The Good News Report

atlrvr

According to the CBJ, the Philip Morris sight in Concord has a serious suitor...

Does anyone have any info/guesses on the nature of this project?

My hope is either an auto assembly plant or a turbine engine assembly plant.

I'll tell you what building I'd like to see occupied... the old Merita bakery off 85.  It used to get rail service back in the day and it'd be nice to have another customer in that direction.

Maybe the Philip Morris site will become the next Tesla Motors Assembly line.  I don't have an inside line, but they seem very interested in pushing their product in NC.

Had that thought as well, but I can't imagine Tesla needs another plant. The demand for their product isn't that high and the current facility can apparently accommodate much more capacity.

• 3 weeks later...

Sort of random thought here... Isn't it odd that we haven't seen any major job announcements for this area in quite some time? Perhaps it's more because McCrory doesn't want to be like Bev (e.g. be here for every announcement, throw out a press release etc.). Or the state politics in NC is really putting a damper on the enthusiasm of businesses relocating/expanding in our city and state? The last six months just seem to be a real change of pace, especially after the whole MetLife deal...

Edited by wend28

Sort of random thought here... Isn't it odd that we haven't seen any major job announcements for this area in quite some time? Perhaps it's more because McCrory doesn't want to be like Bev (e.g. be here for every announcement, throw out a press release etc.). Or the state politics in NC is really putting a damper on the enthusiasm of businesses relocating/expanding in our city and state? The last six months just seem to be a real change of pace, especially after the whole MetLife deal...

There have been _very_ few announcements statewide since MetLife (which was primarily negotiated by the Purdue administration)

There are still some job announcements around the state in the last several months.  I do agree that the Charlotte metro region is not as well represented in these announcement as opposed to the past couple of years.  And rest assured Pat Mac will attend a jobs creation press conference.

The site from the State of NC website is a good location to gather information on job expansions throughout the state.

http://www.nccommerce.com/news/press-releases

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/08/20/4250098/silocone-parts-maker-to-bring.html

I mean it's good news that there are some new jobs coming to the area but I don't know how much of an impact it is for the Charlotte area because these jobs are in York...

I for one really think the political issues in North Carolina are really hurting North Carolina's marketability, and credibility as a good place to conduct business... As the article states they were looking at North Carolina to place this factory but obviously I'm not sure if that means Charlotte or somewhere else in the state...

File this under "rumor" but if anyone knows about the recently opened Clearwater Paper plant in Shelby, it's serviced by CSX... and I heard at work that they're so happy with their service they want to locate another plant on the Charlotte subdivision somewhere.  To be fair, that stretches from Bostic to Monroe so it might not effect Charlotte at all, assuming it even happens.

Edited by TotalLamer

There is a somewhat cryptic tweet on the Charlotte Econ Dev's twitter account that says there may be an economic development announcement on Monday at their BOA meeting. Anyone have insider knowledge or theories?

Per some follow up Tweets, this was only related to the Carowinds $50M expansion that was announced yesterday. Definitely good news for the park though. And it will create some more jobs. 

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting piece from the WSJ. Apparently the Charlotte area has the 4th highest number of job openings per 10,000 people. What may be even more note worthy is that most of the other metros in the list have much lower unemployment rates than Charlotte. So we know people still keep moving here in droves, so what gives? Everyone just moving here to collect unemployment checks? One can ponder though... http://on.wsj.com/17KyfO8

While I don't want to be explicitly political I can't help but notice how quiet this thread has been lately.

This might be a partial explanation...

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2013/09/north-carolinas-national-image-declines.html

Granted this is just one guys rant but I would have never thought North Carolina would be included in the short list of "crazies" who want "their own theocratic country, with no taxes or environmental legislation, no voting rights, and no social progress past 1850" and "aren’t ready for a black president, aren’t ready for gay marriage, aren’t ready for women to be paid the same as men, aren’t ready for universal healthcare, can’t handle nominal, safety-based gun control, keep trying to restrict our reproductive rights and our voting rights".  He goes on.

... that is I wouldn't have thought so at this time last year.  It is one guys rant but it's one in a growing list of articles to bash NC recently.

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/205323/texas-attorney-general-candidate-is-preparing-the-state-to-secede/

• Like 1