The Good News Report

atlrvr

I wish these companies would put offices uptown! sigh

Except that they were already in South Park so it's not like a new company coming in from the outside and choosing a new location.

As tozmervo noted there is not a lot of continuous space in the core.  if we had a developer with chutzpah to build a speculative  building (or Daniel Levine to build what he promised) we would see more in the center.

I really see South Park becoming a mini Tysons Corner area (Northern Virginia outisde of DC). I really think they need to build it up. It is not that far away from uptown. I really feel if they could try to add some sort of light rail connection to this area it would really boom; there would then be not a lot of need for more retail in uptown because it would be very well connected to uptown...

• Like 1

I don't think Southpark will have any density issues. And the developments and future developments are fairly urban. Plus, I think southpark has any option of growing other than urban developments. While not transit oriented development, it's urban development, walkable & transit friendly. Love the bus system there.

If South Park is Charlotte's Tyson Corner or Arlington (Ballston to Rosslyn), then it needs to extend light rail to that area as NOVA has to foster transit-oriented development and density. 

Agreed, and would seem doable given it's relative closeness to UT in terms of cost, routing perhaps another issue with existing neighborhoods, watershed and topography of the area.

Many US cities have a second "downtown" that is more retail oriented but still has high-rises, we have a [somewhat] unique opportunity here though in not having ours an exit off of an interstate, feels more tucked away and a true destination/pleasant surprise.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/power_city/2013/04/bill-to-end-nc-renewable-energy.html

Huge win for Charlotte as an energy hubs status IMO. The renewable energy requirements are progressive and attractive to energy leaders. It is what just recently brought AREVA here, and hopefully others in the future due to the growing local talent. I honestly thought the requirements would be voted out.

• Like 1

I fully expected this to be repealed. 

Glad the bill was rejected. The incentives have done exactly what they were intended to do. Encourage the use of solar panels until solar prices are cheap enough to be viable without subsidy. Solar today costs a fraction of what it did even 5 years ago.  Solar panels have followed relatively the same cost curve as most major consumer electronics (computers, televisions, cell phones, etc). Everything is working as planned and incentives should not be necessary in a few short years.

It takes years and billions of dollars to set up efficient manufacturing plants, supply chains, and distribution networks. Those are finally in place and getting more efficient every day (and so are the panels).

Renewable energy is yet another battle conservatives will lose in the long run.

^Agreed about the relief that the Energy Renewables bill was defeated.  It really would have been an unnecessary crutch for the region trying to establish a reputation about being an energy hub.

In other small but good news:  CBJ reports that American Sprinkle,  a manufacturer of candy sprinkles, non-pareils, colored sugar and sugar shapes will relocate its business to Charlotte from Pine Brook, N.J..  It's a family owned business and they expect to relocate a number of their employees so not a big economic announcement, but I'll take any company moving themselves to Charlotte!

Edited by Urbanity
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

File this under something to keep an eye on... AIG is looking at a relocation of several hundred jobs from NY to less expensive cities (ala MetLife). It's down to Charlotte, Atlanta, and Kansas City (MO). I get the feeling that this isn't the end of large and well known (for better or worse) Northeast companies looking to shed expenses by moving south. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/print-edition/2013/05/03/aig-eyes-atlanta-for-relocation-and.html

Is it possible a skyscraper be thrown up for say AIG or any other company looking to relocate? Wasn't 300 South Tryon put on hold until they found a main tenant? is it possible to throw up a scraper if for example AIG were to select us? Or would that be too long of a wait?

Its amazing to me that Ballantyne is happy with the "Build it and they will Come" mentality. But we cannot get someone downtown to go spec. Its obvious that large companies have 1000 reasons to relocate here, financing shouldn't be that difficult! 

Its amazing to me that Ballantyne is happy with the "Build it and they will Come" mentality. But we cannot get someone downtown to go spec. Its obvious that large companies have 1000 reasons to relocate here, financing shouldn't be that difficult! 

Wasn't someone recently talking about the probable resurrection of 300 South Tryon (in some fashion)? And then there's the "transformative" project on the Goodyear property that we all keep refreshing our browsers every 30 seconds to hear something about. 

Wasn't someone recently talking about the probable resurrection of 300 South Tryon (in some fashion)? And then there's the "transformative" project on the Goodyear property that we all keep refreshing our browsers every 30 seconds to hear something about.

I'm glad it's not just me refreshing every 30 seconds every weekday :D

• Like 3

Yea I know, but my point is it needs to be Already under construction, instead of under consideration. 

JP Morgan Chase is moving their offices from Ballantyne to Uptown (Hearst Tower).  WHile they talk about some small expansion - I think it signals a dedication to CLT and brings the finance jobs into the core!

I think this will only aid the ability to attract more finance companies (and companies that want access to finance) to Uptown.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/bank_notes/2013/05/jpmorgan-chase-to-open-commercial.html

Edited by Urbanity

CBJ article today reminded me of the 1000+ jobs MetLife plans on adding here. 500 this year 800 next year with possibly even more expansion in the future.

Any possibility Portman, crescent or other office towers get any MetLife jobs or did uptown miss the boat for MetLife jobs?