Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

First Green Bank does all that cool stuff but that doesnt mean a cool looking building.   Their buildings in Lake County are new and nice and their Winter Park one feels LEED when walking in...but drive by the building near Orlando Health and it's an eyesore that they inherited.

BishopBeale has done a lot of ground level work to that tower.   New facade on Orange a mural facing south that looks like it came out of Mills50 and new bike racks.

On 7/14/2016 at 9:35 AM, JFW657 said:

In the linked article, somebody referred to the building as an "architectural gem".

Whaaaaa.......?????? :huh:

Well, "architectural gem" is relative...a markedly different statement than "architectural masterpiece".  

To be fair, this building is quite representative of the International Style a la Mies van der Rohe (see AMA Plaza in Chicago, the Seagram Building in New York, or at a more comparable scale, Lafayette Towers in Detroit).

We all know that as a young city, Orlando lacks much variety in architectural style.  When an average building is the sole representation of a particular historical style/period, I could see an argument for "architectural gem", although I'd probably go for "architecturally significant" instead.  

For the record: I will never justify nor forgive the inverted-phallic paint/window-tint job the building received in the early 2000s or whenever it was that happened. 

• Like 1

I really like the modern facade design on that.  The two detached garages are ridiculous, though.  Shouldn't let them do that, just put the end unit garages in the building like the rest of them and keep that space in the corner for trees/landscaping.

That whole Pine/Church street area is going to be nice once all this stuff gets built out!

Edited by dcluley98

21 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

I really like the modern facade design on that.  The two detached garages are ridiculous, though.  Shouldn't let them do that, just put the end unit garages in the building like the rest of them and keep that space in the corner for trees/landscaping.

That whole Pine/Church street area is going to be nice once all this stuff gets built out!

I like the exterior, and the floor plan of the end units, If I lived in an interior unit I don't think I'd like to have my company enter a hallway next to a bedroom and have to go directly upstairs.  Most floor plans like this have direct access to the second floor living area.by exterior steps or elevation grade. I do like clearing out architecturally insignificant single family homes converted to professional office buildings downtown; however.

22 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Yeah I love the design but the detached garages for the two end units (i.e., the most desirable units) is a very stupid move.  You get to pay more to walk to your car uncovered.

14 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I wonder what the view will be like from those rooftop terraces...

I bet it will be pretty good.  You can get a view of lake Eola park between South Eola and Thorton Park Central.  I guess it depends on how tall this is compared to South Eola.  If the deck on the new building is higher than South Eola, then it would be great but it doesn't look like it would clear that.  I guess it is better than shabby duplexes next to lake Olive though, lol.

21 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

I bet it will be pretty good.  You can get a view of lake Eola park between South Eola and Thorton Park Central.  I guess it depends on how tall this is compared to South Eola.  If the deck on the new building is higher than South Eola, then it would be great but it doesn't look like it would clear that.  I guess it is better than shabby duplexes next to lake Olive though, lol.

Aren't the condos on the corner of Eola and Central taller? I want to say they are 4 stories so probably not much of a view.

1 hour ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Aren't the condos on the corner of Eola and Central taller? I want to say they are 4 stories so probably not much of a view.

Yes, that is South Eola I was referring to.  They are 4 stories, but the ground floor is a bit under grade, which is a bit odd for Florida.

South Eola.jpg

It depends on the starting elevation of the site and the height of the floors whether the roof deck will be tall enough to see over the other building. I doubt it would clear it, however, so you are stuck with a window of lake eola park between the two slightly taller condos to the west and north.  Given the geometry, the end unit furthest east would have the best views.

Edited by dcluley98

On July 14, 2016 at 3:03 PM, Jernigan said:

First Green Bank does all that cool stuff but that doesnt mean a cool looking building.   Their buildings in Lake County are new and nice and their Winter Park one feels LEED when walking in...but drive by the building near Orlando Health and it's an eyesore that they inherited.

BishopBeale has done a lot of ground level work to that tower.   New facade on Orange a mural facing south that looks like it came out of Mills50 and new bike racks.

A comment on FGBs Facebook page resonated with me - they will be one of the only major banks with a drive through downtown.   Not a very "Green" message.

I like the townhomes, but a project of 16,000 sq ft (not counting garages) this close to downtown should have more than six units. Realistically, this same building could house 16- to 20-unit condos or apartments. That said, still a good addition to the area.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alex said:

I like the townhomes, but a project of 16,000 sq ft (not counting garages) this close to downtown should have more than six units. Realistically, this same building could house 16- to 20-unit condos or apartments. That said, still a good addition to the area.

I hear that, but they were already worried that there was too much height in the project already. Which is a shame really, as that whole corridor will continue to trend upwards.

I wonder how these will be priced.  Those three lots next to each out did not come cheap.  To have to share that cost only among 6 townhouses is a big burden.  I imagine these will be priced even higher than the Brownstones that aren't selling.

Edited by GTR

35 minutes ago, UngaBungalow said:

I hear that, but they were already worried that there was too much height in the project already. Which is a shame really, as that whole corridor will continue to trend upwards.

True, and it's a good transition from South Eola into Thornton Park. But I was thinking more along the lines of keeping the same building size (three stories) and dividing it up better for more density. Instead of 6 units x 2,600 sq ft, why not have 16 units x 1,000 sq ft? Depending on pricing, a developer could potentially make more money: 6 units @ $600,000 < 16 units @ $240,000. 

But I'm not a developer, so I'm sure they have their reasons for doing what they do. The proposed units at 2,500-3,000 sq ft just seem really suburban/inefficient for this lot.

• Like 1