Omni Hotel/Convention Center hotel/24 stories/800 rooms/complete

MTSUBlueraider86

the story we were told in the ut band back in 2000 was that in the mid to late 90s tennessee and texas sued each other over the logos.  

Football being the most visible sport, the settlement basically only applies to it. but texas was awarded the interlocking ut while tennessee was awarded the block T or power T.  at the same time Texas really started using the longhorn logo much more and tennessee was using the power t more anyway.

but the texas coach continued to wear a block t and the tennessee baseball team continued to wear teh interlocking ut.  also, the ut band continued to make the ut in pregame and at the end of half time.  

all that being said, I have a friend who used to sell licensed products and he told me that he could print any logo UT had ever used under his license but most people just wanted the most current. 

I guess I just love it because it has the UT on it...even if it is for the wrong school

Thought I would post this though..no clue if the article is true. However, the topic has been brought up a few times on a UT message board.

United Press International

February 14, 1986, Friday, BC cycle

The University of Texas has reached a settlement with the University of Tennessee over the use of the ''UT'' trademark on such items as T-shirts, beer mugs, key chains and customized toilet seats.

Texas said a possible court dispute loomed because Tennessee had applied to the federal government for the right to use the trademark on a number of items not covered under Texas' trademark rights.

Under the agreement between the two schools, Tennessee gets to use the trademark east of the Mississippi River and in Louisiana's West Baton Rouge Parish, home of Southeastern Conference member Louisiana State University.

Texas will own the trademark everywhere else west of the Mississippi.

In addition, the agreement gives the Longhorns and Volunteers limited rights to use the popular interlocking UT logo design in each other's territory during bowl games or other special events.

A staff recommendations to the Texas Board of Regents said the solution was not ideal, but ''it does avoid a costly and protracted administrative and court proceeding.''

I'd like to see something more subtle, but I think it would be great to see the city really lit up with complex, moving lighting  on buildings.  Just with a bit more imagination. 

I like our Omni much better than the Dallas one, which looks like a blank wall at the street level and seems to have a lawn in front of it.  From what I glimpsed from the MCC, the Omni is going to have a really nice rooftop garden over the lower part, too.

130117173320-banknote-building-lithuania

• Like 1

I like our Omni much better than the Dallas one, which looks like a blank wall at the street level and seems to have a lawn in front of it.  From what I glimpsed from the MCC, the Omni is going to have a really nice rooftop garden over the lower part, too.

The Nashville Civic Design Center website has a slide show of pics from their recent tour of the Nashville Omni construction, mostly interiors.   It's impressive.

• 3 weeks later...

So almost every time I have driven by the hotel they have had a different color on the lights. That being said, almost every time there has been something wrong with them also. Either multiple strands are out, or like tonight one strand kept blinking another color. The lights are starting to grow on me, and I really like the red that it had tonight but it was hard to truly appreciate since one kept blinking blue. I hope this is something they fix.

I like it! The Cira Center in downtown Philadelphia has a cool lighting scheme that allows them to put up low-resolution logos and colors throughout the year (like a big V when Villanova won the football championship, a Phillies P when they're playing, stuff like that).  When done right, it can be a very cool addition to a growing skyline.