SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

Since it relates to the office building going up on the old food truck Friday/Common Market site, the owners of Phat Burrito have in at least one story I've come across made the claim that one of the big reasons for closing was a "lack of parking" since they started construction across the street. How valid is this claim considering that

A: they're about as close to Bland Street Station as any business in the area.

B:There's ample street parking and a parking garage with two hour parking (for Carabba's, but who's gonna know?) right over the tracks.

I admit I've never eaten there but I imagine if it was as good as some claim then having to make some changes to your habits, in other words, where you park, wouldn't scare too many loyal customers off, I know I'd walk a few blocks for some Bojangles or KFC. 

Final point to make: what did they honestly think would happen to the common market site? Surely the did not expect that field to one day be a parking lot for them?

6 hours ago, nakers2 said:

Since it relates to the office building going up on the old food truck Friday/Common Market site, the owners of Phat Burrito have in at least one story I've come across made the claim that one of the big reasons for closing was a "lack of parking" since they started construction across the street. How valid is this claim considering that

A: they're about as close to Bland Street Station as any business in the area.

B:There's ample street parking and a parking garage with two hour parking (for Carabba's, but who's gonna know?) right over the tracks.

I admit I've never eaten there but I imagine if it was as good as some claim then having to make some changes to your habits, in other words, where you park, wouldn't scare too many loyal customers off, I know I'd walk a few blocks for some Bojangles or KFC. 

Final point to make: what did they honestly think would happen to the common market site? Surely the did not expect that field to one day be a parking lot for them?

Heres what I say to their parking claim... The massive line of people that went to eat there after they heard it was closing for good found parking...

Amos' owner cited a lack of parking as a big reason for them to shut down, with the HD Supply site across the street planned for development.  Fast forward six months and the same owner is converting the building into a large restaurant/bar, with no mention of planned additional parking.  Not that there aren't challenges associated with losing parking, but nearby development makes for an easy target to point the finger at when closing a business people love.

• Like 3

Parking in Dilworth/South End:

I enjoy an occasional Fish and chips at Big Ben in Atherton Mill (actually the former Parks-Cramer building) at Tremont. Since the renovation there I have twice tried to go and the parking is next to impossible. With a new restaurant next to them in the former Ferguson fixtures location plus other evening hour retail in the building the only auto location was at the now closed Bonz/Icehouse. Once that re-opens (news?) there goes that neighborhood. Camden was also parked full at these visits. I suppose I could have walked around the block but too many choices.

Also I tried to go to Dilworth tasting room at 5:30 on a Thursday afternoon. Tremont was nearly impassable there because of cars everywhere, both sides of street for two blocks making it a one lane street with two way traffic. A slow drive in front of the building showed a sea of heads inside and thus no seating and SRO, so bag that idea. Two strikes on one evening in Dilworth/South End. I went by the next day to check hours and the Tasting room opens at 4 p. m. so if you want to go I suggest being in line at 4.

4 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Parking in Dilworth/South End:

I enjoy an occasional Fish and chips at Big Ben in Atherton Mill (actually the former Parks-Cramer building) at Tremont. Since the renovation there I have twice tried to go and the parking is next to impossible. With a new restaurant next to them in the former Ferguson fixtures location plus other evening hour retail in the building the only auto location was at the now closed Bonz/Icehouse. Once that re-opens (news?) there goes that neighborhood. Camden was also parked full at these visits. I suppose I could have walked around the block but too many choices.

Also I tried to go to Dilworth tasting room at 5:30 on a Thursday afternoon. Tremont was nearly impassable there because of cars everywhere, both sides of street for two blocks making it a one lane street with two way traffic. A slow drive in front of the building showed a sea of heads inside and thus no seating and SRO, so bag that idea. Two strikes on one evening in Dilworth/South End. I went by the next day to check hours and the Tasting room opens at 4 p. m. so if you want to go I suggest being in line at 4.

Not a parking issue, but I had a similar experience recently trying to go out in NoDa on a Friday night. Every restaurant on a 1.5+ hour wait. Bars packed to the brim with people on the sidewalk looking in waiting for a space to open up. All our desirable neighborhoods are adding residents at a breakneck pace but our actual places to go and hang out are not keeping up. I hope we're about to see an explosion of new retail and bar and restaurant space to fulfill some obviously pent up demand and distribute the crowds a little bit.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

Not a parking issue, but I had a similar experience recently trying to go out in NoDa on a Friday night. Every restaurant on a 1.5+ hour wait. Bars packed to the brim with people on the sidewalk looking in waiting for a space to open up. All our desirable neighborhoods are adding residents at a breakneck pace but our actual places to go and hang out are not keeping up. I hope we're about to see an explosion of new retail and bar and restaurant space to fulfill some obviously pent up demand and distribute the crowds a little bit.

There's always going to be growing pains, but as long as they're filling up these businesses aren't going anywhere and new places are going to come in and try to steal what they can from the overflow crowds. As far as parking goes, if there's any neighborhood that doesn't need more parking it's the South Boulevard corridor near uptown. There will be some growing pains but if Charlotte wants to shed its reputation as a car city it needs to start in places like SouthEnd, Uptown and NoDa.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jayvee said:

Okay Asana, I see you, I see you. Damn this looks good 

IMG_5291.JPG

IMG_5292.JPG

Remember, these are conceptual but they give an idea of what they're going for, which is amazing. Heads are in the right place. 

Sneaky underrated part of this design - the side alley. Need more of those

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, mfowler12 said:

Sneaky underrated part of this design - the side alley. Need more of those

This project and the alley you mentioned kind of reminds me of Huashan 1914 Creative Park from work trips to Taipei.  It's an adaptive reuse of old buildings mostly for exhibition space.  But looks somewhat similar (ours being less aged), especially the alley.

http://www.willflyforfood.net/2014/11/08/get-artsy-in-taipei-at-huashan-and-songshan-creative-parks/

Image result for Huashan 1914 Creative Park

4 minutes ago, jtmonk said:

So what is the deal with the townhomes that caught on fire a few months ago?  I assume they can do anything to them right now because of the fire investigation and/or insurance purposes.  Has any heard anything else about it?

They just got demo permits. Not sure if they rebuild or not.

The demolition permits for the affected units have been applied for, so I believe insurance has already been settled.

As far as Phat Burrito....I mean, he's been in business for 23 years (and he's there almost every day).  That's a long time at one job.  I'd agree he just doesn't care, but its not about a suburban/urban mindset.  At one point he owned a couple of big SUV's and lived in Myers Park, and he downsized, and was living in a condo 3 blocks away and started riding a bicycle to work.  I think the construction legitimately has stalled the business, but he would get more customers once the work was completed (and all those hungry workers were across the street).  In reality, it was just time, and no need to struggle through a slow-down while the construction take place....time for him to walk away and enjoy doing something else.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Couple of views of South End  today The change in this area over the last few years is nothing short of amazing. Taken today on this cloudy day. (Last photo the fire sale at the David Weekley townhomes and I know it is a bad joke) 

Nice photos. Every time I drive by the new Ferguson building I have to suppress deep feelings of rage. Could be just me, though.

Capture.PNG

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, lewy2000 said:

Nice photos. Every time I drive by the new Ferguson building I have to suppress deep feelings of rage. Could be just me, though.

Capture.PNG

I agree they should have moved further out or down South Tryon or South Blvd and sold that land. Not sure what they were thinking. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jtmonk said:

So what is the deal with the townhomes that caught on fire a few months ago?  I assume they can do anything to them right now because of the fire investigation and/or insurance purposes.  Has any heard anything else about it?

99% sure they are self insured...I bet that will change

6 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

That would be UGE.

7 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

So maybe we will get our own tiny version of Stone after all (Stone's former head brewer is one of the founders)!

9 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

That building is AWESOME. So nice it's being preserved.

• Like 1

I agree, while still within the typical stick-built apartment style, Solis is actually turning out pretty decent and has a solid feel at street level. The retail space glass fronting South is varied at different angles which adds some interest, and even the beige showing in that photo is actually brick and looks good up close. The garage entrance placement is a bit unfortunate though, I wish it could have been on Remount instead where traffic is moving much slower. 

Edited by nonillogical
  • Like 1