The Good News Report

atlrvr

Some good news on the jobs front locally Carlisle and Gallagher local IT consulting firm added 64 new jobs in Charlotte this year and is poised next year to add 200 more local jobs. These are very high paying IT and consulting jobs another example of local firms growing. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/04/18/ntt-data-reveals-new-consulting-approach-fueled-by.html?ana=RSS%26s%3Darticle_search&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Plus overall jobs in the state of NC has grown by 120,000 new jobs in the last year statewide and the majority of those are in the Charlotte or Raleigh Durham areas.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/blog/morning-edition/2016/04/nc-gets-good-jobs-report-in-march.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2016-04-18&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1461008567&j=72457862

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Piedmont767 said:

I understand that he's very unpopular right now but it's a bit much putting election race information showing one candidate shifting the tide in their favor in the "good news" section.

It's always nice to see Charlotte getting more tech jobs. That's one area that Charlotte has huge potential for growth. 

• Like 2

Hopefully once this news cycle ends and the general public forgets this happened, companies and artists won't feel the need to be pulling publicity stunts having to do with it. Isn't that Malaysian airlines plane still missing? I think CNN could get some more mileage out of it.

3 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Hopefully once this news cycle ends and the general public forgets this happened, companies and artists won't feel the need to be pulling publicity stunts having to do with it. Isn't that Malaysian airlines plane still missing? I think CNN could get some more mileage out of it.

This is exactly what will happen, and which is where I disagree with other posters.

In other news, phone polls came back at like 49% believe cities should be able to make laws! I can't even . . . 

Not to mention, the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals just invalidated a school bathroom law.  Ruling is limited in scope, but this could be over even faster than we think; seeing as how NC's law was nothing more than a rehash of federal law that's been on the books for decades, we will fall in line with this, as well.  

Edited by alb1no panther

Sprouts Market is opening its first store in the Carolinas in the Colinayre development south of Ballantyne at Hwy 521 and Providence Rd West. I had not heard this before. It is where they are also building a hotel, a Bank of NC branch.  Look for other stores in the Charlotte area I am sure.

http://www.yorkdevelopmentgroup.com/colinayre-charlotte-nc.html

• Like 1

For the sake of adding something positive,

CIT has renewed 50,000 SF in 201 South Tryon for 10 years. Their lease included naming rights, but they are going to keep the name (South Tryon Square). However they will be adding their sign to the exterior of the 5th floor (Tryon facing side). 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/04/21/cit-group-putting-its-mark-on-this-uptown.html

Edited by Crown
  • Like 4

From the Business Journal 

Genpak, which has had manufacturing operations in the Charlotte area since 1985, has decided to move its headquarters to Charlotte from New York.

Genpak President Kevin Kelly told me this afternoon he’s looking at space in Charlotte that will eventually house 100 employees. He’s considering leasing existing space in Ballantyne, the former coliseum area and SouthPark, he says.

It says  they are looking for 25,000 to 40,000 sq ft.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cltbwimob said:

File this under complete speculation on my part, but I think Charlotte is inching ever closer to being officially designated the HQ of Ally Financial.  The CEO, CFO, and Head of the Banking unit are all based in Charlotte, and I just read this morning that the Chief Risk Officer is moving from Detroit to Charlotte.  Add the fact that financial statements and shareholders meetings are conducted in Charlotte and the fact that they just bought Tradeking, whose CEO is based in CLT (and will stay on as part of the management team) as well I believe, and it is hard to argue that the defacto HQ isn't already here.  Now I think it won't be too long before it becomes official.

I would love it but I doubt it. I've read other articles in the business media that suggests the hq will not leave Detroit, period, the end.

And in any case, until HB2 is resolved, a high-profile hq relo like this is unlikely. Think of the protests that would accompany such a move!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

File this under complete speculation on my part, but I think Charlotte is inching ever closer to being officially designated the HQ of Ally Financial.  The CEO, CFO, and Head of the Banking unit are all based in Charlotte, and I just read this morning that the Chief Risk Officer is moving from Detroit to Charlotte.  Add the fact that financial statements and shareholders meetings are conducted in Charlotte and the fact that they just bought Tradeking, whose CEO is based in CLT (and will stay on as part of the management team) as well I believe, and it is hard to argue that the defacto HQ isn't already here.  Now I think it won't be too long before it becomes official.

No Aly, but there will be an announcement in the next few weeks about a Southeastern bank increasing their charlotte presence. :ph34r:

My guess is PNC. They are tight on space at Piedmont Town Center and rapidly growing in Charlotte.

I could Regions doing something. I believe they are trying to add Cap Market employees here. Honestly though, I'd be surprised if they could take many floors. Maybe 4 floors and naming rights? Their HQ in Birmingham is only 30 floors and 630k square feet.

Edited by CLT2014

He said a southeastern Bank...so not PNC bank

I am guessing Sun Trust

16 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

My guess is PNC. They are tight on space at Piedmont Town Center and rapidly growing in Charlotte.

I could Regions doing something. I believe they are trying to add Cap Market employees here. Honestly though, I'd be surprised if they could take many floors. Maybe 4 floors and naming rights? Their HQ in Birmingham is only 30 floors and 630k square feet.

2 minutes ago, RaleighHeelsfan said:

He said a southeastern Bank...so not PNC bank

I am guessing Sun Trust

SunTrust has invested a lot in their SouthPark regional offices and is locked into leases there. They also have room to expand. I think they have 4 floors now at Sharon Square and only moved in two years ago. Good catch on PNC. I'm leaning Regions then.

Edited by CLT2014

Also going to go with Regions.  They have previously been pretty aggressive in trying to recruit Charlotte bankers to relocate to Birmingham (and based on people i'm familiar with, everyone declines to move)....would make sense to expand some functions in Charlotte.

I believe head of debt Capital Markets and some Inv Bank groups are now in Charlotte, so their Investment Banking Business is probably going to grow here at the expense of Atlanta (which is where that group is currently based I think).

It wouldn't surprise me though if they expanded some specialized corporate functions to Charlotte, such as Risk Management, Legal/Compliance, and Corp Treasury.  These are really niche rolls, where it is going to be tough to recruit to Birmingham, but Charlotte has a deep pool of talent, or certainly easier place to recruit to (from Cincy, Cleveland, Atlanta, Pittsburg, etc) than the Ham.