Another bar/restaurant bites the dust

3 hours ago, nonillogical said:

Supposedly they are just closing for "at least a month", so maybe a slim hope that they will figure something out. The removal of the salsa bar single-handedly removed it from my lunch rotation, so I wonder how many others were like me. I always got quesadillas there, and those were still just as good the last time I went. I think they got a decent amount of spillover crowd from Common Market in the evenings though and couldn't survive just on lunch rush alone anyway.

Who owns the building? It seems like redeveloping that sliver of buildings with no parking is unlikely so if they don't bounce back in some way hopefully another local restaurant can take the space. 

Agree about the salsa bar...at least replace it w/ bottles of hot sauce at the tables. I heard their rent has tripled since they opened in the late 90s and they numbers just didn't add up any more.

18 minutes ago, mad_park said:

Agree about the salsa bar...at least replace it w/ bottles of hot sauce at the tables. I heard their rent has tripled since they opened in the late 90s and they numbers just didn't add up any more.

I don't even know if the rent tripling since the 90s is even that bad - I'd say it seems fair given the population in the area. 

Would love to see Sabor open up in that space and immediately kill it like they did in the parking limited location in Elizabeth where Phat went to zero. 

• Like 2

The Phat Burrito location was for many years a greek owned and operated morning and lunch joint named The New Big Village restaurant. It had a Greek in the kitchen and I assumed the odd name was a translation transcription error. There were some regulars who met there in the morning in the 70's and early 80's and called their group "The New Biggers". There was a persistent fragrance of oil and grease in the place as the space was too small and the ventilation inadequate. There was no air conditioning. indeed Phat Burrito only added AC a few years ago.

I had a French house guest some years ago and he had studied the US well from afar. At Phat Burrito as we walked out he said "This is a 'road house'". I thought that it was a perfect description.

I agree with the loss of quality and the staff turnover.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, wilmore said:

I don't even know if the rent tripling since the 90s is even that bad - I'd say it seems fair given the population in the area. 

Would love to see Sabor open up in that space and immediately kill it like they did in the parking limited location in Elizabeth where Phat went to zero. 

Until this I had totally forgotten that Sabor's Elizabeth location actually started life as a second Phat Burrito location

1 hour ago, southslider said:

If the building goes, the Art League likely is gone with it. Redevelopment would need more than just the small Phat Burrito corner.

Maybe this is naive optimism on my part, but it doesn't seem like this row of buildings is all that likely for demolition since there is no room to realistically build dedicated parking with a new building. It does seem ripe for a renovation though, including the old Post space next door. 

On 2/2/2017 at 9:42 AM, Spartan said:

I'm not inclined to believe conspiracy theories on this one. The owner said their business had dropped since the construction started. I agree that their food has been increasingly inconsistent, and generally not as good as it was 8-10 years ago. That said, it was still excellent, even on their off days.

I don't doubt business has dropped since construction started, but I know I'd go out of my way for a good meal, this indicates more than anything that a lot of their regular crowd was eating there out of convenience rather than because they were in love with the place.

On 2/2/2017 at 10:49 AM, lewy2000 said:

It ALWAYS comes down to quality of food. Speaking of awkward locations, Futo Bata has been consistently packed lately.

This draws on my point, I'm not a big fan of Futo Bata but my Hmong girlfriend cannot get enough, and we went right at opening one day with a small crowd waiting outside. They don't even front an actual street, they rely on word of mouth, foot traffic, and the fact that Bland Street Station literally empties into their front door.

3 hours ago, nakers2 said:

This draws on my point, I'm not a big fan of Futo Bata but my Hmong girlfriend cannot get enough, and we went right at opening one day with a small crowd waiting outside. They don't even front an actual street, they rely on word of mouth, foot traffic, and the fact that Bland Street Station literally empties into their front door.

I honestly think Futo Buta is one of our true culinary gems of the whole city, never had anything that wasn't stellar there. Even though trendy ramen restaurants are popping up all over, we have multiple friends in other cities that demand we go there each time they visit. So yeah their location is not a problem with that kind of reputation. More case in point: Bakersfield and Kid Cashew...formerly "cursed" locations (although only Bakersfield's former tenants had the parking excuse) that are now thriving because there is a solidly positive consensus on the food and experience. 

5 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

I honestly think Futo Buta is one of our true culinary gems of the whole city, never had anything that wasn't stellar there. Even though trendy ramen restaurants are popping up all over, we have multiple friends in other cities that demand we go there each time they visit. So yeah their location is not a problem with that kind of reputation. More case in point: Bakersfield and Kid Cashew...formerly "cursed" locations (although only Bakersfield's former tenants had the parking excuse) that are now thriving because there is a solidly positive consensus on the food and experience. 

My dad, a Domino's franchise owner, once tried his hand with a newcomer to the Carolina's at the time called Topper's pizza. He opened in an odd location on Center Street up in Hickory in half of a convenience store at a defunct gas station. Despite the odd location the reputation of good service and quality food kept people coming there. We closed for various reasons but no business since our's have survived there. 

• 2 weeks later...

Carrabbas in Southend has closed. Didn't realize they've been there almost 17 years. They cited "business circumstances" as the reason for closing. Wonder if they'll blame parking too :huh:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article133171479.html

Edited by HopHead
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, HopHead said:

Carrabbas in Southend has closed. Didn't realize they've been there almost 17 years. They cited "business circumstances" as the reason for closing. Wonder if they'll blame parking too :huh:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article133171479.html

I'd think it has a lot more to do with superior restaurants moving into the neighborhood and residents there not being too into these kind of national chains unless its quick-service.

Its a great location and space so seems like a sure thing that another restaurant will take it quickly, right?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nonillogical said:

I'd think it has a lot more to do with superior restaurants moving into the neighborhood and residents there not being too into these kind of national chains unless its quick-service.

Its a great location and space so seems like a sure thing that another restaurant will take it quickly, right?

That would make sense. Honestly, it surprised me for how long it was around. I went there last in probably 2008? It was a decent chain to me. Though I never really sought it out. 

5 hours ago, HopHead said:

Normally I wouldn't take a restaurant closing as good news, but in this case I do. It just opens the space, which can be occupied by one or even two better tenants. It's prime real estate. I agree with HopHead...for what it was, Carabba's was decent, but I never found myself going there. I would hope for a local spot, but if it's another chain, I think a McAllister's or Jason's Deli would do well in South End, and the space seems about the right size.

The SouthEnd location is just one of 43 restaurants Bloomin Brands closed on the same day. Bloomin Brands (parent company of Carrabba's) had a rough fourth quarter and restaurants already opened averaged a -3.5% decline in sales. The company posted a GAAP loss of around -$4 million and announced: 

" On  February 15, 2017 , we decided to close 43 underperforming restaurants. In connection with these closures, we recognized pre-tax asset impairments of  $46.5 million  during Q4 2016, which includes three restaurants that closed in the fourth quarter. We expect to incur charges between  $16 million  to  $19 million  in fiscal year 2017 with the majority of these expenses occurring in the first quarter"

There is too much competition these days from high quality independent restaurants to be selling $13 pasta at a generic chain. I'm sure rent in SouthEnd did not help this particular locations' profit margin. 

Edited by CLT2014

I've lived in Charlotte for most of the past 17 years and just went to Carrabbas in Southend a few months ago for the first time because it had been there for so long and I'd never been. It was decent, but I didn't see any reason to go back. And the place was dead at the peak of lunch hour.

On 2/17/2017 at 8:28 AM, CLT2014 said:

The SouthEnd location is just one of 43 restaurants Bloomin Brands closed on the same day. Bloomin Brands (parent company of Carrabba's) had a rough fourth quarter and restaurants already opened averaged a -3.5% decline in sales. The company posted a GAAP loss of around -$4 million and announced: 

" On  February 15, 2017 , we decided to close 43 underperforming restaurants. In connection with these closures, we recognized pre-tax asset impairments of  $46.5 million  during Q4 2016, which includes three restaurants that closed in the fourth quarter. We expect to incur charges between  $16 million  to  $19 million  in fiscal year 2017 with the majority of these expenses occurring in the first quarter"

There is too much competition these days from high quality independent restaurants to be selling $13 pasta at a generic chain. I'm sure rent in SouthEnd did not help this particular locations' profit margin. 

Put it this way: i'd rather eat at a f***** Olive Garden than a Carrabbas.  

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I tried to go to Revolution in NoDa for lunch Sunday to find it closed and the hours scraped off the door. A friend who lives in the neighborhood told me it is closed for good, and that a second location for Moo & Brew will be moving in. 

He claims that the neighborhood has been praying for the death of this place for years now, which I was somewhat shocked to hear. It was my favorite pizza place in town. Granted, the service/management side of things had noticeably started caring less in recent years, but the food, beer, and building were enough to keep me going back. While I like Moo & Brew a lot and think it will do well here and put in the effort to succeed, it feels thoroughly underwhelming. Not only can you get a good burger next door and at least 3 other places in NoDa already, the existing location is not far away. I would have preferred Revolution being resurrected under new management (not a ton of local options for that style of pizza), or any of the numerous un-filled niches in the NoDa dining scene could have been filled instead of more burgers. 

48 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

(not a ton of local options for that style of pizza)

I get what you're saying.....except for this quote.  What style of pizza?  Was it super-different than, or how did it compare to, pure (2 locations), pizza peel, fuel, intermezzo, benny's, etc etc etc?

37 minutes ago, grodney said:

I get what you're saying.....except for this quote.  What style of pizza?  Was it super-different than, or how did it compare to, pure (2 locations), pizza peel, fuel, intermezzo, benny's, etc etc etc?

I was not a fan of revolution at all. On that note, I think Davidson St Public House might have closed too. Please someone correct me if I am wrong. Loved that place. 

Edited by Jayvee