Lake Nona - Medical City

scottb411

Don't know where to put this, but I just saw that FAU is having it's dental school plans put on hold. Looks like it is related to the president search issue. Now, to the militants on here, please don't hijack this to become a Anti DeSantis pissing match. 

I am making this post because I am amazing to find out the school was already approved by the Florida board of governors for the state university system. How in the hell did they approve this when there is a dental school already right down the road at Nova? Wasn't UCF rejected years ago because of a "lack of need" in the state?

Edited by shardoon

5 hours ago, shardoon said:

Don't know where to put this, but I just saw that FAU is having it's dental school plans put on hold. Looks like it is related to the president search issue. Now, to the militants on here, please don't hijack this to become a Anti DeSantis pissing match. 

I am making this post because I am amazing to find out the school was already approved by the Florida board of governors for the state university system. How in the hell did they approve this when there is a dental school already right down the road at Nova? Wasn't UCF rejected years ago because of a "lack of need" in the state?

Can we make it about government incompetence? 

17 minutes ago, jack said:

Can we make it about government incompetence? 

I guess you can...... but WTF. UCF had a much more solid plan and at the time, there was only two dental schools in the state, Nova in Ft Lauderdale and UF in Gainesville. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, shardoon said:

its about money and always is.

case in point, after talking to a bunch of people over the years about colleges and professional schools in the area...you learn about things that you wouldn't learn about reading the newspaper or watching the 6 o clock news.  This came up in conversation just the other day with legal professionals that I know that were at a function I was at:  this has to do with FAMU's law school downtown and it's competitor, Barry Law, which is also in Orlando.  FAMU got accreditation almost immediately.  Barry, a private entity, kept getting denied by the ABA for a few years straight.  The then president of the ABA was a Stetson Law grad.  Barry had a night program that was making money, and pulled students from as far as Tampa Bay.  Stetson had plans for a future Tampa location that would offer night classes (nobody knew about this).  So, apparently the nuns hired a big wig antitrust lawyer and threatened litigation and they strong armed the ABA to finally grant them accreditation.  Then, Stetson opened up their night school.  If you ask me, that's a bunch of BS that Stetson got away with doing that.

We already know what USF did to keep UCF out of The Big East, as @spenser1058kept bringing up for years in the sports threads...(RIP).  That was about money too.

Now apply these stories to FAU.

20 hours ago, jrs2 said:

We already know what USF did to keep UCF out of The Big East, as @spenser1058kept bringing up for years in the sports threads...(RIP).  That was about money too.

Nothing more satisfying as someone who attended UCF at the time that was happening to see their plan unravel so quickly to the point were UCF just leapfrogged USF.  I get the satisfaction every time I go to Busch Gardens to see how behind UCF they are.   

Sidenote: I hate to see MOSI start to look dilapidated from the outside. 

1 hour ago, codypet said:

Nothing more satisfying as someone who attended UCF at the time that was happening to see their plan unravel so quickly to the point were UCF just leapfrogged USF.  I get the satisfaction every time I go to Busch Gardens to see how behind UCF they are.   

Sidenote: I hate to see MOSI start to look dilapidated from the outside. 

However, I do have to give them credit for investing heavily in academics and recently got AAU status, which was a coup. Not even FSU has that. 

• Like 1