Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

I am going to be extremely disappointed if my house doesn't have Google Fiber. I know there are maps that show the coverage, but from what I have read those are not correct. Some articles seem to lead me to believe they will just be in the urban core area. Does anybody know how much of Kansas City has fiber? I am guessing they would have a similar network here. 

Check out the map of construction in Austin to get an idea for how the process works. They will define areas by "fiberhoods" and then rely on individual sign-ups from within each to determine whether service will be installed.

As I understand it, you get a certain time period to indicate your interest (i.e. now) by registering on the website. Then, once they have completed the initial planning and infrastructure layout, they then open up each individual fiberhood for actual registration. Each fiberhood must receive a certain amount of registrations before the deadline for installation to occur.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, chris holman said:

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/article/20489227/construction-mishap-results-in-gulch-power-outage

This is one of the reasons why they probably cannot  just explode the JW Marriott

It's also the reason you should bring something like this down quickly along a stretch of road AND close down the nearest lanes.

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

It's also the reason you should bring something like this down quickly along a stretch of road AND close down the nearest lanes.

Someone's head(s) will roll on this one.  This morning when I first heard of it, soon after I rolled by on the bus this morning at 06:45, I thought that it was a worker who had gotten hurt ─ that is, until now.  If this motorist is the one whom I heard was "critically injured", then there will be some serious penalty and litigation to follow.  But for now, I'll just listen for the "lies" and embellishments to wash away, and learn the real story.

From what I can tell, this building was right up against the sidewalk...then there's a little 3' wall of orange and white dividers...and then an open lane of traffic.  So...you have guys demo'ing a building that is close enough to fall directly onto a lane of traffic, which is what happened.  Totally preventable.

While demo of any structure of "decent" elevation next to a lane of traffic (even with a closed sidewalk) poses a a calculated risk of collateral damage, such a risk almost certain would be greater with respect to masonry walls devoid of any integral reinforcement (such as rebar), particularly with the subject building of this vintage (in which the brick and glazed Terra-cotta tiles are not simply veneer).  Such walls nearly always become unstable when partially reduced to free-standing "erections" (for lack of better terminology).  Even though it was a somewhat different circumstance during demolition, that collapsing brick smokestack that recently nearly crushed the cab of an excavator and its operator in Alabama, would give credence to this.  The smoke stack was much taller and it's hollow cylindrical shape inherently was more resistant to being felled under normal ambient forces, but any structure of pure masonry courses, is bound to have many elements of weakening and volatility, inherently due to age and uneven expansion of brittle sand and earthen materials in assembly, further rendered unpredictable by repeated intentional lateral (shear and tortional) forces during gradual reduction by demolition.

This is one reason that I tend to question some of these trendy taller-than-normal parapet walls, in some cases as extensions to shear walls, being built in new construction in Germantown and other districts. (I do love masonry parapets though) -==-

• Like 1

What boggles my mind is that they intelligently planned the demolition facing 8th Ave. so that it would occur overnight with several lanes closed to traffic. Yet, they expected a chain link fence and a three foot tall plastic construction barrier to suffice in the middle of the afternoon along Demonbreun?

Hello?

• Like 2

Realtor.com/news/trends/the-hottest-u-s-markets-in-january-2016/

The hot list

San Francisco, CA

San Jose, CA

Dallas, TX

Vallejo, CA

San Diego, CA

Sacramento, CA

Nashville, TN

Stockton, CA

Denver, CO

Los Angeles, CA

Santa Rosa, CA

Oxnard, CA

Top 12 review 

CA: 9

Denver & Dallas, two large scale cities

Nashville

Edited by HGMIII
  • Like 4

If you're looking at appreciation... when an area goes from prices being set in the "no one wants to own here range" to the "people actually want to own" range, the price increase, on a percentage basis, can be pretty steep.

its just like north nashville over the last 3 years. 3 years ago you could get a basic, but move in ready house, 1100 feet or so, for  50-60k. Now that same house will go in the high 90s or low 100s (depending on exactly where it is in the neighborhood). Thats like 100% price growth, but over all, its not that much. 

1 hour ago, mundiejc said:

If you're looking at appreciation... when an area goes from prices being set in the "no one wants to own here range" to the "people actually want to own" range, the price increase, on a percentage basis, can be pretty steep.

its just like north nashville over the last 3 years. 3 years ago you could get a basic, but move in ready house, 1100 feet or so, for  50-60k. Now that same house will go in the high 90s or low 100s (depending on exactly where it is in the neighborhood). Thats like 100% price growth, but over all, its not that much. 

I can't imagine why people want to move to Stockton CA. It's been years since I've been there, so maybe something changed.

Edited by Philip

2 hours ago, mundiejc said:

real world example: I bought a lot in North Nash for 50 in '12 then sold it '15 for 175,000 that is 250% price growth and it is a nice overall chunk

I was in Stockton in 2010 and I have to say it was not a place I would want to live other than it is not too far from the ocean and not to far from the mountains. You can scratch the ocean part for me as I detest living near the water.

It seemed a bit depressed when I was there, although I was just passing through.

17 hours ago, UTgrad09 said:

8. Stockton. 

STOCKTON.

It's the San Francisco effect. Of those 9 CA cities in the top ten, five of them are in the greater Bay Area. It's hard to grasp just how expensive (and how rapidly) it is getting to live there. Sure, Stockton may be 1.5 hours to the peninsula, but you can do half of that on the train. You would be surprised how far people there are willing to commute. My coworker in San Jose lived in Sacramento! (Make that 6 of 9) And he did it everyday! For perspective, that's like comutting from Chatanooga to Nashville on freeways as congested as Atlanta. 

The Bay Area is an amazing place.  I probably would have lived there much longer had it been more affordable. But, for what I paid in rent there, I moved back home, bought a house 3 times the size, cut my commute by 2/3, bought a brand new car, and still came out ahead.  

I feel sorry for the people who have to endure those costs. 

Edited by nashvillwill
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nashville Cliff said:

Fort Wayne is actually kind of nice.

I mean its not my cup of tea as it is a very vanilla sort of place, but it does have its redeeming qualities, as does Detroit, but Im still stunned to see either if them on a list of 'hottest real estate' markets.

• Like 1

Just a little info about the company that appears to be on the brink of becoming Nashville's next Fortune 500 company. So what would that bring the total up to?

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2016/02/nearly-two-years-after-huge-buybrookdale-struggles.html

F500

HCA; CHA; DG; LPNT; TSCO;... yikes, I know I am missing one or two...  BKD (maybe?); 

And then there are the private companies that would rank in the F500 by revenues... Ingram; Asurion; 

And there are the American HQs... Nissan; Bridgestone; Delek; 

And the large divisions based in Nashville... Cat Financial; Caremark; ServiceSource; Deloitte; UBS; CaremarkRX; Sitel; Lochinvar; soon Warby Parker

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Just a little info about the company that appears to be on the brink of becoming Nashville's next Fortune 500 company. So what would that bring the total up to?

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2016/02/nearly-two-years-after-huge-buybrookdale-struggles.html

F500

HCA; CHA; DG; LPNT; TSCO;... yikes, I know I am missing one or two...  BKD (maybe?); 

And then there are the private companies that would rank in the F500 by revenues... Ingram; Asurion; 

And there are the American HQs... Nissan; Bridgestone; Delek; 

And the large divisions based in Nashville... Cat Financial; Caremark; ServiceSource; Deloitte; UBS; CaremarkRX; Sitel; Lochinvar; soon Warby Parker

You missed (arguably) CYH and GCO

• Like 1

The world's top site selection consultants will hold their biggest annual gathering in Nashville this month, providing local economic development officials with an opportunity to showcase the city.  40 of the members of the group specialize in helping companies locate new facilities plus more than 350 economic development professionals from around the world will be attending as well. The annual conference will be held at The Omni Hotel Feb. 24-26.  

It is conclaves like these and the recent NHL All Star Game Weekend that draw international movers and shakers that will see Nashville on full display and become even more enticed to consider it for relocations.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/02/10/site-selectors-conference-puts-spotlight-nashville/80091762/

• Like 3

4 hours ago, markhollin said:

The world's top site selection consultants will hold their biggest annual gathering in Nashville this month, providing local economic development officials with an opportunity to showcase the city.  40 of the members of the group specialize in helping companies locate new facilities plus more than 350 economic development professionals from around the world will be attending as well. The annual conference will be held at The Omni Hotel Feb. 24-26.  

It is conclaves like these and the recent NHL All Star Game Weekend that draw international movers and shakers that will see Nashville on full display and become even more enticed to consider it for relocations.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/02/10/site-selectors-conference-puts-spotlight-nashville/80091762/

It's things like this that can stave off a major building slump in town. Just a couple of major relocations is all we really need to have a huge impact.

• Like 2