Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

21 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Doesn't seem like that corner gets enough sunlight for real grass. 

Given the location, I think some nice pavers would be more fitting.  :thumbsup:

And replace that Gawd awful mural, FPS!!! :sick: 

That "mural" is probably one of the worst attempts at street art / mural i have ever seen. 

On 11/9/2023 at 10:43 PM, JFW657 said:

Screenshot-20231109-223926-2.jpg 

teal? is it 1988 again?

On 12/2/2023 at 7:02 PM, orlandouprise said:

teal? is it 1988 again?

I guess what's old is new again if you wait long enough 😄

Curious what you think of the Waverly's color palette? IMO the old art deco pastels adds a bit of uniqueness to an otherwise uniform/corporate landscape. I can stomach it if tastefully done right. The rendering could use a little reworking.

11 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Curious what you think of the Waverly's color palette? IMO the old art deco pastels adds a bit of uniqueness to an otherwise uniform/corporate landscape. I can stomach it if tastefully done right. The rendering could use a little reworking.

I actually dont mind the waverly's color palette because like you said the art deco lends itself to a more fun color palette. This on the other hand IMO looks dated and out of place.  

On 12/4/2023 at 9:20 PM, nite owℓ said:

you bring up a good point...55W already ditched the Med Revival color palette probably because of CSP I...   What might Waverly do...especially if that proposed building behind it gets built with more of that white/grey palette...?

Kia Center isn't bad. Forgettable but not bad. Could've been much worse. IMHO it's an upgrade over Amway. 

The name is good but I was pleased to see the announcement also included adding more car chargers. 

FWIW, I was car shopping recently and had a surprising number of friends say they were happy with their Kias. I ended up deciding to wait until there's more hybrids or a better charging network. 

30 minutes ago, klstorey said:

FWIW, I was car shopping recently and had a surprising number of friends say they were happy with their Kias. I ended up deciding to wait until there's more hybrids or a better charging network. 

I've been thinking that if I get a new vehicle, it would be a Kia Soul.

But so far my present car seems to be holding up.

Plus, I barely drive it. 

I'm also thinking about going for some kind of very small, basic transport electric vehicle. 

Like a two passenger thing. 

Grocery store and back.

Hoping the prices come way down soon.  

The auto market is changing so quickly in the next 5 years if you can hold out, do it.  I would still have my 2009 if someone didn't decide to crash into it.   I purposely leased because the current crop of cars is going to be super obsolete soon.  As far as Kia or Hyundai, I'd hold off on anything Kia until they resolver the Kia Bois problem.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, codypet said:

The auto market is changing so quickly in the next 5 years if you can hold out, do it.  I would still have my 2009 if someone didn't decide to crash into it.   I purposely leased because the current crop of cars is going to be super obsolete soon. 

Yep. Pretty much what I was thinking. Hold off and see what transpires. I barely use my car so it would make no sense to pay through the nose for a new one, especially given my age.  But I'd really like one of those little 3-wheel electric jobs. 

3 hours ago, codypet said:

As far as Kia or Hyundai, I'd hold off on anything Kia until they resolver the Kia Bois problem.

I've heard about the theft issue, but I had heard they'd fixed the ignition issue that makes them easy to steal.

I don't know too much about a theft ring.

Things are just too damned crazy these days.  

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

coming on my annual trip to the Sunshine state what is the must see high rise project underway in the City Beautiful?  

please tell me that I-4 coming from Tampa into Orlando is all done?  

Nothing. Go to St. Pete instead. A couple of big projects under construction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don’t skip some of the other developments fueling Tampa’s renewal such as Midtown Tampa, Amature Works, Ybor infill and the various projects popping up around Westshore. 

Sadly, there is nothing worthwhile to share about Orlando if you’ve already been here within the last 1-2 years.

Edited by Ivanhoe

On 12/31/2023 at 10:13 PM, dcluley98 said:

There aren't any. Tallest is Sociey, but it isn't must-see. A bland ugly grey rectangle mass. 

They are getting skewered on the internet for the co-living concept coupled with $1400+/month rates.

4 hours ago, codypet said:

They are getting skewered on the internet for the co-living concept coupled with $1400+/month rates.

Link? I like to see people's feedback.

The co-living units are pretty much fully furnished apartments, minus personal toiletries, so that may account for the higher rates (along with building amenities, daily community events, fitness classes and 24/7 concierge - no direct mention of security guards though).

Plus commercial insurance premiums are also seeing significant hikes (just like auto and homeowners insurance), all of which will be passed on to the consumer.

From their brochure:

Screenshot_20240102_124900_Firefox.thumb.jpg.a2382215e6e0913e20974c32d6b89a14.jpg

Screenshot_20240102_123230_Firefox.thumb.jpg.7992fe4c465aba4530f7835922ea4c4c.jpg

Edited by nite owℓ