Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

I'd be very surprised to see any kind of discount store in a high income area like the Met.

There's a Big Lots right next to Pineville and two exits from Ballantyne.  Not everything they carry is discount merchandise.  Although I do agree it isn't likely.  Just throwing an idea out.

Edited by AuLukey

Bed Bath's current proto is 25k, so it's not a stretch for them to go into 21k, especially given the nature of soft goods retailers slowly downsizing over time as the internet/Amazon continues to take market share. They just did a store in Holly Springs that's 23k.

Big Lots would never be able to afford the rent to go into the Met, so I'd give that a 0% probability. I don't think it necessarily has to be a single 21k tenant either. Could be Ulta & Petco/Petsmart combo or something similar.    

Just finished up working for BB&B after a long time and had heard the possibility of a store at Midtown a few years ago.  I think the situations holding them back are 1) population near that store, 2) proximity of the South Blvd. store and not wanting to pull from that (this is why they haven't put a store in Rock Hill), 3) accessibility.  However, I have been one of the "urban" stores in Bulkhead, and it is tucked into a VERY crowded space and it is always busy.  The correlation to that area of Atlanta and Charlotte are not fair.  As the population of Uptown increases and the surrounding Southend and Cherry/Plaza Midwood, the possibility of an urban BB&B will hopefully get to a reality.

• 2 weeks later...

(Yes I have been busy on Accela today)

BJ's submitted their 1st plans for their space at the met today

Project Description:   BJ's Membership Club
Building expansion, addition of loading ramp, delineation of tenant space.

Not really sure what they're expanding?

Edited by Jayvee

The building at the corner of Kings and Baxter simply listed as "Office and Parking" on the development map has very quickly broken ground and is moving fast from the looks of it. This is not the large mixed use building that will be on the North side of Baxter. Can someone remind us of exactly what this is, I don't believe there's been a rendering. 

The building at the corner of Kings and Baxter simply listed as "Office and Parking" on the development map has very quickly broken ground and is moving fast from the looks of it. This is not the large mixed use building that will be on the North side of Baxter. Can someone remind us of exactly what this is, I don't believe there's been a rendering. 

Its a Medical Office Building, there is a Rendering somewhere in this thread... I'll see if I can find it.

It's supposed to be an urgent care center, yes?

• 1 month later...

A popcorn flavor shop is opening in the Met. Not sure how it will do, but I think it's a fun concept.

http://charlotterestauranttraffic.com/ballantyne/tastebuds-popcorn-coming-to-midtown/#.VP4Xw4HF_mY

I went to their Ballantyne location, which according to their site is moving to a larger space in Ballantyne, and I thought it was very tasty.

Worst, Logo, Ever

I'm redesigning the logo tonight and sending it to them, for free, don't care, I just want them to have a less atrocious logo.

Please hurry.  I'm not sure I'll be able to sleep tonight after seeing that.  

edit:  100 posts!?  That only took me 7 years!  

Edited by teeg
  • Like 3

Question: are all those frontages along Kings actual retail spaces like the ones on Charlottetowne containing Revolution, Which Which, and now this popcorn place? I thought for a long time they were just fake storefronts to break up the visual monotony until the first of those other spaces started filling up. They seem the same except some are blocked by benches and landscaping currently.

Edited by nonillogical

Question: are all those frontages along Kings actual retail spaces like the ones on Charlottetowne containing Revolution, Which Which, and now this popcorn place? I thought for a long time they were just fake storefronts to break up the visual monotony until the first of those other spaces started filling up. They seem the same except some are blocked by benches and landscaping currently.

They are not, unfortunately.

Has Levine submitted any plans for his building or are we going to have a vacant parcel that needs rezoning in ten more years?

Nope, hasn't submitted any plans, but the site is up Zoned as high as it really needs already.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at Wendys at Metropolitan yesterday and saw an electrical contractor truck at the door to the (assumed) BJ's. Building doors were open and there were workmen inside and I could see a motorized scissor platform lift vehicle inside and lights were on so there is power and work underway. "Space For Lease" signs on the windows also.

Edited by tarhoosier

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article19097085.html?hootPostID=032524b4c26ea90f5f6a5bc7c4aa2be1

Cherry neighborhood peeps are not fans of Goode properties mixed use redevelopment. They don't like the height and parking deck. I am not sure I even knew about this redevelopment proposal, but it sounds cool. I am not sure I agree with the cherry residents, they say it doesnt "fit" with the neighborhood plans, but for its location it seems like it will basically just be an extension of the Met no?

Edited by Jayvee