New Greenville developments

gs3

• 2 weeks later...

So what is this building going up on the old Astro site?

New 30,000 SQ. FT. Greenville Tech building to house the Information Technology, Planning and Grants and Logistics departments as well as central mail distribution operations. Freeman & Major Architects designed it to meet LEED Silver Certification standards. It will be the first new building in the Greenville Tech system to do so.

• 4 weeks later...

ClearTalk Wireless has purchased the property at 570 W. Washington St., across North Hudson Street from the downtown Post Office and next door to Webb Settles Mortuary. This used to be the logstics and maintenance facility that USPS vacated last year.

ClearTalk plans to redevelop the property into a retail center with back-room support, customer care and administration. The site would include a communication antenna system disguised as an 85-foot flagpole topped by an American Flag. (I wonder whether the company will follow established standards of respect* concerning display of the flag and, if necessary, lighting.)

Here is a link to the Zoning Board application: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2011/AUGUST/BoardofZoningAppeals/08-19-2010/S-11-166-570WestWashingtonStreet.pdf

* Ordinarily the flag should be displayed only between sunrise and sunset. If displayed at night, it should be illuminated properly. While many places fly the flag at night as a patriotic gesture by custom, Presidential proclamations and laws passed by Congress have specifically authorized the display of the flag 24 hours a day at the following locations:

Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine, Baltimore, Maryland (Presidential Proclamation No.2795, July 2, 1948).

Flag House Square, Albemarle and Pratt Streets, Baltimore Maryland (Public Law 83-319, approved March 26, 1954).

United States Marine Corps Memorial (Iwo Jima), Arlington, Virginia (Presidential Proclamation No.3418, June 12, 1961).

On the Green of the Town of Lexington, Massachusetts (Public Law 89-335, approved November 8, 1965).

The White House, Washington, DC. (Presidential Proclamation No.4000, September 4.1970).

Washington Monument, Washington, DC., (Presidential Proclamation No.4064, July 6,1971, effective July 4, 1971). Fifty Flags of the United States are displayed at the Washington Monument continuously.

United States Customs Ports of Entry that are open continuously (Presidential Proclamation No.4131, May 5, 1972).

Grounds of the National Memorial Arch in Valley Forge State Park, Valley Forge, Pennsylvania (Public Law 94-53, approved July 4, 1975).

• 2 months later...

The Journal is reporting 5 new apartment complexes will be built downtown in 2012. Three will be in the West End and two in the City Center (though, it calls it "downtown"). ...let the speculation begin!

The only one for sure that I think we know of is this one in the West End:

-Green Monster reconstruction. 5 stories, first floor retail. Corner of South Main and River Streets.

Any other insight or rumors?

The Journal is reporting 5 new apartment complexes will be built downtown in 2012. Three will be in the West End and two in the City Center (though, it calls it "downtown"). ...let the speculation begin! The only one for sure that I think we know of is this one in the West End: -Green Monster reconstruction. 5 stories, first floor retail. Corner of South Main and River Streets. Any other insight or rumors?

I'd say that along with Bookends phase II, land between Kroc Center and Academy Street bridge, Peacock site, and old Greenville Memorial Auditorium site. Rumors are swirling that apartment complex highrise structures are in the works for the Peacock and auditorium sites.

I'd say that along with Bookends phase II, land between Kroc Center and Academy Street bridge, Peacock site, and old Greenville Memorial Auditorium site. Rumors are swirling that apartment complex highrise structures are in the works for the Peacock and auditorium sites.

These sound excellent to me! Especially development for the Peacock and Memorial Auditorium sites. :)

I forgot about Bookends II. I wonder if simply being under construction in 2012 is all it means, or if they will start construction in 2012? Technically, Bookends II should be starting any day now... I'd love for it to mean five additional projects on top of that.

Just some pondering here: we will see almost 50 units at Riverwalk as it wraps up construction near the end of this year. 5 more apartment projects could add an additional 200+ units, perhaps? We already know that Bookends II will have about 50 studio units. This could lead to a fairly significant population increase for downtown.

I would assume the Journal meant 5 projects would be under construction

1) Riverwalk

2) Green Monster

3) Something else in the West End. My guess would be the parcel BEHIND the Green Monster OR the Kroc-Academy site

1) Washington Station

2) Something else in the CBD. My guess would be Peacock or Old Auditorium site since both have parking garages in place.

I don't know if it will be built next year but wasnt an apartment building being planned for river place next to Innovate? And I would keep an eye on corner of Rhett and River (not the site behind Green Monster but the other corner) and corner of Rhett and Markley.

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2011/NOVEMBER/PlanningCommission/11-10-2011/Z-39-2011-307and309TownesSt.pdf

A vacant building on Townes Street near the Greek Church is proposed as the site of a restaurant. The application states that a $6+mm grant will be applied for to cover the costs. Liquid Highway is the prospective new owner of the site.

This is the old synagogue which apparently has been for sale for years. I live very close and have been hoping someone would make good use of the building. I am a little disturbed to see the application talk about the neighborhood as "an undesired part of town" with "crime and drug traffic." A bit of hyperbole to garner support for the application, I think. That said, I'm always in favor of removing "cudzoo" and it would be great to see that historic building being used. Expect some opposition from at least one neighbor who has had issues with Liquid Highway occasionally using the site to roast coffee beans.

http://www.greenvill...309TownesSt.pdf

A vacant building on Townes Street near the Greek Church is proposed as the site of a restaurant. The application states that a $6+mm grant will be applied for to cover the costs. Liquid Highway is the prospective new owner of the site.

Sorry for being late on this, but.... Waaaaiiiit a minute, I don't want to skip quickly over the reference to the Auditorium Site. So the whole "GATEWAY" project is not only dead, but forgotten? Or will these apartments be part of that? Is Greenville giving up on the whole grand entrance to the city and selling the Auditorium hole to the first bidder?

You good folks with your fingers on the construction pulse - can you shed any light on what KIND of apartments are "speculated" to be going in there? Could it be the gleaming 25-story promise of yesteryear, or just another 3-story block of "affordable units within walking distance of great downtown destinations?" Please, oh please, let it be the resurrection of the Gateway project! :good:

The city/Auditorium authority sold the land years ago. It is in private hands and has been since before the economy tanked. The parcel was for sale for awhile but the price was unrealistic. The site is being considered for apartments but I have no idea if it is the current owners' plans or a prospective buyer. Like any other potential deal, it may happen or it may not.

Given the small size and the price of the parcel, there is no way a three story building would be an economically successful project. I can't see anything less than a mid-rise going on the site. As with any new project in the CBD, the Design Board would have to approve the design. Given the promenence of the site, the city would be pretty adament for a good design, I think.

Maybe someone else knows more....??

It is my understanding that the current owners of the auditorium site are pursuing the FHA HUD 221 D4 program to finance around 200 market rate apartment units. This is an attractive program as it insures lenders against loss on mortgage defaults. The problem with this program is takes years to get through the approval process and it is to my understanding that the government has plans of getting out of this business. I hope they can conventionally finance this deal. In regards to other projects downtown the ones I am aware of are:

Bookend II (now 100 East) 48 units breaking ground next week - www.100east.net

Riverwalk - 50 or so affordable units (rent restricted but not income restricted)

A site on Rhett Street is under contract to add 52 efficiency units

The Peacock - I understand that they are proposing 150 units. I think this is going to be tough to finance but would love for something to be built on this site as it has been an eyesore for several years.

I believe these are the 5 projects the article was referring to. 2 under construction - Rhett Street should break ground next year - Unfortunately I don’t see the peacock or auditorium site breaking ground in the immediate future but could very easily be wrong.

http://www.greenvill...309TownesSt.pdf

I know the building well since it's only a few hundred feet from my church. I don't know if it's a good location for a restaurant, though.