Waterside District

umterp03

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/09/city-council-not-impressed-developers-residential-tower-plan-waterside#_ga=1.136994489.829525846.1438141595

After reading the article, I can understand why they don't want the tower in that particular location. That said, the city should work to accommodate Cordish in selecting another site nearby (like harbor park). This is exactly the type of development they want in that area, and the only thing I've actually liked from Cordish so far. At the end of the article they seem to open the door to a tower, but it needs to go through the formal process.

Edited by vdogg
  • Like 1

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/09/city-council-not-impressed-developers-residential-tower-plan-waterside#_ga=1.136994489.829525846.1438141595

After reading the article, I can understand why they don't want the tower in that particular location. That said, the city should work to accommodate Cordish in selecting another site nearby (like harbor park). This is exactly the type of development they want in that area, and the only thing I've actually liked from Cordish so far. At the end of the article they seem to open the door to a tower, but it needs to go through the formal process.

I wouldn't mind them demo-ing the parking garage and redo it for that purpose, that way they get the best of both worlds and it would kind of do what many have been suggesting over the years and puts them one step closer to slowing down waterside drive.. I knew this proposal was coming when they talked about demo-ing the addition, so i'm not surprised at all. Even if you feel as though its too big, your decision shouldn't be to demo it. Its tons of ideas that could have been drawn up for that, even letting that out for another developer.  Seems like they stuck at a willingness to privatize the part of the EBR.

Edited by brikkman

The Waterside parking garage would be a great spot for a new tower (min. 30 stories), with room for a taller garage and street level shops to compliment Waterside and Selden Arcade. Could do a lot to spruce up a pretty quiet part of downtown.

I believe the current garage is four stories; maybe build a new one with six to eight?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With the addition of Starr Hill Brewery confirmed this project has gone from "meh" to something I'm really looking forward to. I've honestly not been paying any attention to this project, couldn't have cared less. Nothing was really exciting me, but this is an interesting concept. This will really compliment the new apartments over there and give that area of downtown some life.

http://www.pilotonline.com/business/starr-hill-brewery-joins-plan-for-norfolk-s-new-waterside/article_60494835-0238-5f23-92ca-607d1bc90204.html

Waterside would benefit from dropping Waterside Dr. to 2 lanes and putting in parallel parking down it like Hampton did on Settlers Landing Rd. Even dropping the speed limit down or changing the pavement from asphalt to brick. Make the area more pedestrian friendly because cars do fly down that road coming off of the interstate. 

3 hours ago, brikkman said:

So, last i heard about this they were going to tear down the newest wing of waterside. Did they let that ride or are they going to demo it?

I talked with someone last night who works downtown, and she said it's still a go for demolition.

3 hours ago, Virginia City said:

Waterside would benefit from dropping Waterside Dr. to 2 lanes and putting in parallel parking down it like Hampton did on Settlers Landing Rd. Even dropping the speed limit down or changing the pavement from asphalt to brick. Make the area more pedestrian friendly because cars do fly down that road coming off of the interstate. 

So much traffic comes through there though.  I just did a glance at the VDOT website to compare Settlers Landing Rd and if I read it right I believe Waterside handles about 3 times the amount of vehicles daily.  Could be fixed with a better ramp at Brambleton/264 possibly though.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, NFKjeff said:

I have walked by and peered into the windows recently (last weekend.) There is a lot of work happening on the exterior. All of the planking at the marina is being replaced with new wood, and that is coming along nicely. There is also quite a bit of utility work taking place at the corner of the structure (where Hooter was located.) The interior is gutted, and you can see by that, the expansion side (to the right of the pedestrian bridge when facing Waterside) will indeed be demolished.

they know better than me of course.

still think its a dumb idea to demo that part of the building without building something else. Essentially making the foot print smaller to appear more full perhaps? or maybe they plan on adding a stage of some type! They have an open stage here in bmore.

I was reminded  last year that the parking deck behind the marriot was actually waterside parking and not marriot parking. Too bad that deck could not be demoed and something replaced along with a parking garage. I know that idea was kicked around before, definitely worth considering now especially with BOA going residential and waterside trying 3.0.

This is more for off topic, with BOA going residential and land locked in DT, it appears that NFK as abandoned the idea of expanding their business district with these new plans and the ultimate plan for SPQ. Is anyone else getting that impression? There are only two lots left in the DT area to expand upward.

2 hours ago, brikkman said:

This is more for off topic, with BOA going residential and land locked in DT, it appears that NFK as abandoned the idea of expanding their business district with these new plans and the ultimate plan for SPQ. Is anyone else getting that impression? There are only two lots left in the DT area to expand upward.

I definitely have that impression. I know SPQ is going to be a long process, but the city doesn't seem to know what they want out of that area. Just playing SimCity for a second, I think a couple of towers could go where McDonald's and Popeye's are, then invite those two to be on the ground floor of said towers.

You have a little bit of room on the Harbor Park side of 264, but I'd love to see that become a low-rise Town Center type setup. Something like what you'd see at ODU's village. Maybe one 25-30 story tower, but everything else shops and restaurants. Only other option I see is to start building on the other side of Brambleton, maybe where the old Greyhound station is. 

Hopefully the next mayor is a visionary for the future of downtown. A lot of potential to make it grow.

• 1 month later...

http://www.norfolk.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/2298?fileID=5285

Not sure how many people have seen the "change in direction" that Cordish has taken.

Pages 10 and 11 of the link above give us a good idea of what kind of atmosphere they will try to cultivate. It appears they have mellowed it out architecturally.

Thoughts?

According to Paragraph IV on Page 1, Waterside Live! has become the Waterside District.  It has changed to "a marketplace and brew house concept rather than a live entertainment concept".  How is a market place and brew house concept any different from what it was five years ago, when all this started?  

• Like 1

I would've loved to see some interior renderings, because the exterior ones leave something to be desired. Although, it is a more procedural graphic than the ones published in public statements.

Right now I'm just wondering what their plan is. We don't really know of any of the tenants, except for Starr Hill. I guess there'll be a marketplace, so I presume there'll be a large interior space that can be used for farmers markets and the like. But what else can compliment a marketplace and a brewery? Some restaurants? I still want to have hope for this project, but I'm worried with it's trajectory right now.