The Good News Report

atlrvr

I had posted an article from the other day about Europe in general, but specifically a German company, (re)locating to the US for cheap natural gas, the price of which has fallen drastically in the US.  Does that benefit Charlotte though?  Was hoping someone knowledgeable in this field would comment.

Googled this slideshow, slide 13 shows the Eastern seaboard to have the US's largest supply, second largest the gulf coast.  As an Eastern transportation hub I think this has true opportunity to bring firms here and may be the reason behind what we're already seeing.  In other news Duke opened a state of the art [sic] natural gas plant in Rockingham Co. yesterday, so we're already hauling this stuff in from WVA and PA in some quantity.

Edited by nowensone

I had posted an article from the other day about Europe in general, but specifically a German company, (re)locating to the US for cheap natural gas, the price of which has fallen drastically in the US.  Does that benefit Charlotte though?  Was hoping someone knowledgeable in this field would comment.

Googled this slideshow, slide 13 shows the Eastern seaboard to have the US's largest supply, second largest the gulf coast.  As an Eastern transportation hub I think this has true opportunity to bring firms here and may be the reason behind what we're already seeing.  In other news Duke opened a state of the art [sic] natural gas plant in Rockingham Co. yesterday, so we're already hauling this stuff in from WVA and PA in some quantity.

This could turn around to bite some companies in the ass. Many companies are mad at the DOE right now because they've spent hundreds of millions of dollars setting up facilities in the U.S. because of the cheap natural gas and the DOE has recently approved several natural gas export facilities. 

U.S. natural gas is cheap right now because it is largely locked into this market. There is a surplus of gas and no way to send it out. In other parts of the world, natural gas sells for many times more than it does in the States. If these export facilities open, then suddenly it is subject to world market pricing, making the investments manufacturing companies made based on cheap U.S. natural gas a major blunder.

Many of the companies complaining the loudest are also the companies that complain the loudest about government regulation interfering with free-enterprise, so I find it funny in an ironic way. "You stay out of our business unless it negatively impacts us, then when need you to restrict another industry's profitability to protect us!"

• Like 1

^ So we haven't actually stumbled upon some new vast reserves, it's just low demand/high supply?

No, we have vast reserves, they're just locked into the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. We don't have NG export facilities right now, so the domestic price of NG is much cheaper than the price of NG on the world market.

Now that NG export facilities have been approved by the Department of Energy, our natural gas will be subject to the world market price. All our natural gas flooding the market will probably drive the world market price down, but it will increase the cost in the U.S. They will take years to build, but once they're open NG suppliers will be looking at hefty profits. 

Today, gas barely sells at a profitable level.

• 2 weeks later...

"We're building a 50 floor office building next door and a 40 floor mixed-use work of art on top of the Goodyear"... then I woke up.

LOL, I had a similar dream when I passed out on the subway into work this morning.

Maybe the city is going to buy a lot of Bitcoin mining servers since we ran out of gold 2 centuries ago.

I am tentatively excited, but I can't help but feel that it is just hype for some mediocre jobs announcement that comes no where near enought to bring our 9.2% unemployment into full employment range. 

A major HQ relocation would be amazing, though.  

Pactera, an IT firm from China, will base one of its units here in Charlotte. 200 jobs will be filled at it's SouthPark area offices. Best part? Average salary is over $100,000!

CBJ: http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/outside_the_loop/2013/04/pactera-to-bring-200-jobs-us.html

EDIT: I see Urbanity beat me to it.

Edited by wend28

I wish these companies would put offices uptown! sigh

agreed, southpark and btyne have been on fire lately, you'd figure the new talent would be aimed where the entertainment is, or at least within a stones throw from light rail

Right now I think it's all about space availability. As of last February the vacancy rate in Uptown was under 10%, and an awful lot of that is going to be small spaces scattered about. Full floors are a precious commodity.

Hopefully we hear from Crescent and the like about finalizing some new uptown office projects soon (preferably large :fun: ).

Pactera, an IT firm from China, will base one of its units here in Charlotte. 200 jobs will be filled at it's SouthPark area offices. Best part? Average salary is over $100,000!

CBJ: http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/outside_the_loop/2013/04/pactera-to-bring-200-jobs-us.html

EDIT: I see Urbanity beat me to it.

This hits a five-fecta.

- 200 Jobs averaging $100k plus salaries

- US Headquarters

- Asian Investment

- IT jobs

- Financial Services focused

I think the reality is most of these jobs will be consultants that work on-site at a client so the amount of office space is probably not huge, but this is definitely becoming a niche-market here. 

• Like 1