The Good News Report

atlrvr

Or got fired.

They've also opened a new office in the University area so they can start to pull employees from different areas. Everyone in South Charlotte/Northern SC at this point has either worked at RV or known someone that has worked there.

Hell, I worked here. It was awful.

A friend of mine is looking to get a job there....its that bad? Should i steer her away?

A friend of mine is looking to get a job there....its that bad? Should i steer her away?

I mean you can make good money if you're really good at selling on the phone. You generally have a crappy schedule though. I worked 3-10pm Saturday to Wednesday...and I had a better schedule than a lot of people.

Most people don't last more than a few months, either because they get fired for not meeting the goals that change every month to keep anyone from gaming the rules or they quit because it is just a terrible work environment.

If you're friend is not working in sales, then it is a great job. They'll work you to death, but they also teach you a lot of really valuable skills that are very transferrable to other businesses. Two of my coworkers also came from there (not from sales) and they have been great asssets to the company.

I'd choose just about anything over working in sales at RV again.

Very nice finance / tech score for Charlotte: AIG to open technology center in CLT, creating 230 jobs

AIG expects to launch the new operation in 2014, being fully staffed by 2017. Activities at the center will include the design, development, testing and deployment of software supporting various insurance functions that include underwriting, sales and marketing, digital channels, risk selection, risk rating, claims adjudication and claims payment.

“We are looking forward to growing our capabilities in Charlotte,” said Robert Dickie, AIG’s chief operations and systems officer. “The combination of a highly skilled workforce and a focus on economic growth in North Carolina supports our goals of developing world-class IT products and services to support our business and our customers.”

Salaries will vary by job function, but the average annual payroll for the new jobs will be more than $100,000.

http://charlottechamber.com/index.php?src=news&refno=4852&category=Economic+Development+News

• Like 2

Sounds like AIG would be the perfect tenant in the Portman tower to me. Especially given the time frame for when they want to fill all the jobs.

Guy from CBJ says that they will be taking existing space. :-( Fully staffed by 2017. 

Boeing could select multiple sites for assembling different parts of the plane instead of one site. This increases the chances of NC getting a piece of the action. Logistically this bodes well for states that have multiple cities bidding. North Carolina is such a state with Charlotte, Greensboro and Kinston which received requests from Boeing.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/blog/2013/12/boeing-plant-could-be-split-into.html

Keer Group, a Chinese yarn maker, is planning to bring a manufacturing facility to Indian Land.  They plan on hiring about 501 people over the next 5 years.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/12/16/4549380/chinese-executive-says-hes-bringing.html#.Uq9dhnazKpg

So a Chinese yarn maker in Indian Trail walks into a bar...

• Like 1

does union county even have money left to lure businesses in? financially it sounds like they're due an implosion. 

I'd heard before that they're 2nd in debt per capita in the state because of all the residential growth and the new schools/infrastructure required to accommodate that growth. Having low taxes and little corporate tax base seems like it would be pretty difficult to take on hundreds of millions in debt and repay it.

• Like 1