Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

Hey you guys!  Another Urban Planet exclusive*.....I was at South Park Mall yesterday (my 1 trip there per year for my daughters to shop for school) and I was walking along and I spied 6 Hyde Brewing taps inside some store!!!  What??!  So I went in and asked what magical place this was.  The nice gentleman said something about clothes and casual-wear or somesuch, but then said the owner of the store also owns Hyde, so they decided to put taps in.  And there's a small bar where you can sit and drink.  Amazing.

I would tell you the store name or where it was.....but I don't know.  Maybe on the left side as you walk from Gap to Showmars.  Or maybe I'm turned around.  Hahaha, I have no idea.

*"exclusive" --- this is probably old news to most of you.

In other news, Legion is opening their restaurant in South Park next month, according to teh Agender.

In other non-beer news, Sycamore is starting to can their cider....it should hit stores this month.....according the twitter machine.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, grodney said:

Hey you guys!  Another Urban Planet exclusive*.....I was at South Park Mall yesterday (my 1 trip there per year for my daughters to shop for school) and I was walking along and I spied 6 Hyde Brewing taps inside some store!!!  What??!  So I went in and asked what magical place this was.  The nice gentleman said something about clothes and casual-wear or somesuch, but then said the owner of the store also owns Hyde, so they decided to put taps in.  And there's a small bar where you can sit and drink.  Amazing.

I would tell you the store name or where it was.....but I don't know.  Maybe on the left side as you walk from Gap to Showmars.  Or maybe I'm turned around.  Hahaha, I have no idea.

*"exclusive" --- this is probably old news to most of you.

In other news, Legion is opening their restaurant in South Park next month, according to teh Agender.

In other non-beer news, Sycamore is starting to can their cider....it should hit stores this month.....according the twitter machine.

Wow didn't know this but looks like it was buried in an Agenda shopping article:

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/104987/ivy-citizens-will-open-flagship-store-southpark-mall-friday/

As far as Legion opening next month...I'll believe it when I see it (maybe Sept 30th).  I drive by it everyday and while you can see progress, it still looks a long way away from opening. I will say they bust their ass on the spot though.  Workers are flying around at 7am every day. They aren't wasting time that's for sure.  I can't wait to walk out of work and hit Legion up!  Southpark proper is such a wasteland for a nice after work beer in a comfortable setting (I won't even consider T Mac unless someone else is buying).

Edited by InSouthPark

33 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Wow didn't know this but looks like it was buried in an Agenda shopping article:

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/104987/ivy-citizens-will-open-flagship-store-southpark-mall-friday/

Huh.....the location shown in that article isn't where I saw it.  I just looked up Ivy Citizens on the South Park map (http://www.simon.com/mall/southpark/map/ivy-citizens) and it's this teeny tiny space between Kendra Scott and Sephora......which matches what I saw yesterday.   Definitely the same company, though, with the start in leggings and now athletic leisure or whatever......that's what the guy was babbling about when all I wanted was a beer.

Edited by grodney
  • Haha 1

Well how about that.....I guess Pilot (in Plaza Mid) is opening this weekend.  "Industry Night" on Friday.  I have no idea what that means but it appears to be an open event on the facebook.  And last Friday they posted they would be open to the public "next weekend".  So yeah.  Enjoy.

• Like 1

I was checking NC Beer Guys "coming soon" map, and saw these in charlotte that I've never heard of before:

Axiom Brewing Company

Hornets Nest Brewing Company (Mint Hill)

Library Brewing Company

Nordic Tombstone Brewing

Reichelt Brewing

Smiles Brewing

Webdale Brewing Company

I don't know if I'm bored enough to research all those.  Oh, who am I kidding.

8 minutes ago, grodney said:

I was checking NC Beer Guys "coming soon" map, and saw these in charlotte that I've never heard of before:

Axiom Brewing Company

Hornets Nest Brewing Company (Mint Hill)

Library Brewing Company

Nordic Tombstone Brewing

Reichelt Brewing

Smiles Brewing

Webdale Brewing Company

I don't know if I'm bored enough to research all those.  Oh, who am I kidding.

Hornets Nest Brewery...interesting.  The LLC says it was created in 2010.  Olde Meck has a Hornets Nest bottled beer (released as far as I can tell in 2013).  Someone will be changing names if they ever come online. 

On  Pilot brewery...I'm already a fan based on their Facebook take on the "Charlotte Independent Brewers Alliance"...which for those that don't want to look at FB is:  "Just to be clear, we are Charlotte beer just as much as we are craft, independent brewers. We support all independent, craft brewers regardless of location. We do not support the views of this article nor the discriminatory views of CIBA."  This is in regards to the Charlotte Five article written about "what is Charlotte beer and do these other out of town breweries count".    Olde Meck is the driving force behind the "we aren't letting Catawba and Victory/ST in our local brewery group".  They were also the ones that put up "Our craft beer is better than your craft beer" billboards.    All which pits independent breweries against other independent breweries.   

The Asheville Brewers Alliance (much bigger than CLT) doesn't play the petty discrimination game and includes giants such as Sierra Nevada, New Belgium, and Oskar Blues (none of which brew the majority of their beer in the area). And in return, places like Sierra Nevada offer up their state of the art lab to other AVL breweries and all work together to  promote "Asheville Beer". 

*Off Soap Box*

Yeah that Hornets Nest Brewery is really old.  I found newer bizpedia entries for Axiom, Nordic Tombstone (which won a design contest), and Smiles.  And I found a recent facebook page for Webdale, though they look like little more than homebrewers at this point.  Of course that's what Wooden Robot looked like when I first saw them, hahahaha.

The Axiom guy (Brian Wallace) won a contest to brew a beer with NoDa last year.

7 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

Hornets Nest Brewery...interesting.  The LLC says it was created in 2010.  Olde Meck has a Hornets Nest bottled beer (released as far as I can tell in 2013).  Someone will be changing names if they ever come online. 

On  Pilot brewery...I'm already a fan based on their Facebook take on the "Charlotte Independent Brewers Alliance"...which for those that don't want to look at FB is:  "Just to be clear, we are Charlotte beer just as much as we are craft, independent brewers. We support all independent, craft brewers regardless of location. We do not support the views of this article nor the discriminatory views of CIBA."  This is in regards to the Charlotte Five article written about "what is Charlotte beer and do these other out of town breweries count".    Olde Meck is the driving force behind the "we aren't letting Catawba and Victory/ST in our local brewery group".  They were also the ones that put up "Our craft beer is better than your craft beer" billboards.    All which pits independent breweries against other independent breweries.   

The Asheville Brewers Alliance (much bigger than CLT) doesn't play the petty discrimination game and includes giants such as Sierra Nevada, New Belgium, and Oskar Blues (none of which brew the majority of their beer in the area). And in return, places like Sierra Nevada offer up their state of the art lab to other AVL breweries and all work together to  promote "Asheville Beer". 

*Off Soap Box*

Agree with this Pilot take - glad to see someone else skeptical of this CIBA as it's always rubbed me the wrong way. Olde Meck seems to do a lot of this kind of thing, from their reps tweeting anti-hazy IPA takes (people like them, it's ok. they also seem to like your lagers) to the whole distribution change that is basically just OMB + NoDa lobbying...

On 8/8/2018 at 10:11 AM, grodney said:

Well how about that.....I guess Pilot (in Plaza Mid) is opening this weekend.  "Industry Night" on Friday.  I have no idea what that means but it appears to be an open event on the facebook.  And last Friday they posted they would be open to the public "next weekend".  So yeah.  Enjoy.

I will only comment on their logo since I am not a drinker.  I've seen it criticized but my opinion is that it's so bad it's good.  I'd definitely wear a t-shirt with that thing on it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

What are some good Session IPAs that I can buy in cans/bottles?

I love Birdsong's "Paradise City," but I need moar. I need that hoppiness without the alcohol.

Thoughts? 

Noda Par 4 is the best in my opinion for local.   Regional: Oskar Blues Pinner.   Not local but the best all around (price included) IMHO:  Founders All Day IPA.  If you like the more floral IPA, Highland Daycation is great (not very bitter but good hop aroma) and is regional as well.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Noda Par 4 is the best in my opinion for local.   Regional: Oskar Blues Pinner.   Not local but the best all around (price included) IMHO:  Founders All Day IPA.  If you like the more floral IPA, Highland Daycation is great (not very bitter but good hop aroma) and is regional as well.

These are great answers.  I would throw Unknown Scratch n Sniff in there as well.  4.7% ABV and pretty good hop profile.  

Two random things:

• I am beginning to see Bold Missy beer on taps around town (well, just Bakersfield). I tasted it (tangerine wheat I think), not bad -- for a wheat beer. Seeing the tap made me realize that their are quite a few breweries around town that I never see outside of their walls. Free Range, Resident Culture, Three Spirits, Sugar Creek appears to have disappeared from taps and several other small breweries. That said, I don't get outside of Southend / Dilworth much.
  • I had my first Hop Drop in a long while at the ballpark last night. My impression was that the beer is not aging well -- the citra just isn't as significant as I remembered. Perhaps its not the classic I had thought it was.
Edited by kermit

14 hours ago, kermit said:

Two random things:

• I am beginning to see Bold Missy beer on taps around town (well, just Bakersfield). I tasted it (tangerine wheat I think), not bad -- for a wheat beer. Seeing the tap made me realize that their are quite a few breweries around town that I never see outside of their walls. Free Range, Resident Culture, Three Spirits, Sugar Creek appears to have disappeared from taps and several other small breweries. That said, I don't get outside of Southend / Dilworth much.

Sugar creek is at least carried in most grocery stores collecting dust but I do see them on tap occasionally.  Resident Culture can't really keep up with demand in the taproom.  Not sure about Free Range.  Three Spirits will be the next to fold I would think unless they do a lot more tap room business than I think they do.  Lenny Boy doesn't have a lot of handles around either but seem to be flourishing with the Kombucha.  Besides sugar creek, I don't even know if those other places even have sales managers like Birdsong, Olde Meck, Noda, etc. 

I am totally fine with only some places having handles all over town though. I like being forced out of my neighborhood to go to the taproom!

A few quick comments:

- Paradise City IS a session IPA.

- Thirsty Nomad will be the next to fold. I have no idea how they're still in business.  I worry about Bold Missy for sure.  Three Spirits seems to be doing okay, but yeah wouldn't surprise me if they didn't make it. Who knows, maybe they found their niche with a loyal local crowd.  The different economic models for breweries are fascinating, between tap room, tap handles, and shelf.

- I think Hop Drop is as awesome as ever.  No consistency problems anymore. Yeah, it's a West Coast citra....not as sexy as the newer double-dry-hopped hazy NE stuff, but it's still my go-to.

- Sycamore Moon Juice was a 7.04% (local, get it!?) IPA, most sites call it a double/imperial IPA, which is kind of dumb since Sycamore doesn't call it that and it's only 7 percent.  Anyway, it's not around anymore. But yeah it was pretty delicious.

1 hour ago, grodney said:

A few quick comments:

- Thirsty Nomad will be the next to fold. I have no idea how they're still in business.  I worry about Bold Missy for sure.  Three Spirits seems to be doing okay, but yeah wouldn't surprise me if they didn't make it. Who knows, maybe they found their niche with a loyal local crowd.  The different economic models for breweries are fascinating, between tap room, tap handles, and shelf.

Surprisingly...I have taken my daughter to multiple Harry Potter trivia nights at Thirsty Nomad and the place is completely full.  I know they do all kinds of other trivia nights as well.  I have never been there otherwise but if they found a niche with the trivia, it might be keeping them afloat for now.  

• Like 1

Has anyone been to Blue Blaze in a while?  I went once with my SO and we were the only two there.  I was kind of "meh" on their beer and the location is definitely not a walk to or bike to spot for most people.  Does anyone know if they draw a crowd?  That would be the one that wouldn't surprise me too much if it folded, although I did see they started canning at least one of their beers and sell it at Knights games.

Was at Blue Blaze on Saturday and there were probably 15 or so folks there with others coming and going.  I predict they'll be alright, especially with the area continuing to develop.  At least for me, I prefer these smaller breweries because of the intimacy.  

41 minutes ago, CTiger said:

Has anyone been to Blue Blaze in a while?  I went once with my SO and we were the only two there.  I was kind of "meh" on their beer and the location is definitely not a walk to or bike to spot for most people.  Does anyone know if they draw a crowd?  That would be the one that wouldn't surprise me too much if it folded, although I did see they started canning at least one of their beers and sell it at Knights games.

I think they also do a pretty good business through canning and distribution - I know I've seen their beers the last time i was in Charleston. I think they can 5 beers last i checked. I do worry when Town Brewing opens in Wesley Heights if that will siphon off tap room business from Blue Blaze. 

Yeah, they can at least the Blue, Black, Yellow, Pink, Trail, and last fall they did an Oktoberfest-ish.  Good presence at a lot of HTs.  Very walkable/bikeable from uptown via the trail they are literally on.  They announced big expansion news not long ago, but at the same time appeared to be looking for investors....so yeah not sure what to think.  We go every few months and it's never busy, but we go very early in the day.  I'm thinking/hoping Town will actually help, not hurt.