Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

2 bits on news (sorry if it is already in here and I missed it)

Freerange Brewing looks like it has settle oned Noda 27th (Ameilies building)

Also, not sure its a tap-room style place, but a business named "Three Publicans" is planning to open on Central Ave in the No Grease spot.

2 bits on news (sorry if it is already in here and I missed it)

Freerange Brewing looks like it has settle oned Noda 27th (Ameilies building)

Also, not sure its a tap-room style place, but a business named "Three Publicans" is planning to open on Central Ave in the No Grease spot.

According to this CBJ article, Free Range is actually on the south side of 27th in a freestanding building, not the Amelies building - http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/morning-edition/2013/10/free-range-brewing-finds-home-in.html

It's amazing how  that once section of North Davidson has taken off.  In addition to Amelie's and the Breweries you have the CAST theatre, and the LGBT Community Center of Charlotte.  

And didn't someone say there would be new apartments at 25th? I don't know where they got that info, so I'd like to know more.

Forgive the not-strictly-Charlotte post, but I just found this news of a microbrewry(/restaurant?) on the north side of Rock Hill:

http://www.lakewyliepilot.com/2013/12/19/2219859/riverwalk-could-gain-ymca-microbrewery.html

The article says it is "Legal Remedies[sic] Brewing".  No content on their website: http://www.legalremedybrewing.com/ , facebook page, or twitter (@LegalRemedyBrew).

"

One of the city’s newest recreational facilities, the Giordana Velodrome, opened in Riverwalk in early 2012 and has hosted regional and national cycling competitions.

The microbrewery is expected to be built on the velodrome’s south side and overlook the cycling arena. The YMCA building will also be located near the velodrome.

The microbrewery owner is looking to buy about 3 acres in Riverwalk.
'Microbreweries have had a very positive impact in Charlotte’s South End and NoDa neighborhoods and we are optimistic that the same will hold true for Riverwalk and Rock Hill.'
"

Beer related but not Charlotte related, I want everyone to be on the look out for this one. 

http://beerpulse.com/2014/01/stone-brewing-pays-tribute-to-matt-courtright-with-release-of-matts-burning-rosids-beer-2130/

This is a beer dedicated to one of my good College buddies Matt Courtright, who was killed on the job while working at Stone Brewing company. The beer is kick ass, and was one of his recipes. Happy Drinking

Beer related but not Charlotte related, I want everyone to be on the look out for this one. 

http://beerpulse.com/2014/01/stone-brewing-pays-tribute-to-matt-courtright-with-release-of-matts-burning-rosids-beer-2130/

This is a beer dedicated to one of my good College buddies Matt Courtright, who was killed on the job while working at Stone Brewing company. The beer is kick ass, and was one of his recipes. Happy Drinking

Oooooo...I love a good Saison. I'll look out for it.

Made a special trip with the family on Saturday over to Four Friends Brewing.  Got there at 2:20pm since their website and Facebook page say they open at 2pm.  Nobody there.  We left.  I wrote them about it and they said "sorry but the taproom has been closed since Oct 28, watch facebook for re-opening details".

I follow them on twitter (but not facebook) and see them announcing new beers and so-forth, but I somehow missed that the tap room was closed -- if they ever tweeted it.

Looking back at old posts on their Facebook, I see they announced it on Oct 30.  I also see this exchange:

Nov 30 Kathleen:

“R u opening today?  4 cars waiting.”

Dec 1 Four Friends:

“Please accept our apologies Kathleen; the tasting room is closed until further notice.  We are struggling to secure the necessary additional permits from the city to reopen.”

Dec 2 Kathleen:

“Sorry you are struggling.  There were at least a dozen people who wanted to join you on Saturday.  A notice on the door, website and facebook would have been appreciated.”

Their website and facebook "hours" page both still say 2pm on Saturdays.  Well anyway, they're not open.

Spreadsheet updated:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmDt3ts8a8dLdDVkUWxkOEtoZmJZNUN2ZEhiZ19CWHc&usp=sharing

If anyone's interested, I have 2 extra tix to this weekend's sold out QC Brewers Festival at the NC Music Factory. It's the 6pm session. Unfortunately I can't make it due to a family commitment. Message me if you're interested. I've been dying to go to this but guess I'll have to wait another year.  :ermm:

EDIT: Tickets sold. Thanks to those that inquired. 

Edited by wend28

• 2 weeks later...

So, Unknown brewing.....

I know that they have only been open for 3-4 months but I am kinda surprised about how invisible they are. Other than Panther's game days I have seen nothing that advertises their presence anywhere in town. There are no signs (that I have seen) of any local distribution. Finally, despite living within a mile of their taproom, I have only found myself inside once.

Have I just overlooked their presence, or are they just not doing anything other than their limited hours taproom?

So, Unknown brewing.....

I know that they have only been open for 3-4 months but I am kinda surprised about how invisible they are. Other than Panther's game days I have seen nothing that advertises their presence anywhere in town. There are no signs (that I have seen) of any local distribution. Finally, despite living within a mile of their taproom, I have only found myself inside once.

Have I just overlooked their presence, or are they just not doing anything other than their limited hours taproom?

I could be wrong but I think they are still not ready to start distributing and may still be brewing offsite as they work on their setup. I think that they need to build in an outdoor patio, they have all the space in the world for it and it would definitely help with the visibility issue. 

I've been meaning to make it over there again because their facebook updates make it sound like they are attempting some pretty unique beers. 

So, Unknown brewing.....

I've still yet to go, even though I live in walking distance. I tend to forget that it's there when I want to go out (plus, I just had a kid 3 months ago, so those going-out occasions have been few and far between lately). But I have seen their vans driving around SouthEnd for the past few months, even before they officially opened.