The Good News Report

atlrvr

CBJ article today reminded me of the 1000+ jobs MetLife plans on adding here. 500 this year 800 next year with possibly even more expansion in the future.

Any possibility Portman, crescent or other office towers get any MetLife jobs or did uptown miss the boat for MetLife jobs?

all in Ballyworld :-(

• 2 weeks later...

From Center City Partners "state of the center city" presentation to City Council, per the Observer.

Smith said there are currently four projects considering uptown. They total 635,000 square-feet and would bring 3,889 jobs.
Uptown has a 9.1 percent vacancy rate, Smith said. The vacancy rate dropped by 2.3 percent in 2012, the group said.

Also, it was mentioned that 2 projects totaling 2,550 jobs didn't locate Uptown because of lack of space.  MetLife was one, the other was undisclosed.

Of the possible new companies, I'm hoping for AIG and Nomura.  I think Nomura adding 300 jobs was almost a done deal until the CEO got caught up in a scandal and resigned which was around the time they were examining their commitment to a US presence.  They are on more stable footing now.

In other news, SCOR, the new French owner of the old Transamerica Re business, which just relocated to BofA Plaza bought a large competitor based in Kansas City.  They have 110 jobs there, and per the release said they plan to sustain both offices, though given Charlotte is the US HQ, maybe some positions get added here.

Also, anecdotally, I hear BofA and Wells are adding a lot of full time and contract workers here, if a wide range of corporate type positions (that have nothing to do with resolving their residential mortgage disasters). 

From Center City Partners "state of the center city" presentation to City Council, per the Observer.

Also, it was mentioned that 2 projects totaling 2,550 jobs didn't locate Uptown because of lack of space.  MetLife was one, the other was undisclosed.

Of the possible new companies, I'm hoping for AIG and Nomura.  I think Nomura adding 300 jobs was almost a done deal until the CEO got caught up in a scandal and resigned which was around the time they were examining their commitment to a US presence.  They are on more stable footing now.

In other news, SCOR, the new French owner of the old Transamerica Re business, which just relocated to BofA Plaza bought a large competitor based in Kansas City.  They have 110 jobs there, and per the release said they plan to sustain both offices, though given Charlotte is the US HQ, maybe some positions get added here.

Also, anecdotally, I hear BofA and Wells are adding a lot of full time and contract workers here, if a wide range of corporate type positions (that have nothing to do with resolving their residential mortgage disasters). 

Any idea if the mentioned 635k of office space is in addition to the one that is set to go for the Westin parking deck?

Not necessarily a development, but good news none-the-less.  These are the kind of polls I like Charlotte being near the top of!

https://career.uncc.edu/news/charlotte-ranks-2-us-job-seeking-grads

My favorite quote, and something I hope we can at least attempt to maintain:

“Charlotte’s composite cost of living, at 94.1% of the national average, is lower than all but seven other major metro U.S. cities.”

Any idea if the mentioned 635k of office space is in addition to the one that is set to go for the Westin parking deck?

That 635k sf is how much office space the 4 un-named companies would lease if they decide to relocate/expand to Charlotte.

Wells Fargo is to HQ their East Coast food and agribusiness lending unit in Charlotte.  Article says about two dozen to work for unit with most based in Charlotte.  

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/06/06/4090300/wells-fargo-picks-charlotte-to.html

The unfortunate part is the last name of the guy who leads it is "Crapo" and I fully expect manure/fertilizer jokes to follow...  :whistling:

Edited by Urbanity

What do you think the chance of Wells Fargo moving their main HQ to Charlotte some day is?  Perhaps the Condo Tower for the Duke Energy Center could be completed, and it could be renamed Wells Fargo Corporate Center or something like that. 

Edited by CltFlyer

What do you think the chance of Wells Fargo moving their main HQ to Charlotte some day is?  Perhaps the Condo Tower for the Duke Energy Center could be completed, and it could be renamed Wells Fargo Corporate Center or something like that. 

Very, very, very likely*.  

* Disclaimer:   Of course that depends on an earthquake dropping San Fran completely into the ocean.  They are not leaving California in our lifetime otherwise.

Very, very, very likely*.  

* Disclaimer:   Of course that depends on an earthquake dropping San Fran completely into the ocean.  They are not leaving California in our lifetime otherwise.

Why would it be very likely that Wells Fargo may move their main HQ here from San Francisco?

I'm not suggesting they move any jobs or vacate buildings, I was just wonder what were the chances of them calling CLT their HQ and taking away the stupid "east coast" title.

Never say never but I wouldn't bet on it. Not unless the Wells board for some reason became filled with Charlotteans.

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently with Friday's officially opening of United Technology Corp's Aerospace HQ in Charlotte, we get a bit of crowing rights:  The world’s “largest aerospace systems provider” is now based in Charlotte.

I'm pretty excited to see us attract these type of businesses and Divisional HQ's particularly near the airport.  It offers the dual benefit of increasing the diversity of our workforce into an important sector while cementing CLT's strength as an important hub not just for an airline, but business in general.

• Like 1

Did the airport have anything to do with UTC choosing the HQ at the colesium area? Out of curiosity.

Every time im in that area, it's a ghost town. It's landscaped so perfectly & all the trees make me feel a little claustrophobic (and I love trees; the more the merrier; I just feel like im in a forest by myself over there. I lived there as a kid when my grandmother had cancer so perhaps my impression is effected by that)

• Like 1

Did the airport have anything to do with UTC choosing the HQ at the colesium area? Out of curiosity.

Every time im in that area, it's a ghost town. It's landscaped so perfectly & all the trees make me feel a little claustrophobic (and I love trees; the more the merrier; I just feel like im in a forest by myself over there. I lived there as a kid when my grandmother had cancer so perhaps my impression is effected by that)

UTC bought Goodrich Corp last year (or thereabouts). Goodrich already had it's HQ over near the Coliseum. UTC decided to move this particular unit out of Connecticut when they purchased Goodrich. I would assume they simply didn't care to re-evaluate the corp. location of Goodrich. By the way, they chose to move that divisional HQ out of Ct for political reasons. I think the reasoning went something like this...we'll have more clout in Congress if we place a divisional HQ in a different state. Now congressmen and senators in CT and NC are looking out for UTC interests. I would assume they've done the same with other divisions within their company. Makes sense. So, if there was a reason to locate near the airport, it would have been reasons that Goodrich considered back when they moved here, not really a UTC decision. BTW, even though it's great that UTC decided to put a divisional HQ here, ultimately Charlotte lost one of our Fortune 500 companies when UTC bought Goodrich. About the same as Wells buying Wachovia...I'd rather have both F500 HQ's than to have "crowing rights" over having the biggest concentration of whatever.

By the way, they chose to move that divisional HQ out of Ct for political reasons. I think the reasoning went something like this...we'll have more clout in Congress if we place a divisional HQ in a different state. Now congressmen and senators in CT and NC are looking out for UTC interests. 

Are you saying this based on specific factual knowledge or are you just offering supposition?   

I'd rather have both F500 HQ's than to have "crowing rights" over having the biggest concentration of whatever.

Agreed.  But that wasn't the option.  So I'll take the crowing rights over the Divisional HQ of the largest aerospace systems provider being in Charlotte.

Are you saying this based on specific factual knowledge or are you just offering supposition?

That was in the Charlotte Observer back when they announced the HQ move to Charlotte.   

Agreed.  But that wasn't the option.  So I'll take the crowing rights over the Divisional HQ of the largest aerospace systems provider being in Charlotte.

I agree it's better to have the lesser than neither, I just don't think it's worth bragging about given the circumstances (as in the city bragging about it).

Couple of things:

1) The city and county within the last 2 weeks have met in closed session to approve incentives for a relocation and/or expansion. No idea who the company they are targeting is, but related (or not),

2) MetLife Auto and Home insurance headquarters is supposedly being relocated out of Rhode Island to a lower cost area where MetLife already has a large presence.  Charlotte is apparantly on the short list to get the unit HQ.  I think there are 600 or so jobs related to that move.

3) AIG has already been mentioned as possibly moving some jobs to Charlotte (so this is nothing new) but expect we are getting closer to them deciding where/when/how many,

4) Barclays Investment Banking group is rumored to be looking at relocating some back-office jobs out of NY.  I assume Charlotte would be considered, but oddly, we've not been successful in getting these types of jobs previously (Raleigh, Jacksonville, Tampa, Salt Lake City, have all been winners over Charlotte.  I consider them must-wins as they diversify out financial services base and would be hundreds of jobs paying ~ 100k/year.

• Like 1

If Charlotte were to get the MetLife headquarters, it would really offset the loss of the higher paying tech jobs that went to Raleigh.  But it is sadly the more likely thing that they would go to B-tyne and not uptown.

Regardless, it is really good news to be considered for that type of relocation activity, which hopefully will further diversify our job base. 

• 2 weeks later...

Some more:

1.  Coroplast (a German maker of automotive tape) is buying a spec building in York County, and will be employing 150 people.  Glad to see more German investment, more jobs, and York Co will use the proceeds to selling their spec building to build another one.

2.  GIZ is a German federal agency used to export German training systems around the world.  They just opened their first US office in Charlotte.  Probably not more than a couple of direct jobs, but symbolically it seems big.  I would love for one day the southeast US German consulate to relocate from Atlanta to Charlotte.

http://www.giz.de/en/mediacenter/13952.html

3.  Impact Resource Group is relocating its Dayton, OH operations to Charlotte.  Not sure what type of jobs they are or where they are going, but they leased 12,000 sq ft in Dayton, so maybe 60 jobs?

• 2 weeks later...