The Good News Report

atlrvr

1 hour ago, navigator319 said:

In this social climate, the LGBTQ community here is going to be swinging and missing.  I imagine business will now pick back up in the state.  Hell, it even started to pick back up once that gorilla was shot.

The CNBC survey is great improvement as last year we were at 9 now we are at 5.  NC has and is a great place to do business and companies follow their labor pools and thousands are moving here (NC) each year.  

Good news for Raleigh Cary area today 450 high paying jobs announced today http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2016/07/12/cary-based-relias-learning-announces-450-jobs.html?ana=e_trig_bn_breakingnews&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1468342041&j=74784282

• Like 2

New Amazon warehouse in Charlotte and it is in addition to the Concord airport location. 397,000 sq ft off Wilkinson Blvd in a previously occupied warehouse. Amazon warehouse will mean jobs as the smaller Concord facility employs 200 plus and zooms upward in the busy season.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/07/12/building-permits-amazon-to-occupy-industrial.html?ana=RSS%26s%3Darticle_search&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Maybe we can finally get Amazon Now in Charlotte 

we already have it.

(I don't remember if its labeled Amazon Now but I have gotten quite a few same day deliveries, even on the weekend, in 28203)

Edited by kermit

21 hours ago, kermit said:

we already have it.

(I don't remember if its labeled Amazon Now but I have gotten quite a few same day deliveries, even on the weekend, in 28203)

I think what we currently have is just called Same Day Delivery. Order by noon (I think) and the cost has to be over $35 and you receive it before 8pm (I think). I have it but have never used it.

2 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

https://primenow.amazon.com

Nope. We may have the benefit of the large DC in Concord which may enable the occasional same day delivery but Charlotte is not a full blown official Prime Now city. 

How in the world did cities like Raleigh, Nashville, Cinci, Columbus and Las Vegas get this before Charlotte? I'm sure the answer depends on those cities having some sort of facility that we don't...but that makes me wonder why we don't???

52 minutes ago, jednc said:

How in the world did cities like Raleigh, Nashville, Cinci, Columbus and Las Vegas get this before Charlotte? I'm sure the answer depends on those cities having some sort of facility that we don't...but that makes me wonder why we don't???

Maybe partner options in those places?  Maybe subscriber levels?  

I would really be interested in knowing as well.  

I usually try to leave good news as good news, but I cringe every time someone celebrates Amazon. 

Their efficiency in delivering retail to customers eliminates far more local jobs (retail store workers) than they create (warehouse and delivery drivers).

I also think it runs counter to what most people's stated desire to have national chains open new locations here in Charlotte, or new more urban locations.

Established retailers (those that have been around 20+ years) are almost universally closing store to re-allocate their investment dollars into competing in the on-line shopping/delivery space.  Very very few retailers are expanding meaningfully, and in urban spaces that they are, Charlotte is pretty far down the list.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cjd5050 said:

Maybe partner options in those places?  Maybe subscriber levels?  

I would really be interested in knowing as well.  

The new center is supposed to push us over the fence on Prime Now.  The current facility is technically only a "sorting facility" and has only recently begun keeping items in storage as demand has increased.  We technically do not have a full-blown distribution center.

I've ordered Prime Same Day for free a couple times (assuming you order by noon) and, according to the tracking info, it ships out of Tennessee or Georgia and magically arrives around 6pm at my house.  I still haven't figured out the logistics of how that is even possible.

As for retail being hurt, yes, Amazon and Alibaba are the Walmarts of the 2010's.  So maybe this is good news for convenience, bad news for the local economy.

46 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

I usually try to leave good news as good news, but I cringe every time someone celebrates Amazon. 

Their efficiency in delivering retail to customers eliminates far more local jobs (retail store workers) than they create (warehouse and delivery drivers).

I also think it runs counter to what most people's stated desire to have national chains open new locations here in Charlotte, or new more urban locations.

Established retailers (those that have been around 20+ years) are almost universally closing store to re-allocate their investment dollars into competing in the on-line shopping/delivery space.  Very very few retailers are expanding meaningfully, and in urban spaces that they are, Charlotte is pretty far down the list.

I get what you're saying but part of the reason I shop at Amazon is that I don't want to buy products that include the compensation for many 'retail store workers'...even if those are local jobs.  Don't get me wrong, I try to support local for many items, but at the same time, buying other items is just being forced to deal with retail workers who don't know their product, don't care about their customers and I get stuck with a stupid tax for shopping there.  

I'll give you an example.  I purchased a new fridge last fall and went to 6 different places to do research.  Nobody could tell me anything of value and I was at the point of giving up. I took a last chance on Plaza Appliance and found a guy who knew more about appliances than he should and purchased there...even though it would have been cheaper to get online.  If all local retail was like Curtis at Plaza Appliance (Pineville location)...I'd not use Amazon so much.  

The other thing to consider is most product today is crap.  Not much is made to the quality like it used to be.  That's on the consumer but still a reality.  That said, when you're shopping for what is essentially a temporary solution...you look for the cheapest price with the least hassle.  

My hope is that brick and mortar retail focuses on what Amazon can't.  That's well made products that are sold by well informed people and in such a way that the shopping experience is fun.  It's why I am not allowed in Williams-Sonoma with my wallet. :)  Right now it's not and I think that has to be mentioned at the same time why these places are closing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

Exactly. We are already overloaded on retail square footage in this country. We have six times more retail square footage per person in the USA compared to the UK. Urban retail is increasingly restaurants and bars as people are shopping online. 

Amazon is forcing retailers to invest in online or die. Belk is an example... physical store expansion will be targeted. Many stores will be closed, and their new private equity investor will help them get relevant in online. 

I'm not sure if it is a bad thing though, it is just a reality. Brick and mortar needs to look at how they can compete. Mom and pop businesses need to offer unique products with great customer service. Large chains need to innovate and do something different. 

Edited by CLT2014

It really depends on the segment of retail.  I have a feeling that a lot of big box retail will go the Best Buy route.  BB is slowly just becoming a show room for Apple, Samsung, and Microsoft.  As more middle-man-retailers get out-priced by Amazon, I don't see any other way for them to compete. 

Any retailer like H&M, for example, has the luxury of creating their own goods (more or less) and, to me, the ability to see and feel linens in person before you buy is priceless. 

Mom-and-pop general stores don't stand a chance outside of pure local support.

To me, specialty retail is the only segment that isn't as effected by Amazon and is more effected by the likes of Etsy and Ebay.

IMO one day in the not so distant future hardware, clothing, and convenience stores will be the last men standing along show-rooms like Apple and Microsoft Stores.  Well, aside from the wholesome family experience that is shopping at Walmart and SuperTarget that so many like to expose themselves to.

17 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Exactly. We are already overloaded on retail square footage in this country. We have six times more retail square footage per person in the USA compared to the UK. Urban retail is increasingly restaurants and bars as people are shopping online. 

Amazon is forcing retailers to invest in online or die. Belk is an example... physical store expansion will be targeted. Many stores will be closed, and their new private equity investor will help them get relevant in online. 

I'm not sure if it is a bad thing though, it is just a reality. Brick and mortar needs to look at how they can compete. Mom and pop businesses need to offer unique products with great customer service. Large chains need to innovate and do something different. 

However, mom and pops should be granted equal tax credits and below market cost for their floor space. Cabarrus County, as every other county in the country, just fawns over the prospect of something like Amazon knocking at their door.  

For a while, (I'm not sure if this still happens) Amazon was able to be supplied free boxes from our USPS in order to ship. 

In speaking of Amazon and Cabarrus county Amazon received no incentives local or state to come to Concord. The developer as other developers who commit to building spec industrial space in the county get some property tax incentives but no direct incentives were given to Amazon. In fact the county did not even announce it as Amazon is very low key on these type of things and I would expect the same thing for this new Charlotte fulfillment center.  There will always be retail stores with an omni channel strategy bricks and clicks  and clothing is still not something that is easily bought on line with returns, special fits etc.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AuLukey said:

It really depends on the segment of retail.  I have a feeling that a lot of big box retail will go the Best Buy route.  BB is slowly just becoming a show room for Apple, Samsung, and Microsoft.  As more middle-man-retailers get out-priced by Amazon, I don't see any other way for them to compete. 

Any retailer like H&M, for example, has the luxury of creating their own goods (more or less) and, to me, the ability to see and feel linens in person before you buy is priceless. 

Mom-and-pop general stores don't stand a chance outside of pure local support.

To me, specialty retail is the only segment that isn't as effected by Amazon and is more effected by the likes of Etsy and Ebay.

IMO one day in the not so distant future hardware, clothing, and convenience stores will be the last men standing along show-rooms like Apple and Microsoft Stores.  Well, aside from the wholesome family experience that is shopping at Walmart and SuperTarget that so many like to expose themselves to.

I think 'sensory' shopping (see, feel, smell and taste) is the key for small retail but it needs to be complemented with knowledgeable staff.  If you're going to staff with someone who knows nothing about the product it just does not work.  This is/was the opportunity for mom-and-pop places but eventually they staffed kids rather than doubling down on experience.  I don't buy people will not pay for quality when we fork over $5 for a coffee and $8 for a beer.  It's the quality that's missing and that's on them.

As for Target and Walmart...I am more of a target person but have shopped at both.  I gladly 'expose' myself to their stores and I am not sure of the dig.  If others want to go to 5 places rather than 1 and pay 10% more, good for them.  I'd rather get in and get home.  I know what the value proposition is there and I am fine with it.  An example is I just purchased a pair of river shoes for an upcoming camping trip.  My options were getting something for $10 that would do what I needed for 2 days, go to REI and purchase something made and priced to go on a year long exposition or order something off amazon based on reviews but not 100% sure on the quality.  Target won and the coffee I got while shopping there was delicious.

I think the future is going to be about grouping products into 4 classes.  Everyday, Cheap/Temporary, Handmade and Quality.  I think Amazon will continue to own more and more of the first two.  I think Etsy type sites will eventually grown into stores if the product justifies a sensory experience to complement online.  And I think Quality will eventually be the only true brick-and-mortar shopping experience.  

23 minutes ago, hinsp0 said:

Legitimate good news:. Vizant is leasing 20,000 square feet in Ballantyne and has long term plans to expand their Charlotte workforce from 75 employees to 300 or 400 employees.  The company is also considering making Charlotte its corporate headquaters.  More details are available in the Observer.

You beat me to the punch. Here's the link to the Observer article: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article89432972.html

• Like 1

Charlotte ranked #1 in tech talent momentum in CBRE's "Scoring Tech Talent" report. 

http://www.cbre.us/aboutus/mediacenter/mediaarchives/Pages/Scoring-Tech-Talent-2016.aspx

" Meanwhile, small markets took dominant positions on the list of top “momentum markets,” which ranks cities based on tech talent growth rates between 2010 and 2015. Charlotte and Nashville, which saw tech talent growth rate increases of 75 percent and 68 percent, respectively, topped this year’s list.  "

• Like 2

On 7/12/2016 at 9:43 AM, alb1no panther said:

In this social climate, the LGBTQ community here is going to be swinging and missing.  I imagine business will now pick back up in the state.  Hell, it even started to pick back up once that gorilla was shot.

I am now in Minneapolis and just spent a week in Chicago. While in both places I have visited many classy restaurants and bars. In both cities, bathrooms have been designated for "men" and "women."  I have not seen  places with multi use facilities except those that have only one or two stalls that anyone can use. Is there actually a place where the bathroom with more than one or two toilets for customers is designated for everybody?  I haven't see one. 

Edited by caterpillar2
Needed to make clearer.

1 hour ago, caterpillar2 said:

I am now in Minneapolis and just spent a week in Chicago. While in both places I have visited many classy restaurants and bars. In both cities, bathrooms have been designated for "men" and "women."  I have not seen  places with multi use that have one or two stalls. Is there actually a place where the bathroom for customers is designated for everybody?  I haven't see one. 

I wish I could take pictures of the public restrooms at the Standard Hotel in NYC. Sadly pictures of bathrooms is probably frowned upon.

9 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Charlotte ranked #1 in tech talent momentum in CBRE's "Scoring Tech Talent" report. 

http://www.cbre.us/aboutus/mediacenter/mediaarchives/Pages/Scoring-Tech-Talent-2016.aspx

" Meanwhile, small markets took dominant positions on the list of top “momentum markets,” which ranks cities based on tech talent growth rates between 2010 and 2015. Charlotte and Nashville, which saw tech talent growth rate increases of 75 percent and 68 percent, respectively, topped this year’s list.  "

I read this whole report and it is very favorable to Charlotte and our tech community. We added more tech jobs in the last 5 years than many other cities including Raleigh Durham area even though their tech community is much larger. I encourage you to download the report and dig into it. Very favorable for the Charlotte region which gets overshadowed instate by Triangle area and other out of state markets. 

• Like 4

Small but significant company moving to the Charlotte area, a  California (Orange County) aerospace company moving lock stock and barrel to Claremont in Catawba county bringing $6.8 million investment and 50 well paying jobs. A strong region surrounding Charlotte makes Charlotte stronger: they will use our CLT airport, use Charlotte professional firms like accounting etc, and their employees will probably shop here too. This is the 2nd company from California to move ALL its operations to NC in the past 2 weeks. (The other company moved to Mills River outside of Asheville)  https://edpnc.com/california-based-aerospace-manufacturer-relocating-catawba-county-creating-46-new-jobs/   Union County has many aerospace companies and is one of the largest clusters in the state. 

• Like 4