The Good News Report

atlrvr

If I read the Observer story correctly it confirms the general opinion that traditional insurance products such as life, annuities, casualty and others will suffer in the near future as this very low interest environment for long term investments of certain, safe origin (US treasuries, large corporate bonds) will hamper insurers as they have promised cash value and payouts from policies sold in the past with actuarial standards based on greater historic returns. The longer this low rate environment persists the greater the risk for those that adjust their assets to equities or other higher risk investments. Large multi line firms are interesting in separating their insurance arms to reduce contamination to the bottom line of the combined company. A macro economist may chime in here to add or correct this view.

26 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

That's a good thing, it doesn't get discussed here much but Charlotte is dramatically short on industrial space across the whole city.

Yeah? An industrial engineer I know, of the old guard, who does consulting, who does actually love South End, did once bemoan to me its trend of pushing out industrial companies due to property tax increases; a perspective I've rarely heard (the movement/displacement of industrial properties doesn't get much emotion in the circles I'm around). So there really is a lack?

Edited by SgtCampsalot

35 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Yeah? An industrial engineer I know, of the old guard, who does consulting, who does actually love South End, did once bemoan to me its trend of pushing out industrial companies due to property tax increases; a perspective I've rarely heard (the movement/displacement of industrial properties doesn't get much emotion in the circles I'm around). So there really is a lack?

The industrial space vacancy rate is around 5-6% in the Charlotte market. Its really low and there is demand for space, especially considering distribution is one of the most important backbones of Charlotte's economy. 

A snapshot of some Charlotte employment sectors per the Census:
Manufacturing: ~103,000 workers
Transportation, Warehouse, and Utilities: ~49,000 workers
Wholesale trade: ~31,000 workers

Finance, insurance, real estate, leasing: ~92,000 workers
Professional, Scientific, Admin: ~103,000 workers

Most new distribution facilities or light industrial space want high ceilings like 30-36 feet. The new Amazon warehouse in Concord has 36 feet high ceilings and many older buildings are 18-24 feet tall. These lower ceiling buildings have higher vacancies than the newer construction. Warehouse space is tight in Charlotte especially for class A warehouse space (newer buildings with higher ceilings). I love to see new warehouses going up because they mean jobs and look around the area they are rising all over. A California based company that custom prints drinkware leased 152,000 sq ft in Concord for an operation that will employ up to 200. These buildings are not as glamorous as office towers but as pointed out they employ a whole lot more people. Check this out in Concord http://www.cabpnc.com/   The 400,000 sq ft building is where Amazon is among other tenants.

Here is another new warehouse park rising and half of it is already leased buried in the Arrowood industrial area.

http://www.childressklein.com/property_profiles/ridge-creek-west-distribution-center 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, southslider said:

Charlotte has a prime area for the region's much needed industrial warehouse expansion just west of 485 and the Airport.  But for some reason, Lincoln Harris wants this to be the next Ballantyne instead.

I thought it was going to be a mix of the two. Industrial closer to the airport and retail/residential closer to the river.

• Like 1

That amazon warehouse was such a win for Concord. It seems like a lot of industrial development is going on in the South Carolina part of the Charlotte metro. I agree that Charlotte should work to develop a major industrial area. And that undeveloped land near i485 and the airport seems like a good opportunity. 

13 hours ago, Nick2 said:

That amazon warehouse was such a win for Concord. It seems like a lot of industrial development is going on in the South Carolina part of the Charlotte metro. I agree that Charlotte should work to develop a major industrial area. And that undeveloped land near i485 and the airport seems like a good opportunity. 

I disagree. It's still urban sprawl.  Meanwhile, the north end of Charlotte where my 150k warehouse is located in a prime I-1 area, sits empty. Statesville Ave, and Graham Streets are devoid of anything but spotty left-over warehouses, section 8 apartments and homelessness. It's cheap land, already has the 'infrastructure',has many areas already properly zoned, has somewhat of a working force within walking distance, and yet we mow down beautiful countryside in the name of progress. Okay, I'll go back to my little corner of the 'hood' where everyone is afraid to go and shut up.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

http://m.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/bank_notes/2016/03/four-massmutual-affiliates-including-babson.html

welp. Called this and saw it coming. This is huge huge huge news for the city 

Awesome news that they kept Charlotte as the headquarters and we will have one of the top 100 asset managers in the WORLD in Charlotte to complement our banking presence. Got to get used to the name Baring! 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Awesome news that they kept Charlotte as the headquarters and we will have one of the top 100 asset managers in the WORLD in Charlotte to complement our banking presence. Got to get used to the name Baring! 

I would go as far to say that Charlotte is Dubai of the SE(negating TX), in terms of growth and construction. All the buildings in uptown are pretty new compared to places like Atlanta or Jacksonville or even Miami. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mpretori said:

I would go as far to say that Charlotte is Dubai of the SE(negating TX), in terms of growth and construction. All the buildings in uptown are pretty new compared to places like Atlanta or Jacksonville or even Miami. 

I have a feeling that Atlanta would disagree with that notion...

• Like 1

This is great news. Will help the airport, Uptown business community, and overall office and apartment market. Wins like this are how long growth spurts sustain themselves. 

13 minutes ago, mpretori said:

Exclude Miami and you'd be correct. Miami has more towers going up within two blocks of my house than all of Charlotte. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dcharlotte said:

This is great news. Will help the airport, Uptown business community, and overall office and apartment market. Wins like this are how long growth spurts sustain themselves. 

Exclude Miami and you'd be correct. Miami has more towers going up within two blocks of my house than all of Charlotte. 

I don't think Nashville should be excluded either. I was in Nashville in february. Its like they have a Crane Epidemic. 

8 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I don't think Nashville should be excluded either. I was in Nashville in february. Its like they have a Crane Epidemic. 

They are growing pretty fast, but are ranked below charlotte. 

I have a feeling that Atlanta would disagree with that notion...

Atlanta also grew at a slower pace last year than charlotte. 

Edited by mpretori
  • Like 1