Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

I just noticed the gigantic cell tower in the middle of the construction site for apartments between Kings/Cherry/3rd/Charlottetown the other day. Then strangely enough, yesterday it was reported that a guy fell to his death from that tower. I'm surprised this thing hasn't come down yet. It's literally in the middle of the construction site, and there will soon be a building where it is standing. I wonder when that thing is coming down?

I just noticed the gigantic cell tower in the middle of the construction site for apartments between Kings/Cherry/3rd/Charlottetown the other day. Then strangely enough, yesterday it was reported that a guy fell to his death from that tower. I'm surprised this thing hasn't come down yet. It's literally in the middle of the construction site, and there will soon be a building where it is standing. I wonder when that thing is coming down?

I don't think it is, the site plan shows the building going around it and I think I remember there being a wall or fencing built to hide the base. 

Someone posted on here at one point that they knew the family that owns that thing and it generates a huge amount of money for the family annually, so they did not sell. The apartment building will be built around it.

This building is literaply wrapped around that tower. I'm sure they designed it so that maybe the garage is in the most immediate viscinity, but certainly many residents will have a tease of a skyline view interrupted by a buzzing, humming tower. No bueno.

No units look out to the tower, just a hallway. 

Someone posted on here at one point that they knew the family that owns that thing and it generates a huge amount of money for the family annually, so they did not sell. The apartment building will be built around it.

The tower is on the property that Lennar owns. 

That fact they are building an apartment complex with a cell tower in the middle is baffling to me. No way I'd live there if I were an apartment dweller.

I'm just glad that the tower's existence (and unlikelihood of ever being removed) wasn't a complete deterrent to development on that block. We're getting a more retail-heavy apartment project than almost any other on the books right now. Unless my view was directly obstructed or there was noticeable noise, I don't think it would deter me from living there, and it will hide the tower a bit for everyone else.

• 1 month later...

I think this story fits in this thread. 5900 sq ft building being built (for Novant Health), at the corner of Baxter St and S Kings Dr. Should be a nice fill in for the area, this will be across the street (west) from the parking deck being built right, not in that triangle shaped lot?

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/07/goode-properties-to-build-5-900-square-foot.html

Edited by Jayvee

I suppose retail would be too much to hope for on the first floor? After all this will be a pretty prominent corner once the hotel is built (without retail), but we'll have retail facing King farther up the street in the apartment building under construction, and I hope that doesn't stay by itself as an island of pedestrian-oriented storefronts in the area. 

• 1 month later...