Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

13 minutes ago, grodney said:

p.s. I've also heard, but not confirmed, that Sugar Creek Station to Divine/Missy is a horrid walk, and you're better just walking from 36th.

Can confirm this, will be much better when they finish the whole Sugar Creek debacle. 

9 hours ago, grodney said:

I saw that "Brew Line" map.  I like the concept, but I think the graphic artists here could have done better.  I envision each walk being a little subway line, like a tube map.  Blue Line could also be more diagonal maybe.  Or something.

Dude is also obviously not local.  No Divine Barrel, no GoodRoad (I mean he included Red Clay), Birdsong inside 277 and the wrong stop, Hyde a 4-minute walk instead of literally 30 seconds, and worst of all.....walking time to the OG NoDa where the taproom isn't even open anymore!

Don't worry, I set him straight on the twitters.

duty_calls.png

p.s. I've also heard, but not confirmed, that Sugar Creek Station to Divine/Missy is a horrid walk, and you're better just walking from 36th.

I can confirm that walk is extremely bad. You basically have to go around on the street, in an industrial park. Much better to just go from 36th. 

Judging from tap presence around town it looks like Unknown’s feather light is getting some traction. I was kinda put off by it at first but now (after my wife decided she likes it) I think they found a niche for it.

My limited tastes of it make me think it’s really not bad for a Germanish pils.  So I think it’s a good addition to local taps.

17 hours ago, kermit said:

Judging from tap presence around town it looks like Unknown’s feather light is getting some traction. I was kinda put off by it at first but now (after my wife decided she likes it) I think they found a niche for it.

My limited tastes of it make me think it’s really not bad for a Germanish pils.  So I think it’s a good addition to local taps.

I liked Feather Light when I had it at the tap room.  Its not a great beer by any stretch, but I could drink a dozen or so of them out on the lake  or on the beach.  The thing I don't get, is that they charge the same price for Feather Light as they do Over the Edge and some of their other big robust beers.  Right now they are making a Bud Light-esque beer, but still charging craft beer prices for it.  I think this concept is bound to fail if they don't rethink that aspect.

• Like 2

Anybody else feel like Heist is manipulating the market by not canning more?  They have the new production facility and the canning line, yet very few cans coming out.  Instead, they sell pints and crowlers.....both WAY more expensive to the consumer than cans.  Hmmmm.  Or am I just bitter?

4 hours ago, grodney said:

Anybody else feel like Heist is manipulating the market by not canning more?  They have the new production facility and the canning line, yet very few cans coming out.  Instead, they sell pints and crowlers.....both WAY more expensive to the consumer than cans.  Hmmmm.  Or am I just bitter?

I imagine they didn't invest capital in a fixed canning line only to not use it. 

5 hours ago, grodney said:

I’ve never ever ever ever found myself wanting a beer from Heist so I can’t say for sure :p

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

I’ve never ever ever ever found myself wanting a beer from Heist so I can’t say for sure :p

Haahahahahahahaha, cool, more for me!  They used to be horrible, no doubt.  I tried 3 times in the first 3 years, and it was really bad beer every time.  But Citraquench'l and Azacca Flocca are the real deal.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grodney said:

Haahahahahahahaha, cool, more for me!  They used to be horrible, no doubt.  I tried 3 times in the first 3 years, and it was really bad beer every time.  But Citraquench'l and Azacca Flocca are the real deal.

And more for me too! :)

Heist's IPA are being recognized across the southeast  as some of the best hazy New England style IPA's  in the state.  Citraquench'l is the 12th highest rated American IPA on beer advocate (And Blurred is the Word is top 100 as well).   Having a beer ranked like that against the who's who of breweries is quite impressive!  Not everyone likes the IPA's (like Jayvee) but Heist should be recognized as a big time brewery, not just for CLT...but for the region. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, grodney said:

Haha, good point!  Maybe they don't have a canning line.....I guess I don't know for sure.

I *think* they do now. Previously, Heist along with many others were using a mobile canning line in a truck which shows up when you need to can one-offs like they were previously releasing. 

On 11/29/2017 at 3:22 PM, InSouthPark said:

If I were a betting man: they install a simple 15bbl brewery for the production of their sours onsite with  maybe a pilot system.  Hope we get details soon, but more importantly , I just want to see construction start! 

Reviving this mystery from November......it is now confirmed via instagram that Legion *won't* be brewing at the South Park location.

Their exact quote is: "We will be brewing the beer in Plaza Midwood, and transporting the wort over to SouthPark for fermentation.".

• Like 1

CBJ reports that Triple C has partnered with a distributor for expansion into York and Lancaster. Does this mean that they are now exempt from the 25,000 barrel limit?  (They are still producing less than 10,000 barels so its not a necessity). Are their any other local brewers who have hired distributors? I kinda suspect that Unknown has, I have seen their beers down in the Wilmington area frequently.

32 minutes ago, kermit said:

CBJ reports that Triple C has partnered with a distributor for expansion into York and Lancaster. Does this mean that they are now exempt from the 25,000 barrel limit?  (They are still producing less than 10,000 barels so its not a necessity). Are their any other local brewers who have hired distributors? I kinda suspect that Unknown has, I have seen their beers down in the Wilmington area frequently.

I think Unknown's entire business plan was distribution out of the gate

On 6/14/2018 at 5:14 PM, kermit said:

I don't know if it makes them exempt or not, but in the state of South Carolina you have to use a distributor to sell your beer in restaurants and bottleshops/stores. They don't allow self distribution.