The Good News Report

atlrvr

Sounds like Electrolux is bringing another 810 jobs in. Not too shabby at all!

It would be cool for them to have shuttle buses to Light Rail. It'd suck for Cabaruss to score most of those new employees as residents. I can imagine lots of leakage to Concord/Harrisburg.

It would be cool for them to have shuttle buses to Light Rail. It'd suck for Cabaruss to score most of those new employees as residents. I can imagine lots of leakage to Concord/Harrisburg.

It would be even cooler if they sold all their current offices and signed up as a tenant for a new building uptown  :whistling:  :dontknow:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Cardinal Innovations to create a service center and add 80 jobs to the metro area. The facility will be off Mallard Creek Road: http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2014/01/07/cardinal-innovations-to-add-charlotte-service.html

Charlotte listed #5 as a top city for job seekers in 2014: http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/morning-edition/2014/01/charlotte-named-a-top-city-for-job-seekers-in-2014.html?ana=RSS&s=article_search&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter. Good to see Charlotte make these dime a dozen lists again. 

Also, Charlotte metro area's unemployment rate has now dipped to 6.9%. Granted, there are a lot of factors for that number and it doesn't really acknowledge the "true" unemployment rate, but still nice to see the official percentage drop. 

Edited by wend28
  • Like 1

I'm so happy that Charlotte has been able to keep its momentum from the financial institutions and translate it into overall growth from the city.  It's great to see development outside the city and redevelopment within the city to grow a more cohesive and lively urban area.  I love this city.

I don't really have anything else to contribute other than my warm and fuzzy feelings.

• Like 4

Also, Charlotte metro area's unemployment rate has now dipped to 6.9%. Granted, there are a lot of factors for that number and it doesn't really acknowledge the "true" unemployment rate, but still nice to see the official percentage drop. 

I always hate that the newspaper dances around what the most important thing is, which is job creation.  In Nov (which it what was reported yesterday), Mecklenburg County added 2,500 jobs, and saw its labor force deline by 600 people.  The creation of jobs far outweighed the decline in labor force for the large improvement in the unemployment rate, but both are factors for the improvement.

Curreny Mecklenburg employment is 469,800 (the highest # ever), which is substantially higher then the pre-recession peak of 443,500 which was in October 2008.

Washington DC economist notes Charlotte should be a strong growth economy on par with Raleigh and Austin over next few years.   Predicts Mecklenburg county will be 1.3m people by 2040.   Other positive is that there is evidence that city has been diversifying its economy (this last one makes me particularly happy).   

Negative is still higher unemployment than many other places.   Just speculating, but I would assume that may be partly a result of attracting large influx of people from other cities who are seeking jobs .

Source: Observer

1.3m people by 2040 seems to be a bit low. Aren't we floating at 1 million now? I know growth will begin to plateau out in the future, but I also think Meck would be way past that number by 2040.

Meck hit 1 million in the second half of last year.

You know, I thought that seemed off when I read that.   Does anyone think its a typo and the author meant 2.3m  :D

• 3 weeks later...

Boeing incentives scorecard:

SC: $1.5 billion

MO: $1.7 billion

WA: $8.7 billion (per http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303722104579242612164575226?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTWhatsNewsCollection )

Sorry about the self quote but I thought it was interesting how far out of range NC was with incentives for Charlotte and Raleigh ($780 million and $883 million respectively), yet they were willing to offer a very strong $2.5 billion of incentives for the Transpark site.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/02/05/4665270/nc-proposed-up-to-25-b-in-incentives.html#.UvKEAbRPaGU

Based on the Charlotte and GSO numbers alone I would have assumed that Commerce was either incompetent or ideologically opposed to incentives. However, the stratospheric figure for the Transpark (which has almost none of what Boeing needed -- none of the NC sites made it to the shortlist) makes me lean towards incompetence.

Sorry about the self quote but I thought it was interesting how far out of range NC was with incentives for Charlotte and Raleigh ($780 million and $883 million respectively), yet they were willing to offer a very strong $2.5 billion of incentives for the Transpark site.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/02/05/4665270/nc-proposed-up-to-25-b-in-incentives.html#.UvKEAbRPaGU

Based on the Charlotte and GSO numbers alone I would have assumed that Commerce was either incompetent or ideologically opposed to incentives. However, the stratospheric figure for the Transpark (which has almost none of what Boeing needed -- none of the NC sites made it to the shortlist) makes me lean towards incompetence.

Rural lawmakers probably believe we could pony up the money ourselves and not on silly things like lightraild...