MLS in Charlotte - 2021

tozmervo

On 2/5/2020 at 5:01 PM, CLT> said:

What does it take for a Mod to  take  the '?' off of this thread title?

:tw_glasses:

They should just move this thread from the coffee house to the main CLT forum.

16 hours ago, Urban Cowboy said:

Team Names:

Charlotte Banker Bros

Charlotte Gotalotters

Charlotte the South End is Near-ers

Charlotte Basics

First Ward Not United

Charlotte Rent Hikers

Charlotte Parking Decks

Charlotte Cranes

Charlotte Construction Cones

EIFS City

Charlotte Agenda

You know I was gonna ask what people thought the new team should be named (A topic that's been discussed ad nauseum I know I know). But I think you covered it pretty well lol

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

Lol, Nashville is unraveling . Maybe Oracle, MSoft, and Amazon will come here instead.

They're not unraveling, they just have a dysfunctional mayor at the moment.   Nashville is on a roll right now and even their crazy mayor cant slow it down that much, I'm sure they work things out and I hope they do.  They would be a great rival for Charlotte's soccer team. 

Edited by jtmonk
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

Nashville’s growth just seems forced, IMO. It’s like they realized other southern cities were booming and decided they wanted to fit in. There isn’t any actual considerable growth. 

Population statistics don’t back up that assertion. It’s most definitely growing and fast. The MSA is growing at roughly the same pace as Charlotte which is among the nation’s fastest. 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2020 at 7:34 AM, Urban Cowboy said:

Team Names:

Charlotte Banker Bros

Charlotte Gotalotters

Charlotte the South End is Near-ers

Charlotte Basics

First Ward Not United

Charlotte Rent Hikers

Charlotte Parking Decks

Charlotte Cranes

Charlotte Construction Cones

EIFS City

Charlotte Agenda

Charlotte Queens, please!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TheOneRJ said:

Nashville’s growth just seems forced, IMO. It’s like they realized other southern cities were booming and decided they wanted to fit in. There isn’t any actual considerable growth. 

This is inaccurate and not supported by any credible source.  And, I visit frequently and can tell you that Nashville is literally booming (so much so that many residents are complaining about the pace of growth).  As much as Charlotte changed in the last decade, Nashville (to me) feels like it has changed more.  I will add (anecdotally) that I know ~20 people who have relocated there from San Diego in the past 24 months.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

I also don’t agree with this notion.  Nashville is growing very fast and most certainly rivaling Charlotte in %growth and vastness with physical development.  While they’ve (Nashville) made short sighted decisions (like voting Transit Tax Down) they’re somewhat ahead of Charlotte in the Name Recognition dept. because of all their Pro Sports Teams, Country Music and Bachelorette HQ.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I also don’t agree with this notion.  Nashville is growing very fast and most certainly rivaling Charlotte in %growth and vastness with physical development.  While they’ve (Nashville) made short sighted decisions (like voting Transit Tax Down) they’re somewhat ahead of Charlotte in the Name Recognition dept. because of all their Pro Sports Teams, Country Music and Bachelorette HQ.

Nashville had a show named after it that ran for 4 years on ABC. That kind of exposure greatly increased its reputation as the country music capital and is invaluable in branding / recognition and very few mid-size cities are the main setting for a TV show. TV made Orange County (with the show "The OC") more well known than many mid-size cities and Pawnee, Indiana isn't even a real place but would be more recognized than real cities.  The momentum of "Nashville" could continue if the Broadway musical being developed takes off. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brittanyhodak/2015/10/28/the-real-life-impact-of-abcs-nashville/#85f16ff1e2d1

"A tourism study last year found nearly 1 in 5 Nashville visitors who were viewers of the show cited the show as a motivating factor in their decision to vacation in Music City. Viewers also reportedly stayed longer and spent 23% more money while in town. With several Nashville-themed tours and activity guides - including a four-day, three-night tour package dreamed up by ABC’s parent company Disney - it’s not difficult for TV fans to immerse themselves in the world of Rayna Jaymes, Deacon Claybourne and Juliette Barnes."

• Like 1

This could really land in any one of a few threads, but since this one is the first I came across, I'll put it here.  New article in Bizjournal with Tepper interview on stadium future.  Nothing really new here, except that I was not aware that he offered to give the stadium to the city when he took over.  You can read this if you have or create a free account:

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/02/12/panthers-owner-david-tepper-weighs-in-on-prospect.html?iana=hpmvp_clt_news_headline

http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-cities/charlotte-population/

One can go to this site and check Charlotte population pyramid by age (scroll down the page) and then bring forward Nashville. To my eye, Nashville competes, if that is the word, with Charlotte in the 25 and 30 year old group but no others. Charlotte has a more conventional "pyramid" while Nashville is outsized in two of the scales but well less than Charlotte in the others including those 20 y. o. and under. I cannot vouch for this data presentation.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 10:08 PM, Hushpuppy321 said:

On 2/11/2020 at 3:28 PM, deleted said:

This is inaccurate and not supported by any credible source.  And, I visit frequently and can tell you that Nashville is literally booming (so much so that many residents are complaining about the pace of growth).  As much as Charlotte changed in the last decade, Nashville (to me) feels like it has changed more.  I will add (anecdotally) that I know ~20 people who have relocated there from San Diego in the past 24 months.

On 2/11/2020 at 2:42 PM, Crucial_Infra said:

Population statistics don’t back up that assertion. It’s most definitely growing and fast. The MSA is growing at roughly the same pace as Charlotte which is among the nation’s fastest. 

All of that “growth” and nothing significant to show for it. Present day Nashville is still smaller than pre-2010 Charlotte. The fact that Charlotte is still outpacing in growth and probably everything else except higher education an entire decade later is more than telling. Nashville is nothing more than a tourist destination. 

Edited by TheOneRJ

5 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

All of that “growth” and nothing significant to show for it. Present day Nashville is still smaller than pre-2010 Charlotte. The fact that Charlotte is still outpacing in growth and probably everything else except higher education an entire decade later is more than telling. Nashville is nothing more than a tourist destination. 

But they do have Major League Sports and tremendous name recognition.  I think Charlotte will always struggle with name recognition.  Nashville Benefits too from being the State Capital as well as being the only Large ‘hot’ City in the State whereas CLT Metro battles constantly against its surburban competitor, the Triangle area.

Edited by Hushpuppy321
  • Like 2

But they do have Major League Sports and tremendous name recognition.  I think Charlotte will always struggle with name recognition.  Nashville Benefits too from being the State Capital as well as being the only Large ‘hot’ City in the State whereas CLT Metro battles constantly against its surburban competitor, the Triangle area.

I believe Charlotte will have to continue to force its way into the spotlight and achieve that name recognition. It already punches above its weight class in so many ways. Hosting more and more national events, becoming home to more and larger companies, and cultivating itself as a tourist destination are all key ideas I believe work in Charlotte’s favor. Give people no choice but to know and love Charlotte! *cough* *cough* I think our MLS team can help with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, thenewkage95 said:

I believe Charlotte will have to continue to force its way into the spotlight and achieve that name recognition. It already punches above its weight class in so many ways. Hosting more and more national events, becoming home to more and larger companies, and cultivating itself as a tourist destination are all key ideas I believe work in Charlotte’s favor. Give people no choice but to know and love Charlotte! *cough* *cough* I think our MLS team can help with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very true - I second this notion!  Also - If Nashville loses its MLS Team that’ll be a devastating blow similar in size psychologically to their failed Transit Referendum (Although Transit is more longterm hurt than Major League Sports).