The Good News Report

atlrvr

Back to some good news. New mixed use development project for SouthPark rezoning approved:

• Up to 490 residential units.
  • 175 room hotel
  • Up to 170,000 sq. ft of commercial space.
  • And 20,000 sq. ft for an indoor recreation center.
  • Brand new church facility in the center of it with 750 seats.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/03/21/southpark-mixed-use-project-gets-green-light.html

Absolutely awesome. Maybe in the future, other churches could follow in Sharon's footsteps. Fingers crosses, especially for uptown. How cool it is to see a church and Childress Klein working on a development project together. This gives me hope for many church parking lots uptown.

Edited by Nick2
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

Back to some good news. New mixed use development project for SouthPark rezoning approved:

• Up to 490 residential units.
  • 175 room hotel
  • Up to 170,000 sq. ft of commercial space.
  • And 20,000 sq. ft for an indoor recreation center.
  • Brand new church facility in the center of it with 750 seats.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/03/21/southpark-mixed-use-project-gets-green-light.html

Absolutely awesome. Maybe in the future, other churches could follow in Sharon's footsteps. Fingers crosses, especially for uptown. How cool it is to see a church and Childress Klein working on a development project together. This gives me hope for many church parking lots uptown.

HMMMM
did A Southern Season Drop out?

7 hours ago, Silicon Dogwoods said:

I've fit in beautifully everywhere I've ever lived except here, my native city.

Go figure.

My house is under contract. Pray we get to the closing table. It may be time for me to exit again.

Hey man. I'm a native too. Who cares if you fit "in". That's what makes NC, and Charlotte, great. We are big enough for everyone, and you don't need to try to fit in. I like reading your perspective on things. I don't always agree, but I appreciate your sincerity when you express your thoughts and opinions. Hope you stick around this area, we need the balance!

I really apologize for more off topic comments, but I just didn't think a DM would do for this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jednc said:

Hey man. I'm a native too. Who cares if you fit "in". That's what makes NC, and Charlotte, great. We are big enough for everyone, and you don't need to try to fit in. I like reading your perspective on things. I don't always agree, but I appreciate your sincerity when you express your thoughts and opinions. Hope you stick around this area, we need the balance!

I really apologize for more off topic comments, but I just didn't think a DM would do for this.

Thank you for the nice words.

• Like 1

Good news or bad news depending on your perspective...

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2016/03/massive-mixed-use-project-proposed-for-western.html

I'm not sure this is the best use for this location. Huge plots of contiguous acres like that so close to town are pretty rare. The intermodal yard at the airport had me thinking this could be more that residential. 

MetLife just leased 3 more floors at Ballantyne a couple of weeks ago (don't think CBJ picked this up).  Of the two buildings they are in, they occupy all 10 floors in Gragg, and now 9 floors in Woodward.  They still have an option on the 10th floor for when they need it.  At this rate, they will be out of space soon.  The original announcement had them taking 10 floors in Gragg, and 2 floors in Woodward....they've added 196k sq ft since their original announcement, which would accommodate 800-850 more jobs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

MetLife just leased 3 more floors at Ballantyne a couple of weeks ago (don't think CBJ picked this up).  Of the two buildings they are in, they occupy all 10 floors in Gragg, and now 9 floors in Woodward.  They still have an option on the 10th floor for when they need it.  At this rate, they will be out of space soon.  The original announcement had them taking 10 floors in Gragg, and 2 floors in Woodward....they've added 196k sq ft since their original announcement, which would accommodate 800-850 more jobs.

I wish they could just lease the rest of 300 ST. It seems like it would make more sense to just consolidate MetLife's (and Babson's) Charlotte employees in one building.

• Like 2

To be clear, the employees affected by MetLife sale to MassMutual only occupy 1 floor in Ballantyne...maybe those employees transfer Uptown (if they aren't cut).  I think MassMutuals advisor group is actually in South Park though currently.

Cost differential isn't great.  Think Met is paying $29ish for B-Tyne, and lower floors at 300ST are more like $35-$36, though parking is free and more plentiful in the burbs.

• Like 1

According to the JLL real estate report 1Q2016 Charlotte office market is doing great faster office absorption than the national average

Charlotte 47,047,960sq ft total Market   298,70sq ft absorbed in 1Q  0.6%  this is the percentage of the market absorbed this quarter (national figure is .2%  Atlanta is .2% for example)    Total vacancy 11.6%     $23.15 average per square foot rental cost  Under construction 2,223,472 sq ft.    And Charlotte office market usually does better in the 2nd half of the year don't ask me why it just does. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Someone maybe US Bank but that is a guess leased whole 37th floor of the Hearst Tower does anyone know who that could be? It was about 24,000 sq ft and that is expensive office space. Hearst Tower is about 97% occupied. US Bank currently leases approx. 80,000 sq ft in Hearst and another 20,000 sq ft. in South Tryon Square. One day and maybe sooner than later there could be a US Bank tower in Charlotte! 

• Like 1

Here's a local global company expanding in south Charlotte into a 100,000 sq ft InVue   http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/04/11/invue-expanding-in-charlotte-with-new-100-000.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=article_du&ed=2016-04-11&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1460416307&j=72256132   That many years ago was a Food Lion anchored shopping center off Hwy 51 now more of offices

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Here's a local global company expanding in south Charlotte into a 100,000 sq ft InVue   http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/04/11/invue-expanding-in-charlotte-with-new-100-000.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=article_du&ed=2016-04-11&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1460416307&j=72256132   That many years ago was a Food Lion anchored shopping center off Hwy 51 now more of offices

I can't read the full article, where on 51 is it?

InVue new headquarters in south Charlotte:  from the Business Journal today:  Looks like 60 new hires too.

A Charlotte-based security firm with a global presence is expanding locally.

InVue, formerly InVue Security, is relocating its headquarters to a 100,000-square-foot facility in Touchstone Plaza on Baybrook Lane, according to CEO Jim Sankey. In Charlotte, the security-system supplier currently leases two spaces totaling about 35,000 square feet in Olde Lancaster Town Center, at 15015 Lancaster Highway, where it has been for eight years.

Sankey said the new headquarters will put under one roof InVue’s corporate facility and its 20,000-square-foot innovation and design center that was launched in 2013 as part of a local expansion. The new building will more than double the company’s footprint in the Queen City. Sankey said the relocation is expected to take place by next March.
“We are continuing to invest in the business and we continue to see talent in Charlotte,” Sankey said. The company is in more than 70 markets worldwide, including a recently opened office in South Korea.

InVue has experienced steady growth in the past few years, Sankey said, which prompted the need for a larger space and more employees. The new Charlotte headquarters at Baybrook Lane will eventually employ about 220 people, up from 160 currently. InVue’s primary focus has traditionally been in retail anti-theft technology, but Sankey said the company is now growing its commercial security division, which creates solutions to secure and enable tablets for businesses.

In addition to InVue’s new headquarters, Touchstone Plaza will retain and add health and wellness retailers. As previously reported by the Charlotte Business Journal, the U.S. Performance Center is building a new, larger facility next to Jay M. Robinson Middle School on Ballantyne Commons Parkway, and plans to convert its Baybrook Lane location into a corporate wellness center. TotalCyclist is opening a 1,600-square-foot retail store in the plaza, which will also include a physical therapy and a chiropractor’s office.

• Like 2

More new jobs, 100 or so at iQor   This is located on Carowinds Blvd. From the Business Journal today. 

A call center is moving its local operations to a new facility in southwest Charlotte.

St. Petersburg, Fla.-based iQor, which provides customer contact solutions and product support services, is moving its Queen City center to SouthLake Crossing, at 14401 Carowinds Blvd.

That site once contained a 40,000-square-foot John Deere research and development facility, which was demolished to accommodate the two-story, 76,899-square-foot building that will house iQor. The company is moving from 2801 W. Tyvola Road, where Charlotte-based retailer Belk recently signed a 15-year lease to consolidate its headquarters.

Chris Skibinski and Henry Lobb of Avison Young leased the building on behalf of the landlord, real estate investment firm SilverCap Partners. Mike Fahey and Mark Decherd of CBRE represented iQor. SilverCap Partners purchased the sitefor $4.1 million last year.

iQor has signed a 10-year lease at SouthLake Crossing and is anticipated to open at its new address this month.

The southwest Charlotte center is projected to accommodate 100 more agent and supervisor positions, adding to iQor’s existing 1,000 agents in Charlotte, which is the company’s largest call center, according to a statement from iQor.

iQor has operated a call center in Charlotte since 1988. 

• Like 1