Lake Nona - Medical City

scottb411

11 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Heathrow was Jeno Paulucci’s baby (he of Chun King and Jeno’s pizza rolls fame).

He was about a decade ahead of himself, though. Although he did attract AAA’s HQ, he aged too quickly and went back home to Duluth to live out the rest of his days. It started to take off many years later. 

A high-end local grocery chain, Gooding’s, made Heathrow famous for gold shopping carts and a grand piano in their store there (it didn’t last,either, nor did Gooding’s).

I lived near the Flagship Dr. Phillips Store.  Holy hell that was swanky.  My dad to this day whines that Dr. Phillips has been on the decline ever since Winn-Dixie bought Goodings. 

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

A high-end local grocery chain, Gooding’s, made Heathrow famous for gold shopping carts and a grand piano in their store there (it didn’t last,either, nor did Gooding’s).

Were there very many Gooding's Supermarkets located in Central FL? I can't imagine there were very many, but I don't remember the store location we used to go to...  As a kid, I probably wouldn't notice gold shopping carts but I do remember the bakery samples and these giant (slightly creepy) fruit characters hanging from the vaulted ceiling on swings, rocking back and forth.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Were there very many Gooding's Supermarkets located in Central FL? I can't imagine there were very many, but I don't remember the store location we used to go to...  As a kid, I probably wouldn't notice gold shopping carts but I do remember the bakery samples and these giant (slightly creepy) fruit characters hanging from the vaulted ceiling on swings, rocking back and forth.

There were about a dozen (including Brevard and Daytona). Only Heathrow had gold carts - once Publix took over the store, they were history.

6 hours ago, jgardnerucf said:

All over kinda sorta:  1) Original at Mills/Minnesota (absolute sound). 2) Got one on the mountain at Hiawassee/50. 3) Of course the flagship at DP.  4) Current xroads. 5) The OBT/Lancaster was nice. What am I forgetting...

Wasn't there one on Orlando Ave, near Horatio, in Maitland.

14 hours ago, jgardnerucf said:

All over kinda sorta:  1) Original at Mills/Minnesota (absolute sound). 2) Got one on the mountain at Hiawassee/50. 3) Of course the flagship at DP.  4) Current xroads. 5) The OBT/Lancaster was nice. What am I forgetting...

The one on Orlando Ave (WP’s name for Mills) and Minnesota was, I believe, Baggett’s, another local grocer.

The original Gooding’s was the Maitland store (Jim Gooding started it as an IGA).

One of the most famous and successful parts of Gooding’s was the deli/bakery. The top-shelf nature of that actually came from the Daniels’ Fairway Markets. After Fairway sold out (to a wholesaler initially), Gooding’s picked up their deli/bakery prep location at 17/92 and Lake Ave.

On 1/26/2020 at 1:25 AM, jgardnerucf said:

King's Bowling on I-drive

Celebration.  First inside the downtown, then outside were Publix currently operates.

IIRC the Lucky's in Winter Park with itself was a Winn Dixie was actually originally Gooding's.  I heard the same thing about the Winn Dixie in Heathrow on Lake Mary Blvd.

One problem Gooding’s had after Jim Gooding left the business to his kids was that they farmed out site selection to a third-party firm which was apparently clueless about Orlando and other areas.

For example, Lancaster/SOBT and Mason Ave. near Nova Rd. in Daytona were two of the last places you’d put an upscale grocery store.

One thing that always puzzled me was how they missed College Park*/Colonialtown. Both areas have been underserved by grocers for years and whose residents would have killed for a nearby Gooding’s 

*As a kid, College Park had Winn-Dixie, Publix, Food Fair, Fairway and A&P all on Edgewater Drive. Today, only Publix is left (and a Dollar Tree for @JFW657 !).

13 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

There was one on the East side of town somewhere that I remember visiting as a kid when I came down to visit family.

FL 436 south of Curry Ford Rd had one. Also 436 at Red Bug Rd. I can’t remember if the Florida Choice (another Kroger debacle) on University Blvd. went Gooding’s or Publix.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
54 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

I HATE HCA

I had occasion to meet the Frists who were behind the company when I worked in Nashville - they were about as warm and fuzzy as their minion (although they had the good sense to ditch him) Rick Scott. They pretty much sum up everything wrong with for-profit healthcare.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...