Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

Recently drove by OMB's new location on the S. Tryon side and they have all the brush and some of the trees cleared so you can easily see the back of the brewery now.  I see on their FB page that they are going to have a parking lot off S. Tryon, does anyone know how big that will be and how many of the trees that are left will still be there?  With the tree cover and some landscaping, a large beer garden throughout the grounds would be awesome.   Would love to see a site map of what it will look like, can't wait!

Can anyone offer a reason why Triple C doesn't take down the barbed wire fence at the corner of their brewery?  It makes the place look dangerous and foreboding--which are qualities I don't care for in beer.

Well, I don't know about the barbed wire aspect (and don't really remember it?) but the fence will probably remain because a big part of their crowd is people who bring their dogs. It's not fully fenced in but having that corner secured makes a difference. I think it would definitely be a good move to take it down and rebuild a full wooden fence or something. 

Canned beer from Pisgah Brewing (Black Mountain) via Next Generation Distribution just  expanded (today) to Charlotte.  Now being sold at both Common Markets and Salud.  it is tasty.  They are bringing cans only down the mountain right now, but hopefully will expand into draft beers soon, so ask for it at your favorite watering hole.

Pisgah on draft sometimes makes it down here already, as I remember having their pale ale at Revolution over 3 years ago. Common Market has carried their large bottles off and on for a while too, but the more the better! One of the best little-known NC breweries in my opinion. 

Edited by nonillogical

The Chamber just tweeted a link to this facebook page to get Stone Brewing to set up its east coast operations in Charlotte. This is the first I have heard about the process. Stone is a VERY large and well respected craft brewer from the suburban LA area. I think the addition of more beer industry jobs (making the local craft beer community an even more robust labor market) combined with Stone's national-scale distribution would really move our local brewing to a near-Portland level.

https://www.facebook.com/BringStoneToCharlotte

• Like 4

That's ridiculous.  Is that how big-time RFP's work?  They're asking for a specific address, with detailed and non-trivial requirements.  They're essentially getting the responders to do their searching and site selection for them.

Edited by grodney
  • Like 1

The parking lots at NC Music Factory comes to mind as fitting the description for what they're looking for. Might be too valuable of land for a 130k warehouse to site on though. Maybe if CCCP or the city would throw some incentive dollars out there it would work though. 

Edited by Prodev
  • Like 1

The parking lots at NC Music Factory comes to mind as fitting the description for what they're looking for. Might be too valuable of land for a 130k warehouse to site on though. Maybe if CCCP or the city would throw some incentive dollars out there it would work though. 

I would love nothing more for it to go to NC Music Factory Island, as long as some of the other developments in the area come along and connectivity to uptown continues to improve.  It would spread our craft brewing scene out a little within Urban Charlotte (not that I don't appreciate the "clusters" we have now.)

• Like 1

Speaking of connectivity, not sure if its Hamilton St any more at that point, but would love to see that extended through the cemetery to connect with N. Clarkson.  Sure it is a sensitive subject in that some graves would need to be moved, but it could for about a 3rd of its length replace the existing pathway in the cemetery directly across from Clarkson and not require movement.

So, Unknown brewing.....

I know that they have only been open for 3-4 months but I am kinda surprised about how invisible they are. Other than Panther's game days I have seen nothing that advertises their presence anywhere in town. There are no signs (that I have seen) of any local distribution. Finally, despite living within a mile of their taproom, I have only found myself inside once.

Have I just overlooked their presence, or are they just not doing anything other than their limited hours taproom?

retracted

https://twitter.com/theQclt/status/441338637394132992/photo/1

• Like 1

^ Yes...I know one of the investors at Unknown.  They began brewing on Valentine's day, and 2 nights ago they served their first on-site brew at Duckworths.  They are going to be serving at Mac's starting this weekend I believe, and their tap room is now serving beer brewed on site.

The Chamber just tweeted a link to this facebook page to get Stone Brewing to set up its east coast operations in Charlotte. This is the first I have heard about the process. Stone is a VERY large and well respected craft brewer from the suburban LA area. I think the addition of more beer industry jobs (making the local craft beer community an even more robust labor market) combined with Stone's national-scale distribution would really move our local brewing to a near-Portland level.

https://www.facebook.com/BringStoneToCharlotte

These additions may bring us closer to a near-Asheville level... but near-Portland?  Keep dreaming.  Asheville and Portland have duked it out over the internets for years now about "beer city" status.  The stats on Portland are staggering.  Charlotte's handful of microbrews adding one national scale brewery will amount to a simple drop in a deep bucket.  Below are just a couple of summaries of this battle:

http://www.craftbeer.com/craft-beer-muses/how-does-lil-ole-asheville-keep-winning-the-beer-city-usa-poll

http://www.portlandbeer.org/2009/05/05/succumbing-to-poll-pressure-portland-v-asheville/

• Like 1

I missed this GREAT news -- new brewers and new beers at Heist.  We had sworn them off for their pitiful beer, but now we need to go again!

http://www.charlottebeer.com/2014/03/10/heist-brewery-new-beers/

Yeah that was my biggest complaint about heist, their beer. Their menu is excellent and food is very respectable. Service has always been solid when I have been there, but for how inventive their food was, their beer couldn't have been more boring. This is a welcome change and I am excited to go back.

I missed this GREAT news -- new brewers and new beers at Heist.  We had sworn them off for their pitiful beer, but now we need to go again!

http://www.charlottebeer.com/2014/03/10/heist-brewery-new-beers/

Agree, this is welcome news. I was in there a few weeks ago to pick up dinner (which was solid) and had their porter while I was waiting. I wouldn't say it was awful, but it wasn't anything that I'd pick off the menu to drink again like a NoDa Coco Loco. 

^ That is good news (about Heist), their beer has been preventing me from eating there.

I got the Unknown 'Over the Edge' 'USPA' at Queen City Q last night. I liked it better that the early batch I had from their tap room back when it first opened. The hops were much more even than before. This beer may have become my second (or third) favorite local.

The bad news is that the addition of two taps for Unknown has pushed two other locals out of rotation. I think Jam Session and CocoLoco were pushed off the taps, I did see Jam Session cans in their fridge though.

Went to Pint Central earlier today. Great spot.

They have a really nice patio out back and the food is legit. Not bar food like you would expect. They have some great sandwiches and their tapas menu looked intriguing (I didn't have any of them though). Definitely a place you can go have a great beer and a nice dinner.

I talked with the owner for a while today. Really nice guy. He said they were packed out last night and it generally seems pretty busy when I go by in the evenings. I think it'll do well. I'll certainly make it a regular spot.