Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, Bos2Nash said:

Currently the average home size in the US is right around between 2K and 3K which is insane. We need to downsize the average homes if affordability wants to be combated.

So, I am curious how you propose to downsize the average US home? Does the admitted fact that demand is driving the building of larger homes enter into the equation?

Funny thing is, I thing just the opposite can be said - The free-market is the boogyman all statists call-out as the reason there in a shortage of housing. The same government complaining about the lack of housing is in many cases a large part of the problem.
Your final argument is somewhat of a red herring.... I mean (1) housing is not a right (maybe minimal shelter for humanitarian reasons but not housing) and (2) living where you want to live is not a right....people are mobile and can move to locales where housing is more affordable ...(take the example of a New York company moving its headquarters to Nashville because of lower total costs of living ...including housing ... everything is relative), people and companies can relocate to Columbia, TN or Dyersburg, TN or any number of other lower cost destinations. 

Edited by Guest

Yes, to design and recommend and advise in such a way is your choice and your clients' choices are to heed or discard such advice. This is all well and proper and a sign of a working marketplace as others will be advising for more luxury and size....the process self-selecting to a large degree.

Again you deflect...trouble affording housing does not = homelessness and the homeless problem I and other have complained about on the board are not destitute families milling about nor min. wage employees who just happen to want to bathe and sleep in Church Street Park - completely different subgroup.  Basic jobs do need to be filled (and let me state as a matter of fact and not arrogance as I have previously worked for years in restaurants and in hotels) I have yet to eat out or stay in a hotel or go to a car wash that was closed because of no workers. Why is that ? Because they find workers to agree to the wage they are offering or they increase the wages offered to land the workers. ... these workers must include all the associated expenses which include where to live and how to get to and from from work.

For example, over the years I have been offered jobs in New York City and have turned them all down because the compensation package was not enough to overcome my increased costs in housing and over-all living expenses (not to mention quality of living options in Nashville v. NYC). Currently, I work for a company with principal offices in LA and London with the understanding I may perform my function from Nashville. 

The population bulge of the baby-boomers continues to play out and demand is  transitioning to smaller primary and pied-a-terre homes. As that generation departs, there will be falling demand and the housing market run-up will unwind somewhat making it a more affordable option.... all within the market structure.

Anyway thanks for your posts and good luck.

Edited by Guest

On 1/22/2019 at 2:17 PM, Mr_Bond said:

Even in 1970 it was difficult to get a grass lawn to look nice in Nashville.

I've noticed that in the area but haven't said anything.  When visiting my brother in M'boro (who lives in a nice neighborhood) there are very few nicely manicured lawns.  Must be the use of fescue there and I feel it's too far south for Kentucky Blue Grass.  Bermuda  grows as a weed here in Huntsville so all you have to do is weed control and little shade to have a nice Bermuda lawn.  Zoysia does well (which I sodded in at my old house) and Centipede also does well.  Sorry if my reply was boring to most.

Edited by L'burgnative
  • Like 3

I'll add one comment to this discussion.  In this graph, the "distressing gap" between existing home sales and new home sales is because of the tremendous overhang of "distressed" homes (foreclosures, short sales, underwater homes coming to market as prices rise, etc.) has kept sales of new homes lower than normal.  For contractors to earn a profit in a market where demand for homes is reduced, they have moved up-market.

So, since the Great Recession, we've seen fewer new homes built but those have been higher-end homes.  Without the housing bubble, builders would have recently been building more homes in the smaller category.  Yes, this graph shows national activity and real estate is always a local market, but the national trend affects the nationwide builders who have a presence in middle Tennessee and those who compete against them here.

1031647039_NewandExistingHomesSales-2018-06.thumb.jpg.bd6742d7ec0ae585b3cf2db315d4c52b.jpg

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, titanhog said:

I know a lot of cities have these huge ferris wheels...but I think something like this would be perfect in Nashville...probably right across the river between the river and Nissan Stadium.  Just seems like a no-brainer for such a tourist area.

singapore-flyer.jpg

My wife and I watched the bachelor tonight too lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, timmay143 said:

I know it is not necessarily designed for it now, but I was just thinking River North (or north east if you count the Trinity Lane project) could be a viable place for some entertainment venues (district perhaps?) such as a Ferris wheel, observation tower, go-karts, bowling, and arcade, especially since Topgolf is there.  Could also throw in a couple of amusement types rides, at least 1 coaster.  Then we could partially stop bemoaning the nostalgic Opryland USA loss.  Could even throw in some retailers like REI and create some outdoor rec areas (test the kayak in the Cumberland. climbing venue, park with outdoor climbing wall) similar to what is percolating here in Huntsville's MidCity development.

I always thought Fort Negley would be great for nashville’s “Coit Tower” like you see in San Francisco. 

The tower would have incredibly views, and could have educational info on the history of the site. 

• Like 1

Colliers International debuted a new index yesterday that aimes to be an easy way to assess thelocal real estate market.  This index had a level of 66 in mid-2001, and peaked at triple that level in mid-2017, and has tapered only slightly since then. 

The Colliers Index takes into account many variables, such as rent-rate escalation, building permits, vacancy rates (how much space is available for lease) and absorption (amount of square footage tenants moved into during a given time, minus the space tenants moved out of during that same window). The index also factors in more wide-ranging economic data, such as the kind of jobs announcements Nashville has witnessed in recent months.

The index reflects data from the broader metro area, including Williamson County. Colliers expects to publicly update the numbers twice a year. The firm spent a year developing and testing the formula that generates the index number.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/01/29/is-nashville-real-estate-peaking-this-new-gauge.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 8.39.38 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, CenterHill said:

Great article about Prince's!     With a Nashville history lesson thrown in.         

Except that the author glanced over hot fish as if Bolton's came up with it. 

https://www.tennessean.com/story/life/food/2015/09/29/carla-hall-rekindles-love-nashvilles-classic-hot-fish/32559879/

20 hours ago, titanhog said:

I know a lot of cities have these huge ferris wheels...but I think something like this would be perfect in Nashville...probably right across the river between the river and Nissan Stadium.  Just seems like a no-brainer for such a tourist area.

singapore-flyer.jpg

Needs more Polercoaster.

• Haha 3