Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

A couple weeks left in 2018, but I don't see any more breweries opening this year......unless Heist surprises us with their 2nd taproom.

So for 2018 in CharMeck, we had:

Feb - Heist - production facility
Mar - Divine Barrel
Apr - Seaboard Brewing
Jun - Brewers at 4001 Yancey
Jun - OMB - CLT Airport
Aug - Pilot Brewing
Sep - Legion Brewing - South Park
Sep - Town Brewing
Oct - NoDa Brewing - CLT Airport

which is 9 new "breweries" but 3 actual "Charlotte Breweries" (Divine Barrel, Pilot, Town).  

Looking to 2019, my list looks like:

Nearly for sure (hahaha, as if):
Middle James  (the Pineville)
Heist  - 2nd taproom (NoEn)
Armored Cow (University)
Lower Left  (SoQuPa)
Wooden Robot - NoDa (NoDa)
Fonta Flora CLT (OpPa!)
Protagonist Clubhouse (NoDa)

Allegedly:
Petty Thieves Brewing (NoEn)

Possibly:
Suffolk Punch at Noble Smoke (Freedom Dr)
OMB - 2nd Location (Cornelius)

Edited by grodney
  • Like 1

A couple weeks left in 2018, but I don't see any more breweries opening this year......unless Heist surprises us with their 2nd taproom.
So for 2018 in CharMeck, we had:
Mar - Divine Barrel
Apr - Seaboard Brewing
Jun - Brewers at 4001 Yancey
Jun - OMB - CLT Airport
Aug - Pilot Brewing
Sep - Legion Brewing - South Park
Sep - Town Brewing
Oct - NoDa Brewing - CLT Airport
which is 8 new "breweries" but 3 actual "Charlotte Breweries" (Divine Barrel, Pilot, Town).

Looking to 2019, my list looks like:
Nearly for sure (hahaha, as if):
Middle James  (the Pineville)
Heist  - 2nd taproom (NoEn)
Armored Cow (University)
Lower Left  (SoQuPa)
Wooden Robot - NoDa (NoDa)
Fonta Flora CLT (OpPa!)
Protagonist Clubhouse (NoDa)
Allegedly:
Petty Thieves Brewing (NoEn)
Possibly:
Suffolk Punch at Noble Smoke (Freedom Dr)
OMB - 2nd Location (Cornelius)

You forgot Protagonist Brewery (OpPa!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

You forgot Protagonist Brewery (OpPa!)

Yeah the Charlotte Mag article below said "early 2020" for that location, so I left it off the 2019 list....at least for now.  But yeah I think that's the only other one with an announced location.  We allegedly have Axiom and Smiles (and Nordic Tombstone), but none have locations or dates yet.

http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Charlotte-Magazine/December-2018/Protagonist-Clubhouse-makes-first-hire-with-much-more-to-come/

p.s. Map updated with approximate Petty Theives location: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

Here was my post from Jan 5, with comments in square brackets added today:

Possible brewery openings in 2018:

Heist - 2nd taproom and production [half]

Divine Barrel [check]

Seaboard [check]

Petty Thieves [nope, but likely in 2019]

Pilot [check]

Lubromation site on Grandin [check, Town Brewing]

Hyde at Noble Smoke [nope and no word]

Artisanal Brewing Ventures - CLT [check, Brewers at 4001 Yancey]

Legion - South Park [check]

Matthews Brewing Company [nope, change of plans, out of county]

?? OMB - Cornelius [nope, announced target of 2019]

?? Fathead's - CLT [nope, pulled out]

Not sure if we mentioned it on the board anywhere but Brewers at Yancey has their latest acquisition, Sixpoint Brewery on tap now.  I know it can be found elsewhere around town but pretty cool to see ABV grow and who else they may add to their portfolio of breweries

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

Finally went to Brewers at 4001 Yancey.  Beer was fine.  Place was fine.  Not local.  Whatever.   Then Legion in South Park.  Disappointingly small beer selection.  Beer was good.  Place was good.  Boiled penauts were not salty and not mushy and not cajun.....so, terrific for people who don't like boiled peanuts.   Finally the new gigantic Harris Teeter at Rea Farms (Rea and Providence).  Wow.  It's like a normal store but photoshopped to 1.5x scale.   And the botox was about an 11 on a 10 point scale. 

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, grodney said:

Finally went to Brewers at 4001 Yancey.  Beer was fine.  Place was fine.  Not local.  Whatever.   Then Legion in South Park.  Disappointingly small beer selection.  Beer was good.  Place was good.  Boiled penauts were not salty and not mushy and not cajun.....so, terrific for people who don't like boiled peanuts.   Finally the new gigantic Harris Teeter at Rea Farms (Rea and Providence).  Wow.  It's like a normal store but photoshopped to 1.5x scale.   And the botox was about an 11 on a 10 point scale. 

Visits two breweries and a grocery store only to provide a detailed analysis of the boiled peanuts and foreheads.  Classic! :tw_joy:

• Haha 2

Have you discovered BeerCharlotte.com yet?  I just did.  I was skeptical when I stumbled on them, but their reviews are pretty well written, and seemingly backed by knowledge.  I don't think their beer review opinion weighs much more than any rando on beeradvocate, but it's sort-of nice to read a fully fleshed-out review of our local spots, including criticism of beers when warranted.

On 1/3/2019 at 8:09 AM, grodney said:

Have you discovered BeerCharlotte.com yet?  I just did.  I was skeptical when I stumbled on them, but their reviews are pretty well written, and seemingly backed by knowledge.  I don't think their beer review opinion weighs much more than any rando on beeradvocate, but it's sort-of nice to read a fully fleshed-out review of our local spots, including criticism of beers when warranted.

Very good site, thanks for sharing.

The brewery also will gain another 3,000 square feet as it takes over the Park-It space. That supports expansion of its taproom and the addition of a permanent beer garden.

Thats a big get for Wooden Robot.  I kind of hoped that some other type of retail would fill that spot to add some variety to Summit St, but anything beats Park-It.  

*This is only related to Charlotte beer via fantasy* (sorry)

The Triad Business Journal reports that the old Miller brewery in Eden has been sold. It sold to DH Griffin (the demolition / salvage company) for $2.57 million (e.g. nothing). The facility could brew 9 _million_ barrels per year. I kinda think that the brewing equipment was removed from the building before its purchase, but I did think it would be cool if Old Meck bought the massive brewing system from Griffin for a few hundred bucks, trucked it here, and proceeded to sling Copper and Captain Jack worldwide from their Charlotte base.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/01/07/dh-griffin-cos-buys-nc-millercoors-plant-for.html

Edited by kermit

29 minutes ago, kermit said:

*This is only related to Charlotte beer via fantasy* (sorry)

The Triad Business Journal reports that the old Miller brewery in Eden has been sold. It sold to DH Griffin (the demolition / salvage company) for $2.57 million (e.g. nothing). The facility could brew 9 _million_ barrels per year. I kinda think that the brewing equipment was removed from the building before its purchase, but I had a tiny fantasy that Old Meck bought the massive brewing system from Griffin for a few hundred bucks, trucked it here, and proceeded to sling Copper and Captain Jack worldwide from their Charlotte base.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/01/07/dh-griffin-cos-buys-nc-millercoors-plant-for.html

My immediate thought was, "why does a demolition company want to buy a huge industrial plant?"

Apparently they don't know, either: 

"Right now, we don't have any plans," Griffin said. "It's a great asset. I'm sure we can do something positive with it."

*Subjective nit-pick* (might just be a cranky old guy personal taste thing)

I went to Craft a couple of times over the holidays, both trips I was disappointed with their tap curation. I struggled to find something I wanted to drink, and more often than not, the thing I picked kinda sucked. Lots of sours (which I like, but having them be more than 25% of the taps seems excessive), lots of mediocre stuff (e.g. GreenMan and Sycamore) and lots of mainstream stuff (e.g. Victory and Bells).

I might just be me, but I have very fond memories of their variety of taps a couple years ago.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kermit said:

*Subjective nit-pick* (might just be a cranky old guy personal taste thing)

I went to Craft a couple of times over the holidays, both trips I was disappointed with their tap curation. I struggled to find something I wanted to drink, and more often than not, the thing I picked kinda sucked. Lots of sours (which I like, but having them be more than 25% of the taps seems excessive), lots of mediocre stuff (e.g. GreenMan and Sycamore) and lots of mainstream stuff (e.g. Victory and Bells).

I might just be me, but I have very fond memories of their variety of taps a couple years ago.

You are not alone in this feeling, Pop The Top has established themselves (for me at least) as the spot to hit for the rarities, variety and badass beers. Both on tap and in stock.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Jayvee said:

You are not alone in this feeling, Pop The Top has established themselves (for me at least) as the spot to hit for the rarities, variety and badass beers. Both on tap and in stock.

Yup, Pop the Top has an incredible selection, especially in their grocery, but they are about $1/pint more expensive than most places in the city.  I still love Craft, and I think that their ambience is second-to-none in Charlotte, but will concede that the past few times I've been there haven't been as many great beers as usual.  Has anyone in here been to Good Bottle since they re-vamped?  I used to go there all the time way back when.

26 minutes ago, CTiger said:

Yup, Pop the Top has an incredible selection, especially in their grocery, but they are about $1/pint more expensive than most places in the city.  I still love Craft, and I think that their ambience is second-to-none in Charlotte, but will concede that the past few times I've been there haven't been as many great beers as usual.  Has anyone in here been to Good Bottle since they re-vamped?  I used to go there all the time way back when.

Yeah, I do agree its $0.50-$1 more BUTTTT they also get rarer ish than most. I've been to Good Bottle, it feels almost the same and the selection is meh.