The SoBro | 32 stories 345 ft | 3rd & Demonbreun

smeagolsfree

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I thought the same thing driving by last night. Between the diner-in-limbo and the Listening Room, it feels like a very small footprint for this one. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how it's going to look. I guess we will see as it starts to rise.

^Here you go. 

Looking straight down at the SoBro from the site plan, you can see how the tower portion fits in between the diner and the listing room, and the parking garage structure behind it. 

NewImage6_zps4f374465.jpg

Here you can see the diner on the lower right. 

sobro.png

In this rendering, you can see the listening room to the lower left. The large white block behind that is the SoBro's parking garage, and obviously the big gray box is the Encore. 

5sobroapartments.jpg

This rendering would be the view from the Encore. 

post-1071-0-37281600-1406059392.jpg

Edited by mirydi
  • Like 2

^^^ thanks, I had seen those renderings before but that does help clarify how it addresses the surrounding structures. I guess, more specifically, I'm curious as to how it's going to go up with the crane in the center of the site as it is. Will they build the tower first then move the crane for the garage (or vice versa), or build the structure around the crane? 

The crane will permanently be inside the building. They will build the garage around the crane and the crane base and part of the crane will remain inside. They will simply remove the top.

Many downtown buildings still have the crane inside. There a lots where you simply don't have room to have the crane on the perimeter of the building.

The crane will permanently be inside the building. They will build the garage around the crane and the crane base and part of the crane will remain inside. They will simply remove the top.

Many downtown buildings still have the crane inside. There a lots where you simply don't have room to have the crane on the perimeter of the building.

ah, very interesting. I had no idea. Well that clears that up.

• Like 1

Like I said, the crane will be left inside the building. Many towers in NYC due to lack of space, keep the cranes inside the building.

Do you have a citation for this? I have never heard of this happening. Cranes are incredibly expensive, which means there is incentive to remove them--which is exactly what happens. They are using an internal climbing system, which means the lower sections of the crane mast will be removed as the building grows, and the crane base will move up with it. All sections of the crane are removed when the building is complete.

You can see this in the structural drawings for the SoBro. They are not leaving a shaft or crane mast sections in what would be directly in the middle of the parking garage areas.

• Like 2

Here's a video of a more advanced self-climbing system: 

Most internal climbing cranes are jacked up with external equipment. When the crane moves up the actual structure of the building will carry the load of the crane and its payload.

climb.jpg

Edited by SoundScan
  • Like 3

Like I said, the crane will be left inside the building. Many towers in NYC due to lack of space, keep the cranes inside the building.

That's not correct.The internal crane, or the crane that's climbing on top of the building usually starts in the elevator mechanical space. It grows itself similar to a side fixed crane, just with fewer segments since it only needs to clear 150' or so feet at a time. The construction workers re-secure the base once the tower crane is raised with the completion of floors. The tower crane will bring up a smaller crane to the roof which will lower segments of the tower crane back to the surface. The mechanical crane that's on the roof for general maintenance and window washing will lower the smaller crane to the ground. 

Edited by arkitekte
  • Like 3

Do you have a citation for this? I have never heard of this happening. Cranes are incredibly expensive, which means there is incentive to remove them--which is exactly what happens. They are using an internal climbing system, which means the lower sections of the crane mast will be removed as the building grows, and the crane base will move up with it. All sections of the crane are removed when the building is complete.

You can see this in the structural drawings for the SoBro. They are not leaving a shaft or crane mast sections in what would be directly in the middle of the parking garage areas.

Here's a video of a more advanced self-climbing system: 

Most internal climbing cranes are jacked up with external equipment. When the crane moves up the actual structure of the building will carry the load of the crane and its payload.

climb.jpg

Thanks for the clarification. Obviously the person that told me that was incorrect.