The Good News Report

atlrvr

Somehow this has been missed, so I'll repost.  Charlotte was awarded the new VA Medical Center over Gastonia.  It is a $150 to $200 million, 300,000 square foot facility that will be built adjacent to the Billy Graham Library off Tyvola Rd.  I can't find the article right now, but I recall the employment numbers to be around 450 jobs.  It's a decent looking building, to boot!  Here's the link to the VA site: http://www.salisbury.va.gov/features/Contract_Awarded_for_new_Charlotte_HCC.asp

200 jobs at KenCord BioTherapeutics. Looks like sales and manufacturing type jobs.

Southwest Charlotte.

What's interesting is that these jobs are coming from a startup that received a cash infusion from foreign investors, with the potential for more jobs as well... Startups are something Charlotte needs a lot more of and less poaching of jobs from other areas.

Also, in other Good News, Charlotte metro's unemployment rate is down to 8.3%.

• Like 2

File these under "speculation"

-Gildan activewear is already considering adding a second plant in Salisbury even before the first is up and running. I don't know if it was ever posted here, but Gildan is putting the finishing touches on a 200 worker production facility in Rowan and is considering adding a second with 184 workers.

-Lancaster county is in the running for a 500 worker manufacturing plant. The project name is Project Vino, and is potentially a textile machinery plant.

Perhaps we are seeing new signs of life in the local textile industry, ostensibly due to the rising cost of labor in China.

-Gildan activewear is already considering adding a second plant in Salisbury even before the first is up and running. I don't know if it was ever posted here, but Gildan is putting the finishing touches on a 200 worker production facility in Rowan and is considering adding a second with 184 workers.

-Lancaster county is in the running for a 500 worker manufacturing plant. The project name is Project Vino, and is potentially a textile machinery plant.

Perhaps we are seeing new signs of life in the local textile industry, ostensibly due to the rising cost of labor in China.

Just worth noting that Guildan may build their second plant in Mocksville instead.  It's good for the area either way but it would be in the Triad's CSA. 

Take it for what it's worth, but yesterday's announcement appears to be one of a few more this month per Charlote EconDev's Twitter feed this AM:

We kicked off JOBtober with a nice announcement yesterday for KenCord BioTherapeutics. Stay tuned for several more this month! - JE

• Like 1

Gildans NYC showroom (why do u need to see blank tees, sweatshirts and socks is beyond me)

Is next door to my office, maybe ill make some friends and ask.

Just worth noting that Guildan may build their second plant in Mocksville instead. It's good for the area either way but it would be in the Triad's CSA.

Gildan is actually looking at building 2 new plants in NC in addition to the one nearing completion in Salisbury. I took the article to mean one of the new plants would likely go to Salisbury while the other one would go to the Triad. Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 1

This may finally be a banner year for the ACC in football. They have three teams in the Top 15 with Clemson ranked #3 and Florida State #6 in the Coaches poll (FSU/Clemson have a game in Clemson in 2 weeks). Still a lot of football left, especially with several other undefeated teams, but this year's ACC Title game in Charlotte could be for one of the slots in the BCS title game.

This may finally be a banner year for the ACC in football. They have three teams in the Top 15 with Clemson ranked #3 and Florida State #6 in the Coaches poll (FSU/Clemson have a game in Clemson in 2 weeks). Still a lot of football left, especially with several other undefeated teams, but this year's ACC Title game in Charlotte could be for one of the slots in the BCS title game.

Future ACC member Louisville is also having a great year.

I am no fan of the ACC, but it is hard to deny that they will be one of the best positioned conferences going forward.

^^^Add to that a large Chinese heavy equipment manufacturer is setting up its North American HQ in Lincoln county with an eye toward assembling heavy equipment and possibly lawn equipment in 5 years. Initially the move will bring 40 jobs, however if an assembly operation opens, expect the numbers to reach the hundreds.

Forgive me, but I am much too lazy at the moment to post a link.

P.S. Salisbury did indeed land a second Gildan factory.

Edited by cltbwimob