Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

This is just the preliminary concept drawings, not up for ARB yet.  I will personally hold off on judging it until I see a more advanced color rendering.  I think it could look really cool depending on the glazing treatments and how it matches the feel of adjacent DPAC.  I like a little more flow in buildings personally, but as Prahaboheme has said, some stark modernism could look good juxtaposed against the DPAC if it is done right.

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

This is just the preliminary concept drawings, not up for ARB yet.  I will personally hold off on judging it until I see a more advanced color rendering.  I think it could look really cool depending on the glazing treatments and how it matches the feel of adjacent DPAC.  I like a little more flow in buildings personally, but as Prahaboheme has said, some stark modernism could look good juxtaposed against the DPAC if it is done right.

To me it looks like it might be aluminum cladding. Something we haven't really seen in Orlando, which can result in many different looks. 

SauerbruchHutton02.jpg&height=295&q=100   71666-6804381.jpg

I don't mind the look of this, actually quite like what I envision it would do to that space. But do we really think a hotel has any hope of actually going up in that area, especially if we are to believe the hype that Tremont is actually going to happen?

1 hour ago, GTR said:

I don't mind the look of this, actually quite like what I envision it would do to that space. But do we really think a hotel has any hope of actually going up in that area, especially if we are to believe the hype that Tremont is actually going to happen?

Put another way, if Tremont gets started soon, will you grant that a small hotel that already has a name has a good chance of going up in a plum location ?

12 minutes ago, Dale said:

Put another way, if Tremont gets started soon, will you grant that a small hotel that already has a name has a good chance of going up in a plum location ?

Didn't work out for the hotel that was supposed to be built in front of the DPAC that already had a flag lined up.

I think it's a good project, but I'll have to see more of it before I decide to like it. Perhaps the best thing it'll do (besides the added density and height - I'm not going to praise the design just yet) is resolve that segment of the southern side of Anderson with an awkward short wall and no sidewalk. If it goes through, we'll have to say goodbye to another of the few remaining 90-100 year old houses in Downtown proper. Which is more of a plus than a negative, as this house would look even more awkward next to a future CNL III, awkward enough as it is across the street from DPAC.

Maybe someone takes a fancy to it and relocates the house to Lake Eola Heights or something.

Building to be demo'd.JPG

1 hour ago, metal93 said:

I think it's a good project, but I'll have to see more of it before I decide to like it. Perhaps the best thing it'll do (besides the added density and height - I'm not going to praise the design just yet) is resolve that segment of the southern side of Anderson with an awkward short wall and no sidewalk. If it goes through, we'll have to say goodbye to another of the few remaining 90-100 year old houses in Downtown proper. Which is more of a plus than a negative, as this house would look even more awkward next to a future CNL III, awkward enough as it is across the street from DPAC.

Maybe someone takes a fancy to it and relocates the house to Lake Eola Heights or something.

Building to be demo'd.JPG

I was going to post a Google maps screenshot of that house too, and ask if that was the "weird 2 story building" a previous poster was referring to, and if so, what was so weird about it? 

I think it's a lovely old structure and like you, hope someone will find it economically feasible to relocate. I truly hate seeing these old buildings destroyed even if it is to make room for something that would enhance the skyline a bit.

This is not a city government that has shown a willingness to save or relocate historic buildings. We've lost buildings with much greater architectural merit in the last decade despite attempts to save them.

And if there is truth to the statement that the mayor plans to keep the plaza as open space, I find the demolition of the Round building all the more frustrating.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dale said:

Hope you're not too disappointed when Tremont goes ahead. ;)

Just because I am skeptical that it will happen given the timing and the fact they are resorting to charging below market rates to fill it up does not mean I don't want it to go up. I hope it does, just not holding my breath. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I was going to post a Google maps screenshot of that house too, and ask if that was the "weird 2 story building" a previous poster was referring to, and if so, what was so weird about it? 

I think it's a lovely old structure and like you, hope someone will find it economically feasible to relocate. I truly hate seeing these old buildings destroyed even if it is to make room for something that would enhance the skyline a bit.

I never looked at it from that angle and realized it was a house that faces Magnolia, ha!  From Orange/Anderson, it does look pretty weird in my opinion.

15 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

I never looked at it from that angle and realized it was a house that faces Magnolia, ha!  From Orange/Anderson, it does look pretty weird in my opinion.

I suppose when viewed from that angle, one could describe it's appearance as a bit on the weird looking side...

weirdbldg.jpg

Honestly, in all the years I've lived in and around downtown, and the countless number of times I've walked, bicycled and driven right past it, I never even noticed it prior to it being mentioned in this thread.

1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

Maybe they can put that concrete lattice work on it and make this new building into the best building ever.

LOL!

You genuinely hate the brise soleil, don't you? :D

• Like 1