Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

19 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Do tell, where is this mythical 8-pack pint of cans for $16? Do you buy them straight from their brewery?

Yes, the release was Saturday.  I don't know if they're going to distribute.  I got an 8-pack at the brewery, and it is better than average on the Sycamore scale.  Definitely drinkable/enjoyable for $2/pint.

9 hours ago, kermit said:

I think this is where I tap out:

I had a sour at Stone Brewing in Liberty Station San Diego that they brewed to taste like sour Skittles.  That one was actually not too bad.  This one I'm with you I can't get on board with.  Or the Flying Dog Dead Rise which is an Old Bay flavored summer beer.  That just doesn't sound refreshing.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, grodney said:

15 THOUSAND tickets, for 100 vendors pouring 3oz at a time?  Good luck.

Not doubting you, but where do you see the 15k tickets number?  I didn't see that. 

I have to imagine that they'll add more breweries or find some way to cut down on wait times.  Anyone who has been to a beer festival knows that 15,000 people spread over 100 breweries ain't gonna work.  I'd love to hear more details on how they plan to make this worth the average beer drinker's time/money.

If they do this right though, it would be pretty awesome for Charlotte.  This is the kind of event that could really put the city on the US beer map, if it isn't already.  

• Like 1

On 2/22/2019 at 7:47 AM, grodney said:

I have 3 bits of weird Sycamore stuff:

1) This Saturday they are releasing "Juiciness IPA" , the latest in their IPAs that are indistinguishable and inconsistent.....in my opinion.....but apparently sell.  Anyway, they're doing 8-pack boxes of cans instead of 4-packs.  If that weren't odd enough, they're saying the 8-packs are $15.99.  I figured it was a typo, but they typed it twice separately.  What in the world?  That doesn't even make sense.  Weird.

2) Last Saturday.......cold, rainy, all-star festivities......they had an oyster roast.  And now they just announced this Sunday they're having a "pop up raw bar" with free oysters on the half-shell.  You don't think they.........they're not using............8 days later............nooooo.......can't be.  But weird.

3) I was at a small bottle shop and couldn't find any Sycamore on the shelf.  I asked the owner, and he said they no longer carry it, because Sycamore treats people poorly.  Apparently specifically an ex-employee (of Syc, or of the bottle shop?  I don't know).  He said he hated to do it because their product sells, but you can't treat people like that.  Huh, weird.

That is quite the conspiracy theory. Lol. You are aware the first oyster event was from some oyster farmer from the coast and the second was held by their also South End neighbor, the Waterman, right? I went to both.

Edited by NeverSummer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NeverSummer said:

That is quite the conspiracy theory. Lol. You are aware the first oyster event was from some oyster farmer from the coast and the second was held by their also South End neighbor, the Waterman, right? I went to both.

Whew!  Haha, nope, I didn't know that......I was just going by was was published on social media.....so it seemed......weird.  Good to hear, though!

• Like 1

On 2/26/2019 at 3:38 PM, grodney said:

This article has both the 15,000 number, and the 3oz number.  Agree, of course, they might not actually sell 15K.  And also some chance it could be a typo, as suggested.

http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Charlotte-Magazine/March-2019/Panthers-Stadium-to-Host-First-Ever-Untappd-Beer-Festival/

Good god, I'm glad I got pre-sale early access tickets this morning. You gotta think that's a typo, hopefully the Untappd guys are smarter than that, I'm sure they've been to dozens of beer fests. 

I went to a sour beer fest in Denver a few years back the weekend of GABF which was a total disaster as IDs were still be checked 90 minutes into a 3 hour fest. The brewers were claiming they were told by the organizers that less people were attending than was really the case and the minimum beer there were to bring was way too low. Some breweries were out of beer by the end of the early access period.  The brewers were not happy and quite embarrassed.  Hopefully they don't make a similar mistake.

4 hours ago, Bruco72 said:

Good god, I'm glad I got pre-sale early access tickets this morning. You gotta think that's a typo, hopefully the Untappd guys are smarter than that, I'm sure they've been to dozens of beer fests. 

I went to a sour beer fest in Denver a few years back the weekend of GABF which was a total disaster as IDs were still be checked 90 minutes into a 3 hour fest. The brewers were claiming they were told by the organizers that less people were attending than was really the case and the minimum beer there were to bring was way too low. Some breweries were out of beer by the end of the early access period.  The brewers were not happy and quite embarrassed.  Hopefully they don't make a similar mistake.

Based on their app and endless badge focus, I would not assume the Untappd guys are smarter than that. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Unfortunately, that does not surprise me.  The first time I was there not long after they had opened, I was unimpressed.  Last year on either a second or third return, still underwhelmed.  I don't think they ever got the oomph they needed and opened in an already crowded market along Old Pineville.  They were up against OMB and Sugar Creek to name a few.  That notwithstanding, 4001 at Yancey opened and is going like gangbusters.  So, I'm not sure if I'm nullifying my own thoughts, or they were just in a bad spot from the beginning.  I never remember it being all that crowded any of the times I was there.

Next question, who will buy it - especially if it is "Turn-key" ready.  This just screams of another big brewery ready to jump in and create a secondary location (ala OMB, NoDa, Heist).  Thoughts?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JRNYP2C said:

Unfortunately, that does not surprise me.  The first time I was there not long after they had opened, I was unimpressed.  Last year on either a second or third return, still underwhelmed.  I don't think they ever got the oomph they needed and opened in an already crowded market along Old Pineville.  They were up against OMB and Sugar Creek to name a few.  That notwithstanding, 4001 at Yancey opened and is going like gangbusters.  So, I'm not sure if I'm nullifying my own thoughts, or they were just in a bad spot from the beginning.  I never remember it being all that crowded any of the times I was there.

Next question, who will buy it - especially if it is "Turn-key" ready.  This just screams of another big brewery ready to jump in and create a secondary location (ala OMB, NoDa, Heist).  Thoughts?

Would love to see Legal Remedy establish a Charlotte brewpub, not sure if this location would be a worthy investment for them.  But each time I've been down there the food and beers are great and if I can reliably get the Jalapeno Pineapple Pale on draft within two miles from my house I'm all for it

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JRNYP2C said:

Yea I agree with that last statement, I just think its a little far flung from the "LoSo" center of gravity. That said, the immediate area is going to be seeing around 1000 new residential units, 650,000 sq feet of office, and 250 hotel rooms in the next 2 years, so things are going to change quickly. 

Edited by Guest

The poor location could be overcome by good beer. That said their beer wasn’t very good and when the head brewer is also the owner, it’s hard to overcome.  I personally can’t see another charlotte brewery taking the spot as a second location. If they are on spot #2, I bet they want to build it from scratch and not repeat the mistakes of others and themselves.  But a startup that has been looking for space is a good bet. 

But...if I were Salud and turning a profit while brewing at OG Heist...I am sure a brewery, pizzeria, and store combo would do ok in this location!

• Like 1

The poor location could be overcome by good beer. That said their beer wasn’t very good and when the head brewer is also the owner, it’s hard to overcome.  I personally can’t see another charlotte brewery taking the spot as a second location. If they are on spot #2, I bet they want to build it from scratch and not repeat the mistakes of others and themselves.  But a startup that has been looking for space is a good bet. 

But...if I were Salud and turning a profit while brewing at OG Heist...I am sure a brewery, pizzeria, and store combo would do ok in this location!

Oh I was thinking it would make good barrel aging or additional production brewing. I really think it’s a lowsy location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Amelie's on Pineville-Matthews Road (51) yesterday, and they have Hop Drop cans for $5!  I think that's the cheapest re-sale can of Hop Drop I've ever seen.  Their barista was rude, but whatever.

In other news, the 8-packs of Juiciness from Sycamore have made it to Harris Teeter......still $16.  I'm stocking up.

2 hours ago, grodney said:

I went to Amelie's on Pineville-Matthews Road (51) yesterday, and they have Hop Drop cans for $5!  I think that's the cheapest re-sale can of Hop Drop I've ever seen.  Their barista was rude, but whatever.

In other news, the 8-packs of Juiciness from Sycamore have made it to Harris Teeter......still $16.  I'm stocking up.

The barista wasn't being rude, just French.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Three spirits demise was threefold (get it):

1 the location was meh. Too far from a light rail station to be worth taking and too far from other breweries to walk it. Having a front porch view (and smell) of Cargill probably doesn’t help here either.

2 the building they were in was also a problem, they had too much space and thus were paying  too much rent. When they had enough space to build out an escape room and tried using this to drive customers I was concerned. Additionally being a 70s tiltup conccrete building doesn’t give you that cool vibe like a brick industrial building with exposed wood ceilings regardless of how you decorate it to look like a pub. Drab building.  

3 their beer wasn’t memorable. I only went there two or theee times. There was only one beer I recall enjoying more than the rest. I think focusing on British ales was not a good move. Your average millennial and customer just wants to drink IPAs.  It’also troubling when a British brewery starts producing Belgian style ales. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, grodney said:

The one Uptown always has Hop Drop on draft for $5

• Like 1