Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 10:08 PM, Dale said:

Well, at least it's grass. We had to look at hoarding for thirty years. Ridiculous.

I ran past it Monday morning and the weeds are getting over two feet tall, given its prominence downtown I shouldn't have to, but I guess I'll call code enforcement for a grass cut.

Edited by FLheat

I checked on-line and the revised plans for Modera have been submitted and the review deadline is 6/8.  I can't find a separate application for a foundation permit for this one.  For 520 E. Church, the revised plans have been submitted and the due date for the review is 7/8.  520 does already have a foundation permit though (paid for).  Tremont did submit for a foundation permit and it looks like it was approved in December but it was not paid for.  I see no evidence of actual building plans being submitted for Tremont.  My guess is that 520 will be the next project to start, followed by Modera.  Not really sure what the Tremont situation is though.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gibby said:

I checked on-line and the revised plans for Modera have been submitted and the review deadline is 6/8.  I can't find a separate application for a foundation permit for this one.  For 520 E. Church, the revised plans have been submitted and the due date for the review is 7/8.  520 does already have a foundation permit though (paid for).  Tremont did submit for a foundation permit and it looks like it was approved in December but it was not paid for.  I see no evidence of actual building plans being submitted for Tremont.  My guess is that 520 will be the next project to start, followed by Modera.  Not really sure what the Tremont situation is though.

Well, this being Orlando and judging by past experience, it'll probably play out like this... 520 will get built as planned. Modera will get several floors chopped off the top so that it ends up looking like an ugly stump and Tremont will fade away and by this time next year be forgotten about.

Just a suggestion, now that we have "Football" stadium, MLS stadium and basketball stadium, with the construction of USTA training center, perhaps next order of business for Dyer would be a Tennis stadium with US Open tournaments....just a thought....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sunshine said:

Just a suggestion, now that we have "Football" stadium, MLS stadium and basketball stadium, with the construction of USTA training center, perhaps next order of business for Dyer would be a Tennis stadium with US Open tournaments....just a thought....

ha, now you speaking my language. With the presence of the USTA HQ in orlando, there's a better chance to bring in a professional tournament played in the Spring. I doubt that a US Open series tournament is likely due to the summer heat.

16 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Tremont was always shaky.   Most of their leased space was to people involved with the project.   Fairwinds was a big name and the hotel helps but not enough.  

Could still happen though.  

Yes it was always incredibly shaky, as is anything right now proposed for downtown other than midrise apartments.

They should pull a Dynetech and add an apartment component that could use the hotel amenities. Might be a better bet than commercial real estate.  

3 hours ago, Dale said:

Orlando and Tampa: two metros enjoying crazy growth, but which have very little traction in terms of downtown highrises.

I've always been surprised by downtown Tampa's lack of residential vertical growth. With the water views seems like you would be able to justify the prices of highrise apartments/condos better. Maybe not the most stellar water views, but a damn good bit better than any downtown Orlando view. Not that there aren't major issues with downtown Tampa that are apparent immediately once you get there, but how many Russian/Latin American condo purchasers would know that from a website.

Anywho, back on topic, I am beyond stoked for the Walgreens! 

Edited by GTR
  • Like 1

Some years ago, I opined on this forum about how unfortunate it is that Orlando lacks a great waterfront. I was roundly disagreed with. I still think that the truly beautiful and interesting downtowns of American sit adjacent to or astride a river or waterway.

Jacksonville is another city that, with its surrounding natural beauty and prime waterfront, one would think would have seen a lot more residential high rise construction. 

But like Tampa, not only do they not, but their downtowns are boring and dead.

• Like 2