Another bar/restaurant bites the dust

http://charlotterestauranttraffic.com/news/4th-ward/#.VCQKThb2Sik

Meant to post this last week. But 4th ward bread co had a crazy fire on Friday and is currently shut down. This article says they were doing really well, but I heard they were struggling (perhaps thats why the fire happened friday night???? Insurance money????? Speculation?????) and either way it sucks, i loved this place.

Last time I was in town I talked to the owner and it seemed like business was doing wonderful. The only time I've heard the business was struggling was from the crazy person who picketed outside of the building. My guess is he set the fire.

Last time I was in town I talked to the owner and it seemed like business was doing wonderful. The only time I've heard the business was struggling was from the crazy person who picketed outside of the building. My guess is he set the fire.

Yeah, my impression was that business was great. I live in the area and went there all the time and it was always crowded. I hope they are eventually able to reopen, was a huge fan.

Just talked to Francesca... same owners but with new partners and a new start.  Grand opening this Saturday!

Levine canceled their lease yesterday. The new partners will continue to run the restaurant, but the original owners are out. From what I was told, it sounds like it may be closing for a little while, but it will re-open with the new owners. That wasn't clear though, it may not be closing down at all. All I know for certain is the original owners are out.

• 2 months later...

Is there any news on 4th ward bread company re-opening? It was the only place, besides 7th street market, which has the vibe I like. Amelia's was close but now of course it's gone too.

No clue. But I am happy to tell you that Toast out of Huntersville is looking at opening a new Corporate location downtown. So you'll finally have your full service breakfast spot. This won't be one of their new franchise locations "The Famous Toastery"

No clue. But I am happy to tell you that Toast out of Huntersville is looking at opening a new Corporate location downtown. So you'll finally have your full service breakfast spot. This won't be one of their new franchise locations "The Famous Toastery"

Cool, Sounds nice, if you find out where please post. 

• 2 months later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/02/25/uptown-charlotte-eatery-to-close-in-april.html

E2 is closing in late April. Not that surprising, bland food, low visibility, bad reviews and an overpriced menu will do that. I did however, love their cocktails so that sucks. Hopefully with the momentum on this side of town, something cool moves in.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/02/25/uptown-charlotte-eatery-to-close-in-april.html

E2 is closing in late April. Not that surprising, bland food, low visibility, bad reviews and an overpriced menu will do that. I did however, love their cocktails so that sucks. Hopefully with the momentum on this side of town, something cool moves in.

I just finally went for the first time on NYE and actually had a great meal (and drinks) that exceeded my expectations. I did think the atmosphere was on the bland side though. I wouldn't worry about this space, something comparable or better will go in quickly. 

I'm actually a little bummed about E2... My wife and I went ate there are several occasions and loved the cocktails and meals we had. I agree the atmosphere may of been a little bland, but never had a bad meal or beverage there. The location isn't quite as visible as you'd want though either. Hopefully something unique does go there in its place and not another flippin' sushi joint or steakhouse.

Hopefully something unique does go there in its place and not another flippin' sushi joint or steakhouse.

My hope for here,or any other space uptown really, is a butcher-centric farm to table type place with a big whiskey selection. Something like Seven Sows Bourbon & Larder in Asheville would be perfect but that might fit better in an older building. Or a raw bar (I am aware of Rock Salt having just opened but one uptown would make a killing). 

One thing I didn't think about yesterday was the imminent construction of the Museum apartment tower right above E2. It's already kind of a weird location, and one would have think this would have some impact on the restaurant traffic. This could have factored into their decision to close as well (though they claim otherwise in the Observer article of course). I would be curious to see if it's a little while before something takes its spot.. 

One thing I didn't think about yesterday was the imminent construction of the Museum apartment tower right above E2. It's already kind of a weird location, and one would have think this would have some impact on the restaurant traffic. This could have factored into their decision to close as well (though they claim otherwise in the Observer article of course). I would be curious to see if it's a little while before something takes its spot.. 

That is a good point, but post-construction, that location will definitely have a ton of foot traffic once that building starts filling up.

• 4 weeks later...

http://charlotterestauranttraffic.com/ballantyne/tijuana-flats-closes-on-east-blvd/#.VRnBKJPF_mY

I am not sure if anyone will be surprised by this, but Tijuana Flats closed on East Blvd.

I am actually. I went there for lunch a lot on Tuesdays and Thursdays (because they had great specials) and it was always busy. Must not have been very busy the other days of the week.

I am actually. I went there for lunch a lot on Tuesdays and Thursdays (because they had great specials) and it was always busy. Must not have been very busy the other days of the week.

No surprise at all. My co-worker used to work there. He told me that the Dilworth crowd had a hard time understanding why they didn't have glasses for their beer (they use plastic). He also told me that Tijuana flats is planning a University City location which is probably more of their clientele base.

No surprise at all. My co-worker used to work there. He told me that the Dilworth crowd had a hard time understanding why they didn't have glasses for their beer (they use plastic). He also told me that Tijuana flats is planning a University City location which is probably more of their clientele base.

Yeah, I would imagine them doing MUCH better in UC than Dilworth.

Looking inside that place the lighting and branding always made me want to barf a little, though people told me it was good. Well, no room with Moe's already here for the low end and Bakersfield for the high end! Hope we get something more unique there. I think East might be due for a seafood place, or a brunch-centric spot.