Traffic Congestion, Road Construction, & Improvement Projects

gman430

38 minutes ago, NewlyUpstate said:

I see that South Carolina was given an additional $1B for infrastructure projects in 2024 due to the federal infrastructure bill.

Does anyone have a good resource for how and where that gets allocated throughout the state?  This was promised funding as part of the 5 year plan behind the bill (and apparently I guess we know how much we are getting for each of the following 3 years too).  Has the state been allocating money towards projects before the funding has been released to the state or does SC wait until the money comes in each year to put it towards things?

I imagine the money will go towards the 10 year SCDOT plan:

https://www.scdot.org/projects/ten-year-plan.aspx

A bit more info here also: 

https://www.transportation.gov/briefing-room/bipartisan-infrastructure-law-will-deliver-south-carolina

Edited by gman430

• 4 weeks later...

Cultural Corridor Streetscape Improvements: 

The City of Greenville would like to thank all firms that submitted bids for the above-mentioned IFB. In accordance with City policies and the above IFB, this communication serves as notice of intent to award. After careful review of all responsive and responsible bids, approval has been received to award the contract to L-J, Inc. Final contract award is subject to approvals from all parties.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Might the construction of the 301 college street high rise be impacted by this project? Maybe Beech is waiting for this to finish before demolition and construction begin on their project. Having both happening consecutively would cause some issues with traffic, logistics, etc right?

Love this project. I think many people will be stunned at the beauty that exists on Augusta St hidden behind all these ugly power poles and wires. 

I still hate the format of 2 narrow lanes right next to eachother with no turn lane (meaning you have to turn left from the travel lane which is incredibly dangerous and traffic inducing).  Along with some of the pisspoor intersections (Harris Teeter entry, turning left onto Jones, among others), but this is a massive step in the right direction to clear up visual noise and unblock blind spots.

3 minutes ago, SVL said:

The footage from this video was all from at least a few months back, tress completely green still; why just now coming out? About 10-15 years ago some plans came out for this intersection that would have completely remade it; had lots of landscaping and a nice looking overhead crosswalk for pedestrians.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you ever question why the 85 road widening project has been underway FOREVER, just drive by on any given day and look at all of the equipment sitting idle with no activity. Clearly the State of SC has never thought of performance bonuses to finish a project ahead of schedule. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/21/2024 at 7:23 AM, gman430 said:

Not the first time at the rodeo  The extra penny sales tax has been voted down more than once in Greenville county. I will be shocked if it passes this time especially with the rising cost of living/ inflation.

• Like 1

I did a quick search and found the average American uses somewhere in between 600-800 gallons of gas each year.  Sounds right to me.  If we use those numbers, we would each get taxed about $6-8 a year.   That's a good trade to get better roads and infrastructure. We get a lot of out of county folks coming here everyday for work and play that would probably fill up and contribute also. I hope it happens. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SVL said:

I did a quick search and found the average American uses somewhere in between 600-800 gallons of gas each year.  Sounds right to me.  If we use those numbers, we would each get taxed about $6-8 a year.   That's a good trade to get better roads and infrastructure. We get a lot of out of county folks coming here everyday for work and play that would probably fill up and contribute also. I hope it happens. 

Groceries, pharmaceuticals, and gas would not be included in this tax.