors on Main Street and Falls Park. Very nice touch! :shades:

I'm not sure where the Grape was going, but this is on the corner, to the left

of Starbucks.

That was originally going to be the location of The Grape. Fortunately for us, it didn't happen afterall. Who would have guessed it? ^_^

BMW is in Spartanburg County and their address is Spartanburg (by choice), not Greenville (or Greer, as it would be by location). They also have a store on site, as well as a museum and the Zetrum Center. I just don't see them wanting to follow Michelin to downtown Greenville.

http://www.bmwzentrum.com/

I certainly wouldn't be upset if they did come downtown. I see Greenville's downtown as the major cultural and international hub in the Upstate. I hope to eventually see that international village I have wished for these past several years.

I wouldn't be upset either. I just think it's improbable. Besides the fact that corporate considers Spartanburg as their HQ, BMW likes to be the first to do something, not the second and is unlikely to "copy" Michelin.

What is interesting is that Greenville would most likely be the city Z3 owners around the nation associate the factory with. Since the plant is located in Spartanburg County, it is understandable that corporate executives might consider that their home. I don't think there is any indication that any city other than possibly Greer has reason to claim to the factory though. It splits the distance evenly between Greenville and Spartanburg. My reason for suggesting BMW could have a similar consumer-related presence in downtown Greenville is more based on the company image already here, not simply the manufacturing plant in a neighboring county. Lest we forget, the city of Greenville is home to a BMW research facility, and has the potential for much more to be added in the future. And with downtown being one of the strongest business and tourist destinations in the state, it would definitely be a success.